• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ben Davies

There is no doubt he is a better player now.

But I don't think he can play at this level for a whole season, that is still a slight concern. We need a Gvardiol or similar. But today, and in other games where we can soak up pressure and counter, he's immense. The reason he's better than Lenglet is his intelligence. He's aware, smart, and canny. Physically he's not an imposing CB, but that does give him more agility sometimes. He is quick to move and snuffel out threats. Just really pleased he has kicked on. One of our longest serving playersin the side now?

Gvardiol or similar would obviously make us better. But Davies really is a very good LCB in this system. Not just for soaking up pressure and defending. Really useful on the ball, good attacking runs when given the freedom to do so.

The reason we're after top level LCB options like Gvardiol and Bastoni is that targeting players a level below that wouldn't be an upgrade on Davies. All imo, may be getting slightly carried away, but I'll stand by it.

Amazing that this thread had 1 post in 5 months before today. Just sums Davies up - always a 6 or 7 out of 10, rarely noteworthy for being poor nor outstanding. No bad thing in a team that so often has defensive mistakes from all of his colleagues, in my opinion!

Amazing that this thread had 1 post in 5 months before today. Just sums Davies up - always a 6 or 7 out of 10, rarely noteworthy for being poor nor outstanding. No bad thing in a team that so often has defensive mistakes from all of his colleagues, in my opinion!

Tbf, he's often making mistakes himself...like the poor pass that eventually led to Romero's red card vs City on Sunday...

Tbf, he's often making mistakes himself...like the poor pass that eventually led to Romero's red card vs City on Sunday...

I think often is a bit harsh. Several other players made possession losing errors in this game and others. Including Perisic, Romero and iirc Dier. We play with risk at the back as we should. We will sometimes lose possession. I don't think his error rate in this regard is particularly high.

He wasn’t reliable last week
He was awful
Today he was solid and did everything needed

It was a top down failure last week, that happens here.

Most of his career he’s 6/7 out of 10 player.

You get eleven players who do that every week and you’ll never lose.

Back