• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Battlefield 3 Thread

Alright, I'll give each vehicle its own post. Since I love flying jets, and because of their high learning curve, I will start off with them.

JETS
Sometimes the hardest part of flying a jet is getting into one in the first place. If someone on your team is dominating the skies, you likely won't see the inside of the c0ckpit for the match.

Controls
I used to use my Xbox 360 controller to fly the jets, but I've since given up on that because it was kind of a hassle (it would vibrate while I was infantry, but it certainly felt good resting in my lap).
Anyway, you can fly a jet perfectly fine with just your mouse and keyboard.

W & S control your throttle, A & D control your rudder. Moving the mouse down (towards you) causes your nose to point up, and moving the mouse up (away from you) pushes the nose to point down. Moving the mouse left will make your jet roll to the left, and vice-versa for the right.
Left-mouse button fires your guns/missiles/rockets while right-mouse button lets you look around the c0ckpit.
Shift gives you a boost in speed (like sprinting) and X deploys your flares if you have them equipped.
1 & 2 will switch between primary and secondary weapons, and E will eject you from the plane.

To take off, all you need to do is hold down SHIFT+W, and when you've gained enough speed, pull your nose up (by pulling your mouse down towards you).

Turning is one of the most important skills when flying a jet. When you get into a one-on-one dogfight with someone, how tightly you can maneuver your jet will determine whether you get on the enemy's six.

To perform a simple turn, you must roll your jet in the direction you want to run roughly 90 degrees. If you want to spiral upwards a bit, then roll less than 90 degrees (chandelle).
After rolling your jet, you must then pull your mouse back towards you. While I am turning, I hold down S to make a tighter turn, and when I start to lose some speed, I hold down W when I want to complete the turn. This requires a fair bit of experimentation.

There are plenty of other maneuvers that you can pull off in a jet. A commonly used maneuver is to slalom while turning to throw off a bogey on your six. This is performed the same way as a standard turn, but at some point in the turn, you roll your plane 180 degrees and start turning in the other direction.

Situational Awareness
Once you take off from your airstrip, the first thing you should be aware of is if there's any other jets in the air or other AA looking to take you down. This is why it's generally a good idea to know the state of the battlefield before you take off. Look around (hold down right-mouse button) and see if there are any other aerial threats in the sky. If there are, you need to act quickly to ensure that they end up in your sights and not the other way around.
SOFLAM is hard to spot when you're thousands of feet up in the air, but you will know there is one when you hear a constant, continuous alarm (_______________ vs. _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _). Once you hear the beeping alarm (the latter), that means a missile has been fired and is locked onto you.

Positioning & Missile Evasion
This seems to be one of the most common complaints of new pilots: "I can't fly a plane well until I get flares, and I can't get flares until I can fly a plane well."
That's a perfectly valid argument, except for the fact that there are other ways to evade missiles besides flares.
One way is to ensure the enemy is never able to lock onto you. This will depend on how hell-bent the opposition is in taking you down, but if it's standard newb-fare, there won't be any SOFLAMs and probably no AA vehicles aiming for you, so it's just enemy jets to worry about. If the enemy has line of sight on you, and are within range, they will be able to get a lock. A great way to avoid getting locked is by being out of sight, and the best way to stay out of sight is to fly low. This might make some of you shudder, but it's not actually that difficult. Unfortunately, there's no easy way to practice flying in a jet, but you should get comfortable with just flying around if you can find an empty, 1-player-to-start server. Large poles and buildings will also break the enemy's LoS. If a missile is on your tail, turning around buildings and light posts might cause the missile to collide with one of these objects, but I will admit this can be fairly tough in a cluttered battlefield.
If you've got a jet on your tail, your best bet is to try to out-turn him and not allow too much distance between yourselves. Essentially, you want the enemy jet to pass you so you can then be on his six. The one thing you don't want is having the enemy directly behind you as you fly straight. That will make you an easy target for everyone.

When strafing tanks, make sure that you have a clear entry and exit path. Again, lightpoles are pesky and hard to see from afar, so if the tank is on the road, fly collinear (parallel) with the road. This will ensure that when you make your strafing run, you won't be impeded by obstacles or other hazards of the battlefield. For a good pilot, one run is all they will need to decimate a tank.

