• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ben Davies

Or that Rose is given different instructions to Davies? If you push forward it's the job of your team mates to cover the space you leave behind, and with Rose last season I don't recall it ever being a recurring problem for us. The fact he kept his place for the majority of the season would suggest it wasn't a problem for the manager either.

With Dier in the side this season we have seen him quick to drop back alongside the CBs, or just in front as we push up - I think think this will suit Rose pushing forward should he get back in to the team

We do not know that though, listen I am not slagging Rose off as I think he has improved since he came into the side. But I stick to what I have said before, Rose is better going forward but Davies ( imo) is a better defender.

We do not know that though, listen I am not slagging Rose off as I think he has improved since he came into the side. But I stick to what I have said before, Rose is better going forward but Davies ( imo) is a better defender.

I think it's an educated guess seeings as he consistently played the same way and was first choice for the majority of the season (it's also similar to how Shaw and their RB were deployed at Southampton under Poch and how Walker is also used on the right here, would suggest that's how Poch likes his FBs to play..,)

Positional sense aside do you think Davies is better at the other aspects of a defenders game than Rose? Personally I don't and I think it's a part of his game which he doesn't enough credit for, I can't think of any games last season where Rose came off second best to his opponent, I think he consistently dominated the left hand side of the pitch, both defensively and offensively and is why many feel he was one of our best players

My point was that Rose does not always take the right time to go and because of that finds himself wrong side, and why I believe Davies is better as a defender then Rose. I have already said that Rose is better going forward.
When is a right time to go? If we have the ball Rose will be expected to push forward down the wing and offer himself as an outlet. If we subsequently lose the ball and Rose is stranded I don't consider that his fault. Davies doesn't go as frequently because he knows he's more limited attacking wise and why he isn't caught as much. I don't believe it has anything to do with Davies knowing when to go better,he doesn't go enough....

I think it's an educated guess seeings as he consistently played the same way and was first choice for the majority of the season (it's also similar to how Shaw was deployed at Southampton)

Positional sense aside do you think Davies is better at the other aspects of a defenders game than Rose? Personally I don't and I think it's a part of his game which he doesn't enough credit for, I can't think of any games last season where Rose came off second best to his opponent

What I will say is that the improvement in Davies from last season seems to be a lot and seeing as he is 3 years younger then Rose I believe he will be our number one lb sooner rather then later. I guess only time will tell.

When is a right time to go? If we have the ball Rose will be expected to push forward down the wing and offer himself as an outlet. If we subsequently lose the ball and Rose is stranded I don't consider that his fault. Davies doesn't go as frequently because he knows he's more limited attacking wise and why he isn't caught as much. I don't believe it has anything to do with Davies knowing when to go better,he doesn't go enough....

Rose should actually be better placed to push forward this season as we now have better cover in our CM so maybe that is what we will see. Or maybe Poch has decided that a better defensive FB is what we need and will go down that route going forward ( who knows). Not sure I believe all this talk about Rose not being fit seeing as Poch has played him a couple of times over the last couple of weeks.

We shall see.

What I will say is that the improvement in Davies from last season seems to be a lot and seeing as he is 3 years younger then Rose I believe he will be our number one lb sooner rather then later. I guess only time will tell.

I like Davies and thought the way he was written off last season was wrong (as it usually is after such a short amount of time). He's done more than enough to warrant his place in the team this season and is a good prospect with time on his side, whether he will be as good as Rose, either defensively or offensively is yet to be seen though and either way we have two good options for LB this season.

I like Davies and thought the way he was written off last season was wrong (as it usually is after such a short amount of time). He's done more than enough to warrant his place in the team this season and is a good prospect with time on his side, whether he will be as good as Rose, either defensively or offensively is yet to be seen though and either way we have two good options for LB this season.

I can and do agree with that.

Rose should actually be better placed to push forward this season as we now have better cover in our CM so maybe that is what we will see. Or maybe Poch has decided that a better defensive FB is what we need and will go down that route going forward ( who knows). Not sure I believe all this talk about Rose not being fit seeing as Poch has played him a couple of times over the last couple of weeks.

