• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Best Signing of the Last Decade

Best Signing of the Last Decade

• Jermain Defoe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Michael Carrick

• Aaron Lennon

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • Dimitar Berbatov

Votes: 10 11.6%
  • Gareth Bale

Votes: 37 43.0%
  • Luka Modric

Votes: 15 17.4%
  • Rafael Van Der Vaart

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Sandro

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Emmanuel Adebayor

• Other

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters

SUIYHA

Scott Parker
With the January transfer window about to open, who would you rate as our best signing of the last decade? I've tried to narrow the poll down to the ones I feel were best. Special mentions to the guys who brought in Dawson and Assou-Ekotto who have made 449 appearances for us between them at a combined cost of just £7m. I haven't included the "wheeler dealing" type signings like Gudjohnsen or Cudicini even though they were great bits of business for the stop gaps they added to the team for a short period, or this summer's signings, even though I am convinced that Lloris, Dembele and Vertongen will prove to be fantastic bits of business.

Jermain Defoe - Total cost £13m + Zamora - The figure comes from the combined amount we spent on him in the two transfers minus what Pompey paid us. He joined us at a time when there weren't too many exciting players at Tottenham, let alone players who could score 20+ goals in a season. Defoe has scored 132 goals for the club, lots of them wonder goals and goals that have won us an uncountable number of matches over the years.

Michael Carrick - Signed for £2.5m, sold for £18.6m - He spent a year playing lower league football with West Ham and nobody wanted him. When Arnesen signed him, Santini didn't want him either. When Jol took over, he instantly recognised what he had and built his team around him. Suddenly, we became a team that was very good at maintaining possession, was very difficult to break down, and for the first time in a generation was capable of competing for a Champions League spot. Only two years after signing him, we made a £16m profit on his sale but struggled badly without him.

Aaron Lennon - Signed for £1m - Lennon has epitomised the fast paced attacking football we've played over the last 7 or 8 years. For 1/50th the cost of Fernando Torres, we have a player that has made almost 300 appearances for the club and is still only 25.

Dimitar Berbatov - Signed for £10.9m, sold for £30.75m - I don't think anyone would argue that we've had a better striker than Berbatov in the last 15 years, if not longer. For two years, he was our talisman, the leader of our attack and massively raised the profile of our club IMO. Not only was he our top scorer in both of his seasons here, but he created so many chances for his team mates that we became one of the most prolific goalscoring teams in the league. After only two years, we made a £20m profit on his sale.

Gareth Bale - Signed for £10m - Took a while to get going here, curse of Bale and all that, but I don't need to remind you of what he's done for us over the last 3 years. It is widely accepted that we have one of the best wingers in the world on our hands.

Luka Modric - Signed for £16m, sold for £30m - Getting him in was a real coup as lots of bigger clubs were interested in Modric. Since the departure of Carrick we were no longer a team that kept possession well, Modric brought this back. His first touch and passing ability were both at least as good as Carrick's, but he also added the dribbling skills and an ability to transition play from defence to attack that we haven't seen at Spurs since the days of Gascoigne or Ardiles. We had four seasons from him and made a £14m profit from his transfer.

Rafael Van Der Vaart - Signed for £8m, sold for £10m - No major profit on his transfer, but this was a classic deadline day bargain at only £8m. More end product than Modric, he had a knack of scoring important goals as well as creating them and was our top scorer in his first season. He was a huge fans favourite and had a knack of performing against Arsenal, with a goal and two assists in his first derby, two goals in his second and then another goal in his third.

Sandro - Signed for £8m - Used mostly as an impact player in his first two seasons, but has grown into arguably the best defensive midfielder in the Premiership. He's been our player of the season thus far in my eyes and is getting better and better.

Emmanuel Adebayor - Loan then £5m - Form has been below par this season, but for a loan signing last season he was phenomenal. Nobody since Sheringham has scored 17 league goals in their first season with us, his pace, strength and unpredictable movement made us very difficult to defend against. 12 assists meant he'd had a hand in 29 league goals last season, more than any Spurs player has achieved since they started counting assist stats.

