• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Best English centre half in the last decade

Best English centre half in the last decade

• King

Votes: 57 76.0%
  • Campbell

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Terry

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Ferdinand

Votes: 10 13.3%
  • Woodgate

Votes: 3 4.0%

• Total voters
Was Des Walker really better than King? :O My interest in football was only really starting from World Cup '90 so I knew Walker was good but didn't know that he was 'that' good.

King is standout defender and that's without reaching his full potential. If he hadn't suffered the injuries perhaps he could have become the World's greatest ever centre back...maybe.

If he HAD become the player he should have been, would he have stayed his whole career at Spurs? It's not an easy subject to approach, but I don't think we would have seen the best defender in the world spend his whole career with a club that wasn't CL regulars. We would have gotten some serious offers.

If he HAD become the player he should have been, would he have stayed his whole career at Spurs? It's not an easy subject to approach, but I don't think we would have seen the best defender in the world spend his whole career with a club that wasn't CL regulars. We would have gotten some serious offers.

After his big international breakthrough at Euro 2004, he'd've gone to Madrid or someone by 2005 or 2006 had injuries not intervened IMO.

After his big international breakthrough at Euro 2004, he'd've gone to Madrid or someone by 2005 or 2006 had injuries not intervened IMO.

No disrespect to King, but he's a legend with us because he didn't fulfill his potential. Had he gone, he would be a much bigger name worldwide, but we might not hold him in such high esteem.

Sadly yes, he would have gone. He could have played at any level he wanted to!

Was Des Walker really better than King? :O My interest in football was only really starting from World Cup '90 so I knew Walker was good but didn't know that he was 'that' good.

King is standout defender and that's without reaching his full potential. If he hadn't suffered the injuries perhaps he could have become the World's greatest ever centre back...maybe.

Late 80s and very early 90s Walker was one of the very best in the world. He was in the 1990 team of the tournament. I guess anyone under 30 might have an unfairly negative opinion of him due to his long dotage at Wednesday.

He was quite similar to King in style actually - quick, fantastic clean tackler and very calm.

Last edited:
No disrespect to King, but he's a legend with us because he didn't fulfill his potential. Had he gone, he would be a much bigger name worldwide, but we might not hold him in such high esteem.

Probably true. Although maybe he'd've carried us with him - led us to CL and beyond under Jol in tandem with Carrick, Keane and Berbatov etc.

I have to say Ferdinand for what he has achieved at the very top level ( world cups, CL etc ), Ledley is what might have been for me, upon saying that Leds is the best Spurs CB I have seen followed by England, Norman and Gough.

Late 80s and very early 90s Walker was one of the very best in the world. He was in the 1990 team of the tournament. I guess anyone under 30 might have an unfairly negative opinion of him due to his long dotage at Wednesday.

He was quite similar to King in style actually - quick, fantastic clean tackler and very calm.

King was a far better footballer than Des, Des used to train with the team I played for when he was only eight years old, always used to be getting in the way, lovely lad and really quick.

The fact that people beat Ledley King with the "he hasn't won anything" stick is absurd. Nobody holds it against Matt Le Tissier or Alan Shearer even though they didn't exactly win a hatful of medals.

The fact that people beat Ledley King with the "he hasn't won anything" stick is absurd. Nobody holds it against Matt Le Tissier or Alan Shearer even though they didn't exactly win a hatful of medals.

did Hasselbaink ever win anything?
Des Walker who has even been mentioned in this thread won the league cup twice, Ledley won it once (we won it 99 but I believe he didnt get a medal?)
Ginola hardly won anything, 1 league cup
di Natale doesnt have a single trophy

McGrath was born in England and probably qualifies for an English passport. How technically English that is, I don't know.

Back