• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Best English centre half in the last decade

Best English centre half in the last decade

• King

Votes: 57 76.0%
  • Campbell

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Terry

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Ferdinand

Votes: 10 13.3%
  • Woodgate

Votes: 3 4.0%

• Total voters
In terms of footballing ability:

King
Ferdinand
Campbell
Woodgate
Terry

in that order.

I voted King.

But, at his best, Rio was every bit as good, IMO.

Terry not fit to lace either's boots.

On ability, Ledley and Rio are pretty much neck and neck IMHO, Spurs-bias would probably edge it to the King though.

Then Woodgate and Judas.

Then Terry, a couple of notches down.

I know he's not everyone's cup of tea as a person but putting Terry behind Woodgate is ridiculous, imv

I'd have him 2nd in that poll all day long

Last edited:
Ledley was considerably better than Ferdinand IMHO.

I really don't get it with Ferdinand. A fine CB but he has ALWAYS had GREAT partners at Man U who have bailed him out IMHO...I actually think Woodgate, when 100%, was always a superior player to Ferdinand, and as such, when King and Woodgate played for us, the best CB pairing in football..

Hate Terry, but he is an undeniable spirit. Together with Ledley at the back for England and we'd have had an amazing defense...

If Ledley had stayed fit, he would've easily been the best English centre half. Reckon he would've displaced Terry from England easily.
Ferdinand has also been a classy defender for years though.

Never seen what all the fuss is about when it comes to Ferdinand. You see how much United struggle without Vidic in the side. Terry is a grade A ****, but he's a great defender and he's had some blinders as well as some stinkers against us. Not really sure where Woodgate stands amongst the five. Probably fifth to be honest.

King>Terry>Campbell>Ferdinand>Woodgate IMO

It was me that voted for John (captain leader legend) Terry.

I misread the poll as Biggest Racist and **** in the last 100 decades

My bad, sorry.

Was Des Walker really better than King? :O My interest in football was only really starting from World Cup '90 so I knew Walker was good but didn't know that he was 'that' good.

King is standout defender and that's without reaching his full potential. If he hadn't suffered the injuries perhaps he could have become the World's greatest ever centre back...maybe.

Back