Weapons & Gadgets
I was so excited when I first unlocked air-to-air missiles. At that point, I was convinced that I would make it rain with the debris and cinders from all the jets I would down. Turns out, most other jets are equipped with flares or jammers that prolong the period of time it takes to acquire a lock-on. My main weapon of choice is the nose-cannon. It's incredibly powerful and fires rapidly. As with any other turret-gatling weapons, fire in bursts to prevent over-heating.
When I've gotten behind an enemy jet, the first thing I will normally do is fire an air-to-air missile at them just to see whether they will counter it. If they're very close, they probably won't have time to react and deploy a flare. However, if the enemy jet didn't know you were behind them that whole time, they will get skittish and start performing defensive maneuvers meaning you will have a tougher time downing them with your cannons. All you really need is one good burst of bullets to disable a jet, and a simple follow-up burst should make him go boom. Like I said earlier, the hardest part of downing a jet is not actually how to shoot them, but simply getting in an ideal position behind them to inflict the damage quickly. If you're up against a good pilot who knows how to maneuver, you'll be giving your arm some exercise as you flail your mouse around like a drunken ninja. Keep your composure and try to anticipate where the enemy will be. Ideally, you want to set yourself up for ONE good, clean shot instead of messily spraying your hot lead everywhere :oops:
If the jet is turning in front of you but you think you've got a decent shot, remember to lead the target a bit. You have a reticule just for your cannon, so try to keep that over the enemy jet's intended path.

Flares are vital, of course. They do take a while to recharge, so if you know you've got some time to beat the missile, try to outmaneuver/evade it first before deploying a flare. Also, wait to deploy flares until after the enemy has fired a missile at you, not while they are acquiring a lock.

-------------------------------------------
That's it for the jet guide. I also just found this other guide after I wrote this one which has a lot more detail on flying jets: http://www.primagames.com/blog/battlefield-3-how-fly.
I hope this information comes useful to you, and as always, any suggestions/comments/critiques are appreciated.

This video is what I'd show anyone who doubts Battlefield 3 or maybe not yet tried it but a little skeptical.... AWESOME VID:

[video=youtube;0_jjnpLSwdc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_jjnpLSwdc[/video]

Is anyone still playing BF3? Just you and me, edgey?

Anyway, there's a really long list of changes in the upcoming (no ETA yet) patch. Needless to say, there's A LOT of balance changes and fixes. Some of the bits of the fighter jet guide will have to be re-evaluated considering some of the upcoming changes. One of those changes is that flares are now effective against laser-guided missiles.
If I had to guess, I think keeping an aerial vehicle airborne will be a more frantic experience, especially as those odd collisions not causing a jet or chopper to explode, but rather bounce off harmlessly, have also been fixed.

But most importantly of all, the jeeps finally have horns (just like the good old days!)

Also, shotguns won't do maximum damage beyond 15m. No more shotgun sniping sits well with me.

Is anyone still playing BF3? Just you and me, edgey?

Anyway, there's a really long list of changes in the upcoming (no ETA yet) patch. Needless to say, there's A LOT of balance changes and fixes. Some of the bits of the fighter jet guide will have to be re-evaluated considering some of the upcoming changes. One of those changes is that flares are now effective against laser-guided missiles.
If I had to guess, I think keeping an aerial vehicle airborne will be a more frantic experience, especially as those odd collisions not causing a jet or chopper to explode, but rather bounce off harmlessly, have also been fixed.

But most importantly of all, the jeeps finally have horns (just like the good old days!)

Also, shotguns won't do maximum damage beyond 15m. No more shotgun sniping sits well with me.

Things need to change with jets, some are so good at nailing the perfect speed for turning that your toast within 2 seconds

Nice one for bumping this thread, seems to be the same faces keeping it alive lol.
Not played Battlefield 3 for a few days but this is due to my Computer being at my parents place whilst i figure out where the hell I'm gonna put it at mine (was in the living room but since the arrival of my son I've had to move it).

Last few games i played were decent, got my KD up above 1 again ;) and earned a couple more medals and service stars. Still only level 31 tho.

The updates are very welcone indeed, especially the one for respawns and the one for damage taken falling from small hights. Personally I'd like them to nerf the mobile AA tho as many a game I've barely got off the ground before being locked onto from the other side of the map! STILL don't have flares for my jets so I'm not lasting long as it is! A nerf on the torches too (or just do away with them altogether... I never use them or the lasers).

And finally, noticed MW3 has had a recent expansion (map pack for a map pack lol) and this prompted me to wonder how long us BF fans will have to wait for the next one?... Am I being to optimistic to hope for something by summer??
Suppose it depends what the expansion contains really. I would like to see new factions as this would open up oppertunity for new maps/co-op missions/weapons/vehicle's. I'd obviously want British Forces to be one of those factions as there aint enough games with a decent representation for us Brits (Arma 2 expansion British Armed Forces is the best I've played). And maybe Iranian forces as the other.
But not sure how they'll approach the next expansion? Will it be an expansion on the existing theme or will they do what they habe done in the past and do a whole new theme (like Vietnam) in which case I'd like to see 1944 redone.

Hopefully be back on again soon
Ralphy whats your BF3 tag??

