• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ben Davies

Rose's injury flared up after everton and he was brought back in the europa where I don't think he managed to make the squad for the palace games a few days later. After arsenal he said he only felt 70% fit and struggled in the last 20.... If poch had then started him that would have been lunacy, even tho he was probably our best player.

We have just beaten city and davies had a good game so he won't start the next league game but I predict that by the end of oct he will be back in starting as first choice as he brings more to the table than davies. Tbf to poch, bar some games around dec last year, he has pretty much started rose in every game when he has been 100% fit and I don't see that changing.

After being pretty underwhelming for so long, it's nice to see davies step up with some positive performances and hopefully this will mean rose is fit focused and hungry when he gets back in meaning we will be able to add to our side

Who wants to provide the reason why Davies is being selected ahead of Rose? Rose put in an excellent performance against Everton & then he was taken out of the team.

Davies did play well against Emirates Marketing Project, and is generally playing well, but the question remains. Why Davies over Rose?

Rose lost his place in pre season around the time he forgot his passport. Maybe he had a slight knock as well, but it seemed a little strange.

Davies has played well enough that he doesn't deserve being dropped and Rose has been a bit up and down.

Rose lost his place in pre season around the time he forgot his passport. Maybe he had a slight knock as well, but it seemed a little strange.

Davies has played well enough that he doesn't deserve being dropped and Rose has been a bit up and down.
But as El Guepardo says, Rose was impressive right up to the game he was replaced. So how come he deserved to be dropped? It was only after he'd been displaced that his form inexplicably nose-dived - in the Euro game against Qarabag.

Puzzling to say the least.

But as El Guepardo says, Rose was impressive right up to the game he was replaced. So how come he deserved to be dropped? It was only after he'd been displaced that his form inexplicably nose-dived - in the Euro game against Qarabag.

Puzzling to say the least.

He was replaced because of an Injury and the guy that has come in has t done anything wrong and has been part of our best defensive streak in a very long time

I'm a massive fan of Rose but you can't just change a side without merit and Davies is there on merit at the moment

It's nice to have that competition

He was replaced because of an Injury and the guy that has come in has t done anything wrong and has been part of our best defensive streak in a very long time

I'm a massive fan of Rose but you can't just change a side without merit and Davies is there on merit at the moment

It's nice to have that competition

Completely. The squad harmony is predicated on the fact that Poch picks the in form players for the position. It would be unfair of him to drop Davies given that he has played very well. My personal opinion is that Rose offers more, but I am happy to keep Davies so long as he keeps performing.

I feel that Rose offers more to our offensive play but I think Davies is a better fit for our defence.

Rose's defensive play has improved tremendously but I can't imagine a consistently solid Spurs defence with him in it. That's not a slight on him, but on the tactics that he makes a necessity. I really am torn.

Rose does offer more offensively, but with the added pace we now have up front, maybe it's not so critical to play him. Maybe that, together with injuries, what Poch sees on the training pitch, and Davies good performances are the reasons he's starting ahead of Rose.

Rose does offer more offensively, but with the added pace we now have up front, maybe it's not so critical to play him. Maybe that, together with injuries, what Poch sees on the training pitch, and Davies good performances are the reasons he's starting ahead of Rose.

I think Rose is as good a 'defender' as Davies and rarely do we concede chances from our left when he is playing - For me it's a simple case of Davies performing well when given his chance in the team whilst Rose was injured/unfit.

Rose for me was the best left back in the league last season

Against Arsenal midweek he was our best player too

However it has to be about the team and the balance, plus of course squad "harmony"

I think Poch is managing it incredibly well and I've heard n comment from nay players of a negative nature - which is easy when you doing ok

Davies has not let us down this season and he is a solid if unspectacular player. I love boring defenders as ultimately there the ones who defend first foremost and spend less time worrying about other aspects of their game.

For what its worth, Rose could easily come in now and play left wing/wide forward and hold his own. I also think he could play centre mid but I'm sure people think I'm mad there.

I think Rose is as good a 'defender' as Davies and rarely do we concede chances from our left when he is playing - For me it's a simple case of Davies performing well when given his chance in the team whilst Rose was injured/unfit.

