• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Best English centre half in the last decade

Best English centre half in the last decade

• King

Votes: 57 76.0%
  • Campbell

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Terry

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Ferdinand

Votes: 10 13.3%
  • Woodgate

Votes: 3 4.0%

• Total voters
if you're born in England, are you not English?

Mate, he only ended up in England as his mother came over to London 2 days before he was born. He then returned immediately to Ireland to various foster families. He's got an Irish accent, an Irish passport and played for Ireland.

If you ever met your 'idol', how about you tell him that you think he's actually English.

You'll be dropped on your ass before you know it.

Mate, he only ended up in England as his mother came over to London 2 days before he was born. He then returned immediately to Ireland to various foster families. He's got an Irish accent, an Irish passport and played for Ireland.

If you ever met your 'idol', how about you tell him that you think he's actually English.

You'll be dropped on your ass before you know it.

I'll give it a think

"Best" - never quite sure what that means.

But on the question of the most naturally talented, it was Woodgate and King joint 1st for me. I couldn't separate the two - it's impossibly close.

Top-class players though they are, Terry, Rio and Campbell are very clearly (for me anyway) a notch down on those two using this definition.

Lots of similarities between McGrath and King. Probably the best defenders of their generation. Superb reading of the game and deceptively quick. Both have dodgy knees too.

Lots of similarities between McGrath and King. Probably the best defenders of their generation. Superb reading of the game and deceptively quick. Both have dodgy knees too.

Not sure how King was deceptively quick. He was quick and looked it.

I assumed you meant it as in kings later career to be honest so I get what you mean if you mean that, I've always found kings recovery pace astonishingly fast even last season, perhaps mot in the tail end of it but, certainly the majority of it. I already miss him.

That has to be one of the most terrifying things I've ever read.

Do you want a hug?

The scary thing is that he managed to make over 50 appearances for us, he really was brick, up there with the worst I've ever seen play in the top flight.

Top lad though, always give his all and a massive Saudi Sportswashing Machine fan, just not very good.

As much as i loved King Rio was a better CB for me, and the best i ever saw in a Spurs shirt was Mike England.

Terry will alwas be undeniable scum. But I think you can't ignore that he has been one hell of a centre back throughout his career.

Ledley King all day for me still. Hard for me to be unbiased.
King and Woody if they stayed fit could have achieved greater things than Terry and Rio.

Woodgate is the second best centre half I've seen for Saudi Sportswashing Machine, he was immense in his short time here, a real shame injuries ruined him as he could have gone on to be something very special.

The scary thing is that he managed to make over 50 appearances for us, he really was brick, up there with the worst I've ever seen play in the top flight.

Top lad though, always give his all and a massive Saudi Sportswashing Machine fan, just not very good.

How about Dabizas? Didn't he score an own goal in a game he was also red carded in and made a defensive mistake for another of the opponent's goals? I think that was him and he never impressed me. And I appreciate that this is going OT as we're talking English defenders.

Maybe on that note we can add in Kevin Scott?? Conceded penalties in consecutive games for a spell and was useless as was Stuart Nethercott, I used to hate him. Players of that low ability help to reinforce to me just how good Ledley King was.

How about Dabizas? Didn't he score an own goal in a game he was also red carded in and made a defensive mistake for another of the opponent's goals? I think that was him and he never impressed me. And I appreciate that this is going OT as we're talking English defenders.

Maybe on that note we can add in Kevin Scott?? Conceded penalties in consecutive games for a spell and was useless as was Stuart Nethercott, I used to hate him. Players of that low ability help to reinforce to me just how good Ledley King was.

Dabizas, like Bramble, had an almighty **** up in him but not as often as Bramble. Dabizas wasn't great but on his day he was a solid centre back and chipped in with his fair share of goals.

Top 3 at Saudi Sportswashing Machine in my life would be Coloccini, Woodgate and Albert.

I'd have King, Woody, Rio, Terry and judas

King and woody two very calm and very talented CBs; if they hadn't had their injuries, maybe even woody more so, they would've been regular pairing at England. I mean Woody was bought by Real Madrid... when he was still facing injuries. Those two and their reading of the game and handling all situations, just mesmeric for me, felt safe as houses if we had those two fit and in our lineup (see CC win).

I think Ferdinand was the best. King might have been but there is more evidence supporting Ferdinand. It's very hard to judge centre backs, so much depends on the partner and defence as a whole (and the team's strategies).

Someone said that Vidic made Ferdinand look good, I can't agree with that. Last season was not the one to judge Ferdinand, he's getting old and injuries are catching up with him. I remember that game at OT when Ferdinand was out and Torres made Vidic look pub standard.

Ferdinand was always absolutely flawless in world cups. With Ledley we never got to see that.

Last edited:
Back