Last edited:
new DLC announced. not as exciting as id hoped tho... called Battlefield 3: close quarters its basically a collection of small confined infantry only maps. some complaining that the game heads in CODs direction with these maps? seen a short trailer but cant post as im on my crappy phone (long story, lost galaxy s2 baught temp phone galaxy Y... and its shocking!! hence why i been quiet on here the last week or so). anyway its rumoured for June release with another DLC map pack to follow shortly after that boasts "largest map in Battlefield history".

my question is, thought they werent gonna churn out map packs but "expansions"? we'll see i spose

EDIT:

Ok so here's the trailer... notice there will be new weapons too. And one of those weapons I saw in the trailer was one I mentioned back in this thread!! ;)
at 1:04 in the video you may recognise this bad boy I posted on my "wanted weapons list"

L86.jpg

Here's the trailer;

[video=youtube;s9N853JrG_0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9N853JrG_0[/video]

Someones posted this list in the comments section as the list of weapons (not sure how accurate the list is but interesting if true)

MTAR-21

SPAS-12

ACW-R

LSAT

L86A1 LSW

AUG

SCAR-L

Last edited:
Always with the 1 week early for PS3 nonsense!
But it does seem this particular "expansion" (call it what you want EA/DICE, but these are glorified map packs with a few new weapons). But the following whatever will definitely be big maps and vehicles.

That weapon looks like it fires incredibly stable even while standing.

Any word on when the next patch is supposed to come out?

edit: just looked into the patch... estimates are putting it at around a week away *fingers crossed*

Last edited:
I have neglected BF for a few months whilst I got into Skyrim but seeing the patch notes and this thread I think I'm gonna have to give it a crack again.

I have neglected BF for a few months whilst I got into Skyrim but seeing the patch notes and this thread I think I'm gonna have to give it a crack again.

Yeah I've neglegted it recently but thats mainly due to the fact I moved my computer and it must've been in a WiFi blackspot as I couldn't get more than 1 bar of signal! So been playing offline games mainly like Metros 2033 and Crysis. But connection issues have been resolved and soon as I find a spare minute in the day I'll be back on BF as I'm still only rank 31!

Looking forward to the next patch and this expansion/map pack looks decent enough... But dissapointed that MW3 has added 2 new Spec Ops missions on top of a few more maps yet BF3 hasn't added more Co-Op missions and from the sounds of it, the Map pack/expansion after Close Quarters will be just a few more maps (plus the biggest ever BF map so they boast)

Yeah I've neglegted it recently but thats mainly due to the fact I moved my computer and it must've been in a WiFi blackspot as I couldn't get more than 1 bar of signal! So been playing offline games mainly like Metros 2033 and Crysis. But connection issues have been resolved and soon as I find a spare minute in the day I'll be back on BF as I'm still only rank 31!

Looking forward to the next patch and this expansion/map pack looks decent enough... But dissapointed that MW3 has added 2 new Spec Ops missions on top of a few more maps yet BF3 hasn't added more Co-Op missions and from the sounds of it, the Map pack/expansion after Close Quarters will be just a few more maps (plus the biggest ever BF map so they boast)

Right, those co-op missions were actually fun! If they included, say, 4 more co-op missions on top of whatever else, then I'd call it an expansion.

$15 for 4 new maps and a few new weapons, though? I'll wait and see what the verdict is when it's released, but I won't be hopping up and down waiting for it to come out. The level of destruction does look pretty insane, would be cool if you could cause individual floors to collapse!

Right, those co-op missions were actually fun! If they included, say, 4 more co-op missions on top of whatever else, then I'd call it an expansion.

$15 for 4 new maps and a few new weapons, though? I'll wait and see what the verdict is when it's released, but I won't be hopping up and down waiting for it to come out. The level of destruction does look pretty insane, would be cool if you could cause individual floors to collapse!

I'm guessing the work they have put into the destruction is what, for them, warrants calling it an expansion rather than a map/weapon pack which is what it seems to me to be

Had an absolute epic match on Metro last night!! 1400 tickets NO EXPLOSIVES!!! No mortar/RPG/M320/Grenades/C4 and even no Shotgun.... Just all out guns and knifes!! Was a nice change from the usual RPG/M320 spamming you get on a Metro Conquest game (usually fighting over Flag B in the ticket hall).
Managed a 19/12 KD as I joined the game late... But my main points haul came from Resupply ribbons. Got 24 ribbons in total and majority of those were Resupply. Here's the battle report;

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/#!/bf3/battlereport/show/25613931/1/348943918/