Lennon for me. He's been such a large part of everything we've done in the past 5/6 years. Amazing signing

Lennon for me. 1m? fudging BARGAIN OF THE CENTURY forget decade.

However

Best signing in hindsight has got to be Bale as at the time it wasnt like wow.

In terms of awe - gotta be Modric. Berba signing same as Bale in terms of the lack of wow factor.

Berbatov for me, he was on a whole different level of class, never seen another player at Spurs with a touch as good as his

Bale.

We paid big money for what was then just a kid. But he was still an absolute steal.

Best player I've seen in a Spurs shirt since Gazza.

We've had some great years out of him. He's been a joy to watch. And, though it sounds horribly "modern football" to say so, we will make a monstrous profit from his inevitable sale - which will help us to keep moving on and up. Diving controversy aside, he's also been a model professional - completely likeable and down to earth - and I will still take great pleasure and pride in watching him even for the likes of Madrid or Barca. Hopefully, if he ever returns to the Premier League, it will be to play for us - or at least not for Arsenal or Chelsea.

I voted Bale, but now I think about it I probably should have stuck with my original thoughts of Berbatov. Don't get me wrong, Bale was a ridiculously good deal, but I think part of who he is today is down moreso to our development of him and how he's progressed after we bought him.

Whereas for Berbatov, it was the perfect storm of paying good but not ridiculous money on a talent overseas, and he just comes in and is the real deal. If we could manage a Berbatov signing every other season, we'd be laughing. Think about how often clubs buy foreigners, especially strikers, and they flatter to deceive (Rebrov, Postiga, etc) yet with Berbs it worked out perfectly - well, initially anyway.

In terms of awe - gotta be Modric.

Not sure that "awe" is the word that I would use but I agree that Modric was the signing that got me most excited the moment I heard about it.

Best thing is that it came out of absolutely nowhere. No itk. No paper talk. Nothing. Just wham.........we've signed Luka Modric! A player of real class and potential who, at the time, was expected to go to the likes of Arsenal or Chelsea. And we clinched the deal in late April as opposed to the usual late August scramble. Just perfect.

Got to be Lennon for me. £1m and he has been our first choice winger for years. Easily got another 5 years in him as well and I would love to see him win a few trophies with us. While other players on that list have come and gone, Azza has always been there and has always been improving. I remember the days when everyone thought he was brick, people still don't really rate him compared to our other players (he is never linked with a move away) but he has developed into such a great player who is always committed in attack and defence.

I think it was worth wasting £15m on Bentley just to give him a kick up the arse!

My heart says Bale for what he could become my head and vote said Berba. The only truly world class player we have had since Ginola and Klinsmann. Just loved it when he played for us. Bale may become but not quite there yet. Never really rated Modric as much as other posters, the loss of Carrick and Berbatov were more damaging for us imo, especially as we have Dembele whom I rate immensely.

Last edited:
Never rated Modric? Not sure if serious.

Easily the best player at the Lane in a very long time, with Bale. Wonderful talent

Aaron Lennon - £1,000,000.

Came in and shone as a 17 year old, giving our team something new and fresh and caused havoc for defences ever since. He helped us get our highest finish in the Premier League ever (5th) and was ever present in the same team that got us our next highest finish (4th) a few years later. Still going and has well over 300 appearences for the club. Has captained the club, scored some very memorable goals against the likes of Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, set up winners against the likes of AC Milan in a massive Champions League game that saw us get to the quarter finals and well, he's just been fudging amazing.

Azza. The fact that he's made 216 appearances for us, scored 25 goals, provided 39 assists, been a mainstay of our right flank for six-odd years, and looks set to stay for quite a while yet.....when you take all this into consideration, alongside the fact that he's still 25 and thus (according to established football thought) still has his best years ahead of him.....when you think about all this, his 1 million pound fee definitely makes him the best signing of the last decade.

I am going to put a name forward, which will be totally out of left field. I would like to nominate a player who was a proven international, we signed him on a free transfer and he was instrumental in changing not only the dynamic of the team, but developing a winning mentality in others around him! I give you Edgar Davids?

Back