• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Best Signing of the Last Decade

Best Signing of the Last Decade

• Jermain Defoe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Michael Carrick

• Aaron Lennon

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • Dimitar Berbatov

Votes: 10 11.6%
  • Gareth Bale

Votes: 37 43.0%
  • Luka Modric

Votes: 15 17.4%
  • Rafael Van Der Vaart

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Sandro

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Emmanuel Adebayor

• Other

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters
i'm gonna throw another name in, Martin Jol - he lifted the whole aura around the place, we'd lurched from one disaster to another for a long long time but once he was promoted to the top job Spurs became fun again, it may have been coincidence, it may have been luck but our recent ascent started under his infectious enthusiasm.

If we are going past playing staff.... When did Daniel Levy assume his role?

Took over in early 2001.

As to all the love for Aaron, I totally agree that he was a superb signing - especially for the price.

But we all have to concede that Gareth Bale is on an altogether different level. World class.

So good they signed him twice

sns2576aa682_424814a.jpg

Attachments

• sns2576aa682_424814a.jpg
    sns2576aa682_424814a.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 3
Best Bargain = Lennon, no contest (as several others have covered)

Best Player = Berbatov/Modric/VDV, when I think of the dross I watched 10 years ago, vs. seeing those 3 play.

Most Promise = Bale, he has all the tools, he just needs to stay grounded and with us (to keep playing/developing), hope the kid has good advisors.

I'm split between two

Aaron Lennon is the best bargain signing on the last decade £1m was an absolute steal

Gareth Bale although not a snip at £7m? Has turned into a superb signing and will no doubt earn us a massive profit when we eventually sell him

I'm split between two

Aaron Lennon is the best bargain signing on the last decade £1m was an absolute steal

Gareth Bale although not a snip at £7m? Has turned into a superb signing and will no doubt earn us a massive profit when we eventually sell him

They are our Giggs and Scholes! Will be here for life. (I wish)

Has to be Bale, isn't it. He is the only Spurs player who gets apprecited by all those not involved with Spurs : the players, the media, the pundits, the fans etc. I think he is the only one being linked with the likes of Real Madrid and Barcelona on a regular basis.

How good have we become with players that top top clubs want to come in for ? It's been a joy to witness since circa 2004-5.

Berba for me, some of his finishing was truly sublime, shame it ended in tears tho. But we have been lucky to choose from azza, bale, modders, vdv - palacios did a fab job too, teemu too, in fact it's now a nice list.

Indeed we can say we have been spoilt in the last 6 years with some of our signings. Voting for Berbatov, was a joy to see his link up play with Keane, his touch and finishing so effortless and pure class. Heres hoping we do resign him...

While I I can't dance with all the love for Lennon, Bale, Modric, VdV, Sandro and Berba i think Carrick deserves a shout as well. Probably not the very best signing, but he was our best player for two seasons in my opinion and absolutely key to a very important part of the last decade for us. Apart from one longish dip in form he's been almost ever present for Manu since signing for them. Great player and we still miss him, very few players like that around. Unlike Berba he's shown himself to not only be a very good player, but also be solid, effective and dependable over time.

i'm gonna throw another name in, Martin Jol - he lifted the whole aura around the place, we'd lurched from one disaster to another for a long long time but once he was promoted to the top job Spurs became fun again, it may have been coincidence, it may have been luck but our recent ascent started under his infectious enthusiasm.

If we are going past playing staff.... When did Daniel Levy assume his role?

Levy was hit and miss during his first few years (poorly timed sackings etc). It was the signing of Arnsen that was the turning point. Levy wanted a big name, hence the lingering Pleat caretakership. Arnsen wanted Jol and manipulated things through a brief Santini stint. Arnsen delivered Jol and since then we have been on a generally upward trend. Lennon and Dawson perhaps represent this change.

As for the others, one can make a case for any of them using different criteria: bargain, class, what they did for the team, etc. It's hard to criticise any of the arguments put forward for Bale, Modric, Berbatov or Defoe. I'd say we probably underestimate Modric a bit now, as his parting is recent, while we've largely forgiven Berbatov now his is out of OT. The love for Bale will fade quickly if he leaves.

Aaron Lennon for me as well. Only cost us £1 million and has started consistently for this club for over five years. He's on course for his testimonial and I hope he stays with the club until that day. Fantastic signing.

Lennon can be a super player, and was an amazing bargain, but he doesn't score enough goals for me. The dilemma I had was between Berba and Modric as both were sublime players for us. Like someone else I also wondered about Carrick. Overall the upward curve when Jol came in, maintained by Harry and (touch wood) by AVB, has been a real delight. Disappointments along the way, of course, not least at Wembley, but having a team which is a definite "top 6, maybe top 4 or 5", is a great feeling after the wilderness years of the Sugar regime.

Wow, just looking at that list we have actually been incredibly fortunate in some of the talent we've seen in the past five years or so...

Back