Last edited:
new DLC announced. not as exciting as id hoped tho... called Battlefield 3: close quarters its basically a collection of small confined infantry only maps. some complaining that the game heads in CODs direction with these maps? seen a short trailer but cant post as im on my crappy phone (long story, lost galaxy s2 baught temp phone galaxy Y... and its shocking!! hence why i been quiet on here the last week or so). anyway its rumoured for June release with another DLC map pack to follow shortly after that boasts "largest map in Battlefield history".

my question is, thought they werent gonna churn out map packs but "expansions"? we'll see i spose

EDIT:

Ok so here's the trailer... notice there will be new weapons too. And one of those weapons I saw in the trailer was one I mentioned back in this thread!! ;)
at 1:04 in the video you may recognise this bad boy I posted on my "wanted weapons list"

L86.jpg

Here's the trailer;

[video=youtube;s9N853JrG_0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9N853JrG_0[/video]

Someones posted this list in the comments section as the list of weapons (not sure how accurate the list is but interesting if true)

MTAR-21

SPAS-12

ACW-R

LSAT

L86A1 LSW

AUG

SCAR-L

To be honest the look of the new expansion pack disappoints me. It almost looks as though they're catering for the CoD crowd with maps that will be very much twitch based and not require much thought or strategy.

To be honest the look of the new expansion pack disappoints me. It almost looks as though they're catering for the CoD crowd with maps that will be very much twitch based and not require much thought or strategy.

Also just read that the new maps won't even be Rush... so I'm assuming it's just Team Deathmatch. I think I might pass on this, but if all the new "map packs" get bundled I would look into it.

PS3 owners of BF3 already can get the patch, but Xbox360 and PC will get it tomorrow!

I'll paste the key patch notes, for me at least:
General
-Shotgun Buck and Flechette rounds now have a less suppressive effect at medium to long range.
-Tweaked the damage levels of Buck and Flechette rounds to balance them with other weapons.

-Switching from primary weapons to sidearms and back now takes less time.
-Players now get up from Prone slightly faster, allowing better odds of getting away from a grenade or threat when prone.
-Fixed some situations that would unintentionally make a player unrevivable.
-The bipod should now be more reliable when deploying on top of sloped objects like cars and rocks.

-Increased the power of explosions from cars and other explosive static objects.

Vehicles
-Increased the damage the MBT’s primary weapon does to the front and side armor of other main battle tanks.
(Primarily this means 1 less shot to the front, and very good hits to the side can result in a 1 hit to disable.)

-Increased the damage of the Javelin and Air to Ground missiles against laser designated targets.
-Javelin missiles fired without Laser targeting now do more damage to the side and rear of MBTs.
-Slightly reduced the locking time of all weapons vs Laser Designated targets.
-Laser Guided missiles can now be distracted by Flares.

-Flares now more reliably distract missiles, especially for Helicopters.
-Flares for Jets and Choppers now reload at 11 seconds again, except for the gunner, which remains unchanged at 20sec.
-AA Missiles are more difficult to dodge in Jets, this was unintended behavior that created an imbalance against skilled pilots.

-Slightly reduced the damage of Jet cannons against Aircraft. Damage is now only slightly higher than it was originally at launch.
-The IGLA and Stinger now lock on much more quickly and disable an attack aircraft in 1 hit, but have significantly reduced range. This should allow Stingers to mount an effective close range point defense, without dominating an entire airspace.

-Fixed several bugs with air vehicles colliding with objects at high speeds and taking no damage. :(
-Players will no longer receive suicides or team kills if they crash their vehicle (dying is punishment enough). :)

-Disabled vehicles now have an increased reverse speed to help escape to cover after being disabled.
-Slightly reduced the repair speed of the repair tool.

-Reduced the damage AA guns (both mobile and stationary) do to infantry.

-Added Horns to all Jeeps. :)

Weapons
Several weapons have had recoil or accuracy adjusted in order to balance these weapons in effectiveness and also increase the feeling of individuality in each gun

-Semiautomatic and automatic shotguns firing FRAG rounds now do slightly less splash damage.

----------------------------
I'm definitely excited for this patch, should inject some new life into the game for me. As long as I don't have to eat frag rounds from shotguns fired over 150m away, I should be a happy...opposite of camper.

Ok have just got into BF3 and am ready to have a go online, I have activated the online pass but I cant seem to connect. What do I need to do ffs? Oh PS3 btw.

Enjoyed playing this last night its much more cerebral that COD, cant wait for my keyboard + mouse adapter to arrive though!

Anyone playing on PS3 add me:TheTecMan

Played a TDM last night... First time i played the game for a couple weeks and first ive played it since the huge patch recently. Was ok, didnt notice any difference really although i was drop-shot! Pretty sure you couldnt do that before so was well tinkled off as if theyve allowed drop-shots they are pandering to the arcade COD fans!!

Back