• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Benjamin Stambouli

Dubai, I think you're way over reacting here.

I'm a big advocate of getting the manager the players he wants. And if a club doesn't do that, it's pretty quickly going to end in tears. Us not getting Moutinho for AVB was a shame, but actually the fault of the club wasn't not getting Mountinho, it was not getting AVB a similar type of player, or AVB's fault for not having back ups in mind and taking a 'Moutinho or bust' mentality. If a coach can only succeed with £30M first choice signings then he isn't the coach we want at a club like ours.

We hired Poch because he gets the best out of players. He improves them beyond recognition. He's a good fit for what we need, and we shouldn't need to get give him £30M players for him to do his job well. As a coach of a top 6 club, he should have a list of names he would like to get in order to carry off his style of football. If we can't get MS, it's important we get someone who is at least of a similar type to him, so that we implement the style MP wants. With AVB and Moutinho, it's like we didn't get this one player who would have liked everything together, and so the style of football we played never evolved to a consistently exciting level, because we had no back up of a similar type.

If anything, I think this transfer shows sound strategy at the club. We aren't dragging our heels until deadline day and potentially getting shafted, we are moving swiftly on if we see a deal become too much hassle but more importantly we are getting the right types of players in that we need.

I would also say that Capoue's performances in these first few games have probably suggested to Poch that he's exactly the type of player that can work in the system he will employ, and therefore doesn't need to spend £30M on a player to relegate Capoue to second choice, when Capoue himself was signed only a year ago for £10M and lauded for his potential. Capoue has probably played his way into a starting spot, meaning we need a similar type as back up, not an MS type. And that means the £30M can be better spent elsewhere. Again, I think this is intelligent strategy and should be praised, not be looked at as a cause for concern.

To add to this, the piece people are missing is Poch is not Mourinho/AVB/LVG who are only accustomed to having exactly the players they want.

Does anyone really think Poch wanted MS/JR/Davies when he joined Southampton? make no mistake, Spurs today is 3X better a squad.

Would MS have made Poch's transition to his system easier? possibly, but over time is MS the best player we could get Poch, unlikely?

Poch would never have had the quality of Lloris, Vert, Eriksen, Lamela, Ade in his squad, and never had the depth to cover injuries/suspensions, lets not ****ing pretend Poch suddenly has it tough, this is the best place he has ever been in his career.

The only way Levy is missing the boat is he doesn't give Poch time, not because he wont pay 30M for a mid tier player.

I have no problem with what we've done. Southampton's political situation meant that we were probably going to have to pay £10m too much for Schneiderlin. Rather than do what Liverpool did and just pay it, I'd rather we use the very good scouting set-up we have in Baldini & Broomfield to identify a cheaper option, but of the same quality.

When Schneiderlin was kicking about in league 1, where was the clamour to sign him?

Ossie Ardiles also said of Fazio that he didn't know much about him but that Pochettino spoke very highly of him.

I know its only Youtube, but the videos of Stambouli show me a Schneiderlin clone. He works very hard, wins loads of tackles and passes it forward and quickly while having neat feet to evade challenges.

For a while we've been saying we were envious of Saudi Sportswashing Machine's scouting system and how they were unearthing all these unknown players who they were then developing and selling on.

We do the same and people want us to spend inflated odds for 'known' star players.

I don't think this is an AVB situation. AVB was stubborn. I don't think Poch is. I think if Poch was really bothered about getting Schneiderlin, we wouldn't have moved for Stambouli now, we'd have still been trying to get Schneiderlin on deadline day.

It's probably Poch who has given the green light to switch targets.

We didn't know exactly how much AVB wanted Moutinho/Hulk/Willian last summer either, but I do get your point. Won't prevent some lingering apprehension about this move on my side, though.

Different men. Different personalities. Different issues…it's all good mate. Don't fret.

Cheap and good, why not? After all we don't have the luxury of extra TV money from champions league, and we still have a stadium to build. Not going for established players has to be our modus operandi for now. I'm sure Poch is aware of the brief. If he insists on his own players... He will not be different from AVB and Levy will be looking out for a new manager!

Sent from my SM-P605 using Fapatalk

Cheap and good, why not? After all we don't have the luxury of extra TV money from champions league, and we still have a stadium to build. Not going for established players has to be our modus operandi for now. I'm sure Poch is aware of the brief. If he insists on his own players... He will not be different from AVB and Levy will be looking out for a new manager!

Sent from my SM-P605 using Fapatalk

He is getting his own players though. They might not be 'number one' on his list, but Fazio was definately a Poch target according to Ossie Ardiles.

By Robin Bairner

Tottenham closed in on their sixth arrival of the summer transfer window on Friday evening when French outfit Montpellier announced that an accord had been reached over a fee for Benjamin Stambouli.

The holding midfielder, who celebrated his 24th birthday earlier this month, has long been tipped to depart the French champions of 2012, having outgrown a side that has regressed since the heady days of Olivier Giroud and Younes Belhanda.

Unlike Remy Cabella, who arrived at Saudi Sportswashing Machine from Montpellier with some fanfare, Stambouli is a player who has largely slipped under the radar of those who have only a fleeting interest in Ligue 1, despite having played over 100 matches in Le Championnat since debuting in 2010.

The reason? He is not a player of particular glamour, but like many of Mauricio Pocettino’s signings, he is a player of impressive consistency and fine technique.

