• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ben Davies

I think there was clearly tension there. At the beginning there wasn't a power struggle, and things worked well. As Poch became a great manager for us, he commanded more control of transfers. But he never had complete control, he never had absolute power. It worked better at the beginning imo.

It obviously worked better at the beginning, up until the summer of Sissoko & Nkoudou instead of Wijnaldum & Mane our transfer activity was pretty good - we then reigned in our spending due to the stadium build and the rest is history.

It obviously worked better at the beginning, up until the summer of Sissoko & Nkoudou instead of Wijnaldum & Mane our transfer activity was pretty good - we then reigned in our spending due to the stadium build and the rest is history.

If we're looking for answers as to why we're in a mess right now (and that is relative right, our expectations are higher mainly because of Poch), I think the biggest issue is probably Levy's lack of patience. You can see why he sacked Poch and rolled the dice on Mourinho. But in doing so we lost our foundation and have been in transition ever since. Poch suited Levy, as he could take players with potential and develop them. Poch also elevated average players - Rickie Lambert, Lallana, etc. He turned decent players into top-level players, at least for a time. But he wasn't perfect. Who is? His signings were not amazing. Better left to someone else possibly.

So the biggest reason we're in flux is Levy trying to roll the dice, and gamble that we could hit the top with Mourinho. I think Levy was under pressure with Kane and thought we could have a go at the title or at least CL with Mourinho. And we were top of the league in December. The same fragility Mourinho had then exists under Conte. He's holding together a side that isn't cohesive. Poch/Lecy/the club didn't manage to address the midfield, and now the midfield and defense lack cornerstone players. Maybe Bentacur and Skipp can anchor our midfield; Dier and Romero our defense. 4 relatively young players who need games, and bit of patience/belief.

Conte needs to build the side for next season now. Take away some pressure and focus just on good performances, team shape and team familiarity. He's working with decent players but none have pomp and arrogance. In other words, apart from Kane. Son and Hugo these are not elite players who come ready-made. Conte has to build them up.

His signings were terrible and we are now struggling to get rid of them.
Said it numerous times, great coach, terrible at signing players.
He was good at creating a preforming team. Coaching individual players has proven spotty at best. Dele and Winks... They should have kicked on to be good players. No clear succession plans for the first team for youths too.

That's what Poch says, but you seem to think you know otherwise, based solely on his change of title it seems?
I think the point is no one here knows what really goes on behind the scenes and I don’t believe Poch had no say in transfers - any manager worth their salt would not put up with players they didn’t want at all for a period of time. During Pochs tenure those who thought he was the messiah spent a lot of time on here saying that whatever Poch was quoted as saying (as he came out with a lot of nonsense at times), he didn’t really mean and actually meant something else and was just being clever - but when it is convenient we have to take what he says at face value? Hmmm….

I think the point is no one here knows what really goes on behind the scenes and I don’t believe Poch had no say in transfers - any manager worth their salt would not put up with players they didn’t want at all for a period of time. During Pochs tenure those who thought he was the messiah spent a lot of time on here saying that whatever Poch was quoted as saying (as he came out with a lot of nonsense at times), he didn’t really mean and actually meant something else and was just being clever - but when it is convenient we have to take what he says at face value? Hmmm….

I think its time we stopped looking at the managers, thats four, five if you include mason, that have all come up short.
All with the same issues, keep saying it, but by process of elimination we are running out of candidates.

I think it's well established that transfers at Spurs over this period and beyond were/are committee led - being one voice in that committee and having a say doesn't then mean you get final say and given the quotes it's clear that Pochettino felt his voice wasn't being listened to as much as he felt it should have been. Not sure what the relevance is of the discussions had on an anonymous football forum at the time tbqh

Bump...

Great pass to Kane in the buildup for the opener. Great switch of play to Kulusevski for the goal that was disallowed. Good involvement in the buildup to the winner.

Solid defensively, dealing with pressure from one of the best attacking teams around for most of the game.

I maintain that he's underrated by many. Perhaps our weakest first choice CB, but as much about the quality of the others as about him.

We need another option, upgrade if we can of course, but he's a very good player in this role.

Bump...

Great pass to Kane in the buildup for the opener. Great switch of play to Kulusevski for the goal that was disallowed. Good involvement in the buildup to the winner.

Solid defensively, dealing with pressure from one of the best attacking teams around for most of the game.

I maintain that he's underrated by many. Perhaps our weakest first choice CB, but as much about the quality of the others as about him.

We need another option, upgrade if we can of course, but he's a very good player in this role.

Would agree with all of that, as most on here will know i have always thought Davies was a better player then some think he is. He is not flash but he is a steady player who does not stand out but generally always does a good job.

Would agree with all of that, as most on here will know i have always thought Davies was a better player then some think he is. He is not flash but he is a steady player who does not stand out but generally always does a good job.
Weak left back
Very solid LCB
Thought he had a great game yesterday
He had a proper angry face for all the game too

Weak left back
Very solid LCB
Thought he had a great game yesterday
He had a proper angry face for all the game too

I know we have had this conversation before over Davies but i have always thought he is underated as a player by many. His main problem (imo) is he is not as dynamic/flash as players like Rose or Reggy but is a steady eddy ( for want of a better description) and it takes players like that to give teams balance.

He does/has come in for unfair criticism(imo) but most good teams need players like him.

I know we have had this conversation before over Davies but i have always thought he is underated as a player by many. His main problem (imo) is he is not as dynamic/flash as players like Rose or Reggy but is a steady eddy ( for want of a better description) and it takes players like that to give teams balance.

He does/has come in for unfair criticism(imo) but most good teams need players like him.
His main problem is left back his passing is really bad
Centre back he has two places to pass
He was heavily in the build up on two great attacns yesterday passing inwards
He wouldn’t do that left back he would kick it out of play

His main problem is left back his passing is really bad
Centre back he has two places to pass
He was heavily in the build up on two great attacns yesterday passing inwards
He wouldn’t do that left back he would kick it out of play

As i say we have had this conversastion before, i rate him higher then you do but at the end of the day Stop! Hammer time. :)

I like him and want to keep him. We will need another lcb in the summer. I'd hope we try to get someone better in. As that would improve the first 11 rather than the squad.

Tbf though think we might need more than 1 cb coming in. Rodon isn't fancied. Tanganga and sanchez have a lot of errors in them.

I like him and want to keep him. We will need another lcb in the summer. I'd hope we try to get someone better in. As that would improve the first 11 rather than the squad.

Tbf though think we might need more than 1 cb coming in. Rodon isn't fancied. Tanganga and sanchez have a lot of errors in them.

Sanchez needs to move for his own future and as for Tanganga we need to get him a loan to see if he can progress. Rodon is a strange one for sure but if the story about him having cracked ribs is true then maybe that is why he has not featured for a while.

Out of the Wales squad and back at Spurs. Anyone heard whether he's injured? Covid? Another reason?

Guess Sanchez will come in v Saudi Sportswashing Machine if Davies is out, though not really like for like

Out of the Wales squad and back at Spurs. Anyone heard whether he's injured? Covid? Another reason?

Guess Sanchez will come in v Saudi Sportswashing Machine if Davies is out, though not really like for like
I’d bring in rodon and play him there or move dier over and play rodon central

Back