We shall see.
Now we have an actual DM I doubt Poch now wants a more defensive full back. But yes we shall see, we can all agree we have two good and different options for that position now..

Sorry, I meant comparatively/relatively concede chances as opposed to conceding chances at all.

I think Davies appears the better defender because he stays back more, rather than him actually being better at the defensive parts of the game, which is actually a strong part of Roses game, imv

That is largely my point, though I don't think Rose can stop himself bombing forward at this stage in his career. It's a strength that I wouldn't dream of taking away but it's not always great for the team

That is largely my point, though I don't think Rose can stop himself bombing forward at this stage in his career. It's a strength that I wouldn't dream of taking away but it's not always great for the team

I think I may have already covered this in my subsequent posts (as has harr1984) but I think it's the teams job to cover him rather than his job to worry about the space he leaves behind, exceptional circumstances aside.

You'd expect your FB to provide width when your team is in possession and looking to attack - it's then down to one of the CMs/CBs to be aware of the potential counter attack in to the space left by the FB. This season with the more dedicated DM being used we're seeing much better cover in this regard, granted Davies isn't getting forward much but you can see it on the right with Walker and I am sure we'd see the same on the left whenever Rose gets back in the team

I don't think it's just rose though, walker, mason, Bentaleb and several other of our promoted youth players over the years have been guilty of it. I've often wondered if it's a cultural thing at the club. Poch seems to curbing it and instilling discipline.

Ben Davies says Tottenham move made a man of him ahead of return to face boyhood club Swansea

The 22-year-old is establishing himself as a regular in the Spurs team ahead of left-back rival Danny Rose — and is even doing his own IRONING

Moving to Tottenham has helped Ben Davies iron out some kinks in his game and creases in his clothes.

The 22-year-old says he is going back to face his old club Swansea on Sunday a different man after almost 15 months in London.

On the pitch, Davies has improved and leapt ahead of Danny Rose in the left-back pecking order after playing second fiddle last season. And off it, moving away from home for the first time has helped Davies develop his domestic talents – and he now knows how to iron his clothes.

He said: “Yes it’s a different Ben Davies going back. It was a big move for me and a big change in my life.

“I’d never lived away from home so it was a lot to deal with. It was always going to take time for me to settle but I have matured so much in the last year.

“I have toughened up and I'm much more settled now. I was all right cooking before but ironing was the one I struggled on.

“I’d never ironed my own clothes before – it had always been done for me. So when I came to Tottenham I had to learn how to do that. And I tell you, I’m not bad now.

“I am really settled up here in London now. I live with my girlfriend, my family come up and visit and my sister is in uni in London as well, so it’s good.”

Davies’ dad Alun is a Swansea season ticket holder so he will be somewhere in the crowd on Sunday with an interest in both sides.

Davies said: “I don’t think he’s so passionate that he would shout abuse at his own son during a game. Family loyalty comes first — at least I hope it does!”

And Davies revealed how his mum Eryl was moved to tears by the reception he received when he went back to Swansea as a Spurs player for the first time last season.

He said: “The reaction was phenomenal. They never said a bad word against me, which was a really nice feeling, not only for me but my family as well.

“You never know how these things will go, especially when we won. But it was so nice to see and hear their respect. It was a very emotional moment.

“My mum had tears in her eyes when they applauded me. They could easily have gone the other way. But that shows the class of the Swansea fans. I will always be grateful to them and the club for the support they have given me.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/ben-davies-says-tottenham-move-6568872

I think between Davies and Rose, Vertonghen and Alderwield will decide whom they perfer to play alongside. Oh. And I think he will be Davies.

Another solid game from Davies today I thought. Got involved quite a lot going forward too and could quite easily have picked up an assist.

I think he looks even better with the slightly quicker and more mobile Son ahead of him, but he links up quite well with Chadli and Eriksen too.

Tough competition between him and Rose. Only good for the team.

Back