He first made his breakthrough as a centre-back for the Stade de la Mosson side, but over the course of his stint in the senior team has shown versatility in his positioning, able to be used in the rearguard or as a bona fide central midfielder. More often than not, though, he is the holding presence in the midfield that binds the team together

Spurs fans might have hoped for Morgan Schneiderlin this summer, but in Stambouli they have a player with the potential to replicate the astounding rise of the Southampton star, whose profile is remarkably similar to the player it seems they are about to sign.

Schneiderlin, though, is perhaps a more natural central midfielder; a player willing to shuttle box-to-box and cover every area of the field. Stambouli is not a figure wanting for commitment – his wholehearted approach to the game has won him a great deal of acclaim in France – yet he is most comfortable patrolling the area in front of the defence.

International acclaim has not been won yet beyond the Under-21 ranks. The vast majority of nations would have called upon a player of Stambouli’s quality by this point, but he is unfortunate that Didier Deschamps has at his disposal a raft of excellent midfield options, including Paul Pogba, Yohan Cabaye and Blaise Matuidi.

With a relatively modest price tag believed to be in the region of £5.5 million, driven down by the fact his contract is due to expire next summer as well as a lack of international pedigree, he represents a more economical option than Schneiderlin

And with value comes interest. Until Montpellier’s announcement, the French press were of the widespread belief that Fiorentina and Swansea were in pole position to sign the wild-haired player, who had previously rejected the advances of hometown club Marseille, where his father was recently relieved of his post as director of youth.

Stambouli indicated that he felt it likely that OM would want him to play in their problematic defence, but he told Midi Libre earlier in the week that he was “not really hot” on that prospect.

So what of the other offers that may yet see the player whisked away from the White Hart Lane club? As of lunchtime, Montpellier owner Louis Nicollin insisted that both Swansea and Fiorentina, who the player has reportedly discussed terms with, had failed to make concrete offers for a player whose family is laced with footballing tradition.

As well as his father’s involvement at Marseille, he is the nephew of Laurent Banide, a previous coach of Monaco, and the grandson of Gerard Banide, who was previously in charge of both the principality side and OM.

Stambouli’s comportment and application on the football field is one of someone who loves the game. His attitude has never been in question, and though he has been omitted from the Montpellier squad in the last two weeks owing to the rife transfer speculation, he has said: “I’m training as hard as possible. And if nothing happens, well, why shouldn’t I stay? It’s not so bad here.”

With such an outlook and the guiding hand of Pochettino at Tottenham, there is no reason why he could not follow in the footsteps of Dejan Lovren, who completed the transition from Ligue 1 to Premier League with great success under the Argentine.

Difference between spending £60m or £14m.
I'd rather we live within our means and spend wisely.

Well summed up. And I really don't think it's beyond imagination that Poch would consider those deals better business for the club.

He is getting his own players though. They might not be 'number one' on his list, but Fazio was definately a Poch target according to Ossie Ardiles.

Excellent point again, and I imagine Ossie is in as good a position to comment as anyone we'll hear from.

Jesus Christ, this one broke this morning and I doubt anyone really knows much about him. How did it get to 7 pages??

After watching YouTube, I'll go on a limb and say that he is going to be worth a lot more in the next few years. I want us to get him at the reported price! Looks really special!

He's chosen Spurs, according to @GFN France.

Hurrah!

He looks like a poch signing ... Reads the game , aware and capable of quick transitions. Plus can dribble and strong too.

Sorry I like Sandro the character and the man very much. But we've lacked a proper deeplying playmaker for so long. Plus his pullbacks and reverse passes under pressure ... TO DARE IS TO DO!

( flame suit on)

Hurrah!

He looks like a poch signing ... Reads the game , aware and capable of quick transitions. Plus can dribble and strong too.

Sorry I like Sandro the character and the man very much. But we've lacked a proper deeplying playmaker for so long. Plus his pullbacks and reverse passes under pressure ... TO DARE IS TO DO!

( flame suit on)

Hopefully you're right about the description ;) Still waiting for the French people to finish their morning croissant and cappuccino and get their lazy asses onto glory-glory and give us the what's what on Super-Stambouli.

Could be that Sandro is going, could also be that the Schneiderlin deal is dead. Or of course it could be both, or neither (just to cover my bases).

Could be that Sandro is going, could also be that the Schneiderlin deal is dead. Or of course it could be both, or neither (just to cover my bases).

Exactly. Could be that the departures of say Sandro and Holtby together with the fact Poch thinks Bentaleb isn't quite ready means he wants MS and this French chap.
Could be that MS def not happening and he has been scouted as the closest thing to him.
Could be that Dembele will be included in the MS deal and Sandro is off.
So many permutations. Unfortunately we'll have to wait until Monday. I suspect if MS is still on, we'll start seeing it hot up on Monday morning.

He looks like the player that **** and United need right now IMO and if he makes us a stronger team/squad then we would be mad not to buy him

We all know schneiderlain wants to come, but if they won't sell we're betting off buying an alternative than waiting surely as Poch must have identified it as an area he wants a better player in.

I'm sure when we look for a player our first choice will be someone we may not be able to get but we will try.... And then move on if necessary. That's ambition combined with great football sense.

I've just brought a house and the owner wanted originally £60k more than I'm paying. Unlike Southampton they were willingly to negotiate over time, but like Southampton they had overvalued an asset they no longer wanted. We have now come to an agreement that suits both parties as they entered into negotiations. They could have told me where to go but they had a need to sell and we had a desire to buy. If only football was that simple all of the time

Back