I'm a big fan of Rose but it's quite a stretch to say we rarely concede chances from our left.

Saying that he's as good a defender as Davies depends on what you consider a good defender. Imo rose is just as good, if not better, at tackling and he's better able to confront players with pace. But I think Davies works better with the other defenders in the line, simply by being more disciplined.

Rose's pace, stamina and drive make him more suited to bossing the flank by himself but I think it's a bad sign if he's having to do that. I'm struggling to explain what I mean but, in short, I feel that davies is better for our defensive shape, which is what lets us down against teams with good attacks.

It's like comparing terry to Ferdinand, perhaps?

I feel that Rose offers more to our offensive play but I think Davies is a better fit for our defence.

Rose's defensive play has improved tremendously but I can't imagine a consistently solid Spurs defence with him in it. That's not a slight on him, but on the tactics that he makes a necessity. I really am torn.

My thoughts as well, he is also 3 years younger and further ahead then Rose was at the same age. I really believe he is going to be a top player in time.

I'm a big fan of Rose but it's quite a stretch to say we rarely concede chances from our left.

Saying that he's as good a defender as Davies depends on what you consider a good defender. Imo rose is just as good, if not better, at tackling and he's better able to confront players with pace. But I think Davies works better with the other defenders in the line, simply by being more disciplined.

Rose's pace, stamina and drive make him more suited to bossing the flank by himself but I think it's a bad sign if he's having to do that. I'm struggling to explain what I mean but, in short, I feel that davies is better for our defensive shape, which is what lets us down against teams with good attacks.

I think I know what you mean, I always feel the players that have come through our ranks are to gung-ho charging forward trying to live up to the Spurs glory and swagger ethos. Davies goes forward but only when there is protection behind him or as part of a team move, sometimes rose gets the ball, charges forward, looks up he's isolated, losses the ball and there's a big gap where he should be.
They lacked discipline, poch has turned that around.

I thought the issue with Rose was that he's still regaining full fitness.
This, I don't see the issue. In Pochs system its key you're at your fittest, and Rose hasn't been. It's handy Davies has performed better than for the majority of his Spurs stint, but I don't see him maintaining his place when Rose is fully fit and firing on all cylinders....

Sorry, I meant comparatively/relatively concede chances as opposed to conceding chances at all.

I think Davies appears the better defender because he stays back more, rather than him actually being better at the defensive parts of the game, which is actually a strong part of Roses game, imv

Sorry, I meant comparatively/relatively concede chances as opposed to conceding chances at all.

I think Davies appears the better defender because he stays back more, rather than him actually being better at the defensive parts of the game, which is actually a strong part of Roses game, imv

Well it depends which way you look at it maybe Daves only go's forward when the time is right, Rose often bombs forward and leaves gaps at the back because he has not gone at the right time. That suggests to me that Davies has a better understanding of what a FB needs to do ( hence he is a better defender).

Well it depends which way you look at it maybe Daves only go's forward when the time is right, Rose often bombs forward and leaves gaps at the back because he has not gone at the right time. That suggests to me that Davies has a better understanding of what a FB needs to do ( hence he is a better defender).
I'd suggest Roses' ability to get rapidly up and down the pitch is one of several factors why he is Poch's first choice. Having inverted forwards means the full back has to effectively play as a winger for the system to be effective and Davies all too often hasn't....

Or that Rose is given different instructions to Davies? If you push forward it's the job of your team mates to cover the space you leave behind, and with Rose last season I don't recall it ever being a recurring problem for us. The fact he kept his place for the majority of the season would suggest it wasn't a problem for the manager either.

With Dier in the side this season we have seen him quick to drop back alongside the CBs, or just in front as we push up - I think think this will suit Rose pushing forward, should he get back in to the team, and should alleviate any fears of leaving space behind

I'd suggest Roses' ability to get rapidly up and down the pitch is one of several factors why he is Poch's first choice. Having inverted forwards means the full back has to effectively play as a winger for the system to be effective and Davies all too often hasn't....

My point was that Rose does not always take the right time to go and because of that finds himself wrong side, and why I believe Davies is better as a defender then Rose. I have already said that Rose is better going forward.

Back