• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ben Davies

Excuse me? If that is incorrect, I will gladly put my hand up. But has he not had one brain fart after another? I have no intention of doing a post mortem, but my impression is that a lot of the goals we conceded in games in which he started were the result of some error from him. He was taken to the cleaners by Championship wingers nobody has heard of. If I was his only critic, I could see that maybe I was being unfair but other than you four, every other posters have said practically the same; indeed some have barracked him in a way that make my comments seem almost complementary.

And is there an age below which we are not allowed to criticise successive poor performances?

Go ahead mate, Stop! Hammer time and I disagree with yours. Never understood how a player who has just turned 22 can be written off by SOME fans so quickly.

Go ahead mate, Stop! Hammer time and I disagree with yours. Never understood how a player who has just turned 22 can be written off by SOME fans so quickly.
I think Davies will have a decent career, but unfortunately I don't see that decent career as being it at our club unless our current manager doesn't last very long or has a big u-turn on the rigidity of his tactics.

I think Davies will have a decent career, but unfortunately I don't see that decent career as being it at our club unless our current manager doesn't last very long or has a big u-turn on the rigidity of his tactics.

Agree... to my mind, when I see Davies, I see Naughton in his first couple of seasons. You could see that he would not make the grade with us. He was solid but average; made too many mistakes and did not do anything that made you sit up and say: "this kid has something in him". Yet Kyle is enjoying PL football with Swansea...

At the end of a player's first 20 or so games, I usually get a good feel if he is rough diamond that can be polished or else someone who will not likely step up to the next level. I have nothing against the lad and certainly do not hate him, but - much as I was enthusiastic about his signing - feel he is squarely in the second category.

You may be right about that, but I still think he is a decent player who will improve with age.

Considering how long it's took players like Pritchard to come thought from within the club and how much slack players like Lamella have been given (and he has given away goals this season too) surely Davies deserves some slack too. Kane is roughly the same age and is now the messiah after so many were gonna write him off too...

I saw enough of him at Swansea to see that he is a very good left back. Maybe he has made the move too early and maybe he won't fit in but he would be given more time and a chance.

Period ally im chuffed to bits to see that Rose has stepped up as I've been bigging him up for a long while (due to what I saw at Sunderland) but I'm not gonna right of Davies after a sporadic run of games

Just thought I would bump this as Davies had his best game for us yesterday and is turning into a very good player.

Agreed. I think that Davies deserves to keep his place based on that performance but it is tough on Rose who was probably our stand out player on Wednesday. What a great problem to have.

Agreed. I think that Davies deserves to keep his place based on that performance but it is tough on Rose who was probably our stand out player on Wednesday. What a great problem to have.

I agree and its a good to see.

We need both. It's one position where we have effective cover. Midfield suddenly also looks quite well stocked with 4 young players who are chomping at the bit to establish themselves. However, with the rest of the team, we're still figuring who's effective cover: you'd argue Chadli is just that. But Townsend? And is Wimmer or Fazio next in line at CB? Where does NJ play? Who covers Kane? Etc. But after 2 or 3 years of instability it is great to have a team starting to settle. Davies and Rose are the most settled of the lot!

Last edited:
Another very solid game from Davies I thought. De Bruyne perhaps isn't at his best on the right, but he's still a quality player and Davies kept him quiet. Then the very quick Navas came on with fresh legs and Davies kept him quiet too.

Really starting to show why we signed him I think, after a disappointing first season. Still think Rose looks better overall at the moment, but it's looking a lot closer than it did at times last season.

Yep, just getting stronger and stronger. Exciting. Young too. Shame for rose, let's see what happens as the season progresses I guess.

We need both. It's one position where we have effective cover. Midfield suddenly also looks quite well stocked with 4 young players who are chomping at the bit to establish themselves. However, with the rest of the team, we're still figuring who's effective cover: you'd argue Chadli is just that. But Townsend? And is Wimmer or Fazio next in line at CB? Where does NJ play? Who covers Kane? Etc. But after 2 or 3 years of instability it is great to have a team starting to settle. Davies and Rose are the most settled of the lot!
Wimmer is comfortably ahead of Fazio imo. For the front 3 mid we basically have 8-9 players capable of filling those 3 positions. Lamela, Eriksen, Chadli, Son, Njie, Pritchard, Dembele and Kane. You can even throw Mason in there. I'm not even mentioning Townsend, as he's been so bad he shouldn't even get near the starting line-up. All of Njie, Chadli, Son and Kane can play up front. Think we are pretty well stacked.
What's great is that we have so many players that are comfortable in many positions.

I think that is called healthy competition

I like all 8 of our main defenders now (if we're still including Dier). Really good options across the line.

Nope, on this season I think he is in the process of moving on from CB just as Bale has moved on from left back, and no I am not implying that Dier is world class

Another very solid game from Davies I thought. De Bruyne perhaps isn't at his best on the right, but he's still a quality player and Davies kept him quiet. Then the very quick Navas came on with fresh legs and Davies kept him quiet too.

Really starting to show why we signed him I think, after a disappointing first season. Still think Rose looks better overall at the moment, but it's looking a lot closer than it did at times last season.

Must say I agree. Cannot possibly fault anything in Davies' game on Saturday but somehow I would prefer Rose to be starting...

Who wants to provide the reason why Davies is being selected ahead of Rose? Rose put in an excellent performance against Everton & then he was taken out of the team.

Davies did play well against Emirates Marketing Project, and is generally playing well, but the question remains. Why Davies over Rose?

I don't think we can look at it as rewarding Davies or punishing Rose imo.

We've just got two very capable LBs at the club and they will be rotated.

Back