• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Best film of the 80s - Top Gun v Scarface

Which film is better?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

milo

Jack L. Jones
Top Gun

Directed by Tony Scott
Produced by Don Simpson and Jerry Bruckheimer
Written by Jim Cash and Jack Epps Jr.
Starring Tom Cruise, Kelly McGillis, Val Kilmer, Anthony Edwards and Tom Skerritt

V

Scarface

Directed by Brian De Palma
Produced by Martin Bregman
Screenplay by Oliver Stone
Starring Al Pacino

Is there any possible definition which fits Top Gun?
Fair point but I've noticed different criteria applied in different votes. Say for argument sake that someone decided to make an argument on which film had the most cultural impact for example then the debate swings a different way, or might.

I blame the moderators who are beyond lax in setting the terms of reference.

Last edited:
I blame the moderators who are beyond lax in setting the terms of reference.

Quite. It’s pretty unimpressive that someone can become a volunteer moderator on a second-tier Spurs discussion board when they can’t even come up with an objective framework for quantifying artistic merit. Country’s going to the dogs.

Quite. It’s pretty unimpressive that someone can become a volunteer moderator on a second-tier Spurs discussion board when they can’t even come up with an objective framework for quantifying artistic merit. Country’s going to the dogs.
We've been promoted!

1*Ek2FBHQZuLKgT19jKEZoUQ.gif

I think I voted for Top Gun by mistake :eek:

MIght have to watch Scareface again. Or a YouTube reel of the best bits. It's a quintisential film of its genre is it not?

Wrong way round. I'm a second-tier moderator on a voluntary Spurs discussion board

I always loved fighter jets since I was very young, and Top Gun certainly didn't dampen that interest. Scarface is the better film, but the US Navy ad gets my vote. It's one of those movies that define the eighties.

Never seen a " Tom Cruise" movie without him playing " Tom Cruise" plays "Tom Cruise" plays "Tom Cruise".

I am not a big fan of Scarface, but I really dislike movies that have Tom Cruise. It is a chore watching him act.

Back