• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Benjamin Stambouli - Sold to PSG

If true, I'm a little it sad to see him go. Had high hopes for the boy. But with Trippier, Walker, Dier and Yedlin also in the race, I guess we need to make some decisions.

Yes the times i have seen him he has always done OK, however i presume its a behind the scenes decision. Certainly has electric pace, then again so does Walker!

So I'm confused you say a double pivot then a defensive midfielder. Double pivot seems to be a stupid modern day term for having 2 box to box midfielders anyway but if we have one defensive and one attacking midfielder then isn't that just a stock midfield 2?

We don't have any players capable of playing a 'double pivot' really. Bentaleb doesn't track runners and doesn't seem anything special going forwards. Mason is OK at time up ahead but also can't track runners and his passing is Riquelme like one week followed by school kid the week after (or even both in the same game sometimes)

I'm not disagreeing

There are a lot of people on here who want one of our two of the "double pivot" to be a defensive midfielder. That for me wouldn't be the double pivot and would basically change the way we play to a stock midfield 2 as you describe

I'm not disagreeing

There are a lot of people on here who want one of our two of the "double pivot" to be a defensive midfielder. That for me wouldn't be the double pivot and would basically change the way we play to a stock midfield 2 as you describe

I agree

I always thought he looked very composed on the ball. Some sublime passing, a clever player. Unfortunately, it seemed like his speed let him down a bit (not being able to track back quickly enough on a few occasions). Sad to see him go so soon, to be honest.

I always thought he looked very composed on the ball. Some sublime passing, a clever player. Unfortunately, it seemed like his speed let him down a bit (not being able to track back quickly enough on a few occasions). Sad to see him go so soon, to be honest.

Get accustomed to it ... I think you are going to see 3 types of players come into the side under current policy

- Mid tier investments, i.e. players for a decent price with potential upside, right age, right price
- Young Academy/Youth team players
- One off, finished product purchases

The first group will probably have a very quick turnover (see Stambouli, Capoue, Holtby), either they adapt quickly and earn a place or we turn them over for even amount or small profit.

I'm not disagreeing

Yeh hilariously that whole 'double pivot' term that is now used describes how midfielders used to be in the olden days i.e If one goes, the other sits and vice versa. But you're not allowed to describe it like that anymore because that makes you a pie and chips football dinosaur.

Yeh hilariously that whole 'double pivot' term that is now used describes how midfielders used to be in the olden days i.e If one goes, the other sits and vice versa. But you're not allowed to describe it like that anymore because that makes you a pie and chips football dinosaur.

You will be upsetting the black box followers by saying that.;)

The best example of a true double pivot for me was the Viera/petit axis and that was in a 4-4-2. They had two perfect balance of pass move and one always say back to balance the other

The best example of a true double pivot for me was the Viera/petit axis and that was in a 4-4-2. They had two perfect balance of pass move and one always say back to balance the other

I believe that the purists prefer the Zokora/Jenas double pivot of dreams

Transferred from Tottenham the French midfielder signed, this Monday night, a 5 year contract that now binds him to Paris Saint-Germain.

Aged 24, this former member of France U21 participated in the conquest of the Ligue 1 title in 2011-2012 (26 appearances) with Montpellier Hérault SC, where he was formed. After an experience in England, Benjamin Stambouli, who already completed 112 Ligue 1 games since his professional debuts, decided to come back to France to contribute to both Paris Saint-Germain national and European ambitions.

54632.jpg

“I am delighted and very proud to become a member of the Paris Saint-Germain family. I wasn’t necessarily planning to leave the Premier League after one year but when a club with the dimension of Paris Saint-Germain calls you, it makes your choice a lot easier! That’s the moment when you can experience the power of attraction surrounding this club. I will now focus on my preparation. It will be important to take advantage of the friendly games that we still have to play in the US to find my marks on the pitch.”

“It is with a great pleasure that I welcome Benjamin Stambouli in our club, reacted Nasser Al-Khelaïfi, the president of Paris Saint-Germain. He is a French player who already proved the impact that he can bring to a midfield both athletically and technically. France is going to rediscover a player that was full of promises when he was playing in Ligue 1. During our summer tour in North America, Benjamin will have the opportunity to get integrated to the squad and learn to work with our technical staff.”

http://www.psg.fr/en/News/003001/Article/71683/Benjamin-Stambouli-signs-until-2020

Really don't understand the issue regarding Stambouli. Firstly, why did Pochettino buy him if we had no intention of giving him enough chances ? And to sell him after just 1 season when he didn't play much for us is really disappointing. It seems like we didn't do our homework before we bought him. For Stambouli, going from Spurs to PSG should be a good decision despite not playing much for us.

Really don't understand the issue regarding Stambouli. Firstly, why did Pochettino buy him if we had no intention of giving him enough chances ? And to sell him after just 1 season when he didn't play much for us is really disappointing. It seems like we didn't do our homework before we bought him. For Stambouli, going from Spurs to PSG should be a good decision despite not playing much for us.

Could be that he didn't show the sort of attitude that Poch wanted to keep. Not meaning he caused trouble but maybe Poch just didn't get the feeling he was that interested in earning a place or actually being here.

Also could be that Baldini is still in charge of choosing who comes in and it was forced on Poch but I don't ever tend to by into those sorts of theories. If a DoF wants a player but a manager doesn't makes no sense for the chairman to side with the DoF when he knows the asset won't get any game time and will depreciate in value.

Tottenham fans say 'please sell us Rabiot'

It does seem strange that we've sold him quite cheaply (considering PSGs wealth) I wonder if this is a precursor to us signing a player of theirs later in the window? Maybe not Rabiot considering the home grown quota they are falling short of (another reason why this deal seems cheap) But maybe there are others we're potentially interested in

Last edited:

I think that he was signed as cover/speculative

Well, I've said enough on Stambouli's signing, and the detestable logic used when pursuing it.

So, goodbye, Stambo. Sorry you got caught up in a battle between the chairman and the manager that wasn't any fault of yours. Thanks for always giving your all in training (as per Lloris, anyway) and not complaining when you were never picked. Good luck at PSG. Adieu.

Back