• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Battlefield 3 Thread

First, many saw CQ as EA DICE's attempt at wooing over some of the run and gun crowd. While there are a few narrow corridors, there are always many points of entry to allow for flanking. There will be times of frustration as you learn the new maps and get flanked quite a bit yourself, meeting your end with another blast of shotgun pellets in your back.
The maps tend to be 3-4 floors featuring many overlooking vantage points for controlling key locations and choke points. There are some small vestibules with multiple smaller offshoots, multiple stairwells and a few open spaces. Did I mention the flanking?
Squad play is just as important as before, but don't get expect your teammates to be watching your back as they sprint blindly from one hallway to the next. As I started learning the layout of the new maps, I was able to prevent myself from getting flanked so often, but I will stress again: do NOT assume your teammates are watching your back, even if you're watching theirs. Additionally, enemy spawns can be very near your current position depending on the game type so you never quite know what's around the corner.

CQ TIPS
If spawning on a squad-mate, make sure they're not in the middle of combat. If you do spawn on them, try not to move since you have 2-second immunity to damage. You can look around, but as soon as you move/fire, you're a live target.

The urge to sprint will always be there, especially as I'm conditioned to holding down my shift key to traverse the larger maps. However, auditory cues are arguably more important in CQ and I can't tell you how many times I've whipped around 180 degrees after hearing an enemy solider hurtling towards me. Try to be a sneaky bastard. Check your radar to see if any known threats are about. Because the maps are much more vertical, it's a bit difficult to gauge whether enemies will be on the level above or below you so definitely don't sprint up and down stairwells. Sprint wisely.

Shotguns. I had a pretty amazing game with them, but I would argue that they're not the end-all-be-all of CQ. In a point-blank firefight, the shotgun will almost always win, but I also put a lot of faith in my F2000 and the ever-trusty M416. Hell, even the new M417 sniper rifle (fires similarly to the M14 or G3) with holographic or 4x ACOG sights is a viable option. The new unlockable support weapon is also another great way of dispatching baddies, which has a capacity of 45+1 rounds, but offers a quicker reload than most other support weapons. I do, however, come into situations where I expend all the bullets in my magazine and still have enemies left to kill, so sidearms have played a fairly large role for me as well.

Despite the fact that I basically stated that your teammates are basically sprinting meat-shields, you will still want to try to stick close to them. At the very least, they will provide a warning that an enemy is around the next corner by falling into a neat heap in front of you. This is also part of the reason why I tend to get such a crazy Assault score (defibrillators ftw).

Weapon attachments like the laser sight and flashlight can be very useful. T will toggle them on and off, so while in a larger and more open area of a map, you can leave the flashlight off, but when trying to clear out a stairwell, highbeams on!

Learning the new maps will take some time because they can actually be quite large and almost labyrinthine at times, so the only advice I can give here is to look behind you every so often and try not to rush into crossfire. Once you do learn the maps, you will know where good flanking routes are in order to avoid direct firefights.

As always, spot enemies, not just for your teammates' sake, but for your own. The red marker will allow you to keep tabs on the enemy so you can tee up your shot.

That's all I've got for now, please feel free to add your own suggestions and tips.

Armored Kill just came out for premium subscribers on PC yesterday. Can't tell you how many times I've had kamikaze-quads laden with C4 smash into my armored vehicle and explode, or the countless times I've been killed by the gunship raining bombs and explosive rounds on me.
With that said, the new maps are a sight to behold. One of the maps (Armored Shield) featured reminded me a bit of the Normandy/Caen BF 1942 map with rolling green hills, but with the windmills replaced by wind turbines to provide a reminder that war has evolved.

In the rare opportunities that I get a seat in the gunship (its flight isn't controllable, but its two main armaments are), the gunship doesn't last long enough for me to do enough damage on the ground, usually because the other newb in the plane refuses to stop shooting at people on the ground to man the AA ball-turrets when a jet is on our tail. When I'm on the opposite end of that gunship, I generally can't stay alive long enough to even get a lock-on. There's definitely some balance issues, but I think most of them stem from the fact that despite this game being out for almost a year now, there's still tons of bricky players.
In the armored vehicle-centric Tank Superiority mode, many teammates did not stop and wait so I could board their vehicles. The new anti-tank vehicle has a capacity of 5, but I couldn't tell you how many "Mouthbreather (1/5)" tags I've seen.
But before I let this turn into a rant against those with the attention span of a fruit fly, I will end with saying that the maps are loads of fun. The new vehicles are fun overall, but the mobile artillery takes some practice to get the range of fire down pat.

Played all 4 maps today and I love all of them... Especially the night time one! But I know what you mean bout people jumpin in vehicles and not waiting. Was tinkling me off today as these maps are so vehicle heavy that being on foot is just suicide.
But all in all this is the best map pack yet

Played all 4 maps today and I love all of them... Especially the night time one! But I know what you mean bout people jumpin in vehicles and not waiting. Was tinkling me off today as these maps are so vehicle heavy that being on foot is just suicide.
But all in all this is the best map pack yet

thoughts on gunship in Rush?

Just dug this old thread up from the grave to post a video trailer of the next map pack "Aftermath".

[video=youtube;PcO5ajxGenc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcO5ajxGenc[/video]

And yes, that is a crossbow at the end!!

Crossbows are so hot right now.

I've still been playing the odd game, but many times stick to the vanilla maps. Maybe I'm just too used to where I can find the action instead of running around a giant map without having a good feel for the flow of combat. These maps look more in that vein so I'll be looking forward to it.

Crossbows are so hot right now.

I've still been playing the odd game, but many times stick to the vanilla maps. Maybe I'm just too used to where I can find the action instead of running around a giant map without having a good feel for the flow of combat. These maps look more in that vein so I'll be looking forward to it.

Yeah Im with ya mate, try to play new maps but find myself running round for ages looking for the main battle then getting slotted by a sniper... Not played it for a while tho but these new maps look to be taking it in a bit of a fresh new direction. New caracter skins, weapons, vehicles, etc all standard but noticed a new Game mode. The trailer suggests it could be some sort of man hunt mode... 4 v 4 skulking the ruined city tracking each other down. Could be interesting.... Then again i could be way off??

That explosive bolt looks useful. I think it would be great if you could switch between bolts on the fly to give more versatility to what I think is a glamour weapon, but that would probably be a bit OP.

That explosive bolt looks useful. I think it would be great if you could switch between bolts on the fly to give more versatility to what I think is a glamour weapon, but that would probably be a bit OP.

Can see a Crossbow patch out within weeks of release, nerfin the explosive one. But overall it looks like a decent weapon

The final DLC is on it's way in March. Must admit although I been mainly playing the old maps this one looks superb!! 2 new game modes; Capture Flag and Air Superiority. The motorbike chasing looks like alot of fun

[video=youtube;M5n2uO0JArU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5n2uO0JArU[/video]

Stopped playing BF3 and went back to COD after BLOPS2 was released. Sorry peeps, but for me COD is just a much more enjoyable game and does multi so much better. Especially since it tweaked the killstreaks to make them scorestreaks

Back