• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Barclays Bank Busted

Lol.

So you acknowledge if I had put my money in 13 years ago I'd now have LESS money?

And if I factor in inflation??

Probably would have halved my money in real terms.....FANTASTIC!! :)

But over 15 years you would be up 15.9% (on the FTSE 100 index)

Anyway, as you said, investing in a tracker is fairly dull

You won't see spectacular returns

On my trades this morning I am £544 up (MRS, ICP and POG)

If you're into shares, lets swap ideas / watchlists!

Contrary to perception I don;t have the time to day trade! :)

Tried Forex and Gold out before with IG Index but it's a minefield!!

What float are you playing with?

The FTSE 100 does, yes. In 1984 (when the index began) it was set at a benchmark value of 1000.

The index measures the 100 biggest companies in the UK by market cap.

But every quarter, the index is re-evaluated. Companies that are no longer big enough drop out to be replaced by companies that have increased in size.

In effect, the FTSE 100 measure the increasing performance of the UK's fastest growing companies ONLY.

Any company that weighs down the index, is kicked out and replaced by another that is growing!!!

On any given day, month or even year, the constituents of the index might under-perform and the index will drop.

Today it dropped -0.56%. (but it's still higher than it was in 1984!!)

Come back to this thread in a years time, or 10 years time, or 100 years time.

Over the long term, it cannot ever be anything but up.
Unless of course all the companies in the entire UK disappear. Which is fairly unlikely.

But, what you say would only be helpful if you invested on inception in 1984, though?

I'm looking to invest in shares.

I have around £10k to play around with, anyone have any recommendations to a newbie? I don't know where to begin to be honest. Where do you gather your information? who do you use as your broker? How do I make the £10k into a million in a short term basis?

I've watched Wall Street twice, btw.

It annoys me when people stick up for the banks. Yes they do an important job, but that doesn't mean they should have the licence to do whatever they damn well please.

Another scandal today over selling interest protection products to businesses, many of which subsequently went bust as a result of the onerous charges.

When are people going to start being sent to jail?

I want commissions clawed back.

The moral is if you are systematically going to defraud the customers of the worlds banking system in it's entirety, do not do it casually on the offer of a glass of "Bollie".

Because you and your mates might just get found out for what you are, reckless, arrogant mincing c***s.

We really should be looking at revoking banking licenses for corporations where this sort of attitude was commonplace, and the individuals concerned blackballed from financial services.

I'm looking to invest in shares.

I have around £10k to play around with, anyone have any recommendations to a newbie? I don't know where to begin to be honest. Where do you gather your information? who do you use as your broker? How do I make the £10k into a million in a short term basis?

I've watched Wall Street twice, btw.

Try looking at www.iii.co.uk - You can make investments directly through there and they only charge £10 per transaction or you can get discounts if you trade more regularly. Forums there are decent as well, worth a read to get an idea of current and future trends etc.
The moral is if you are systematically going to defraud the customers of the worlds banking system in it's entirety, do not do it casually on the offer of a glass of "Bollie".

Because you and your mates might just get found out for what you are, reckless, arrogant mincing c***s.

We really should be looking at revoking banking licenses for corporations where this sort of attitude was commonplace, and the individuals concerned blackballed from financial services.

Exactly, should be licenses for banks, being too big to fail isn't an excuse really.

Happened in accountancy with Arthur Andersen.

Wow, I don't know where to start. And if you knew me, you wouldn't be arguing with me on this one. :D

It's UP 17.97% in 10 years

It's UP 36.59 in 9 years

It's UP 25.04% in 8 years

It's DOWN -16.36% in 5 years

It's DOWN -3.59% in 1 year

It's UP 2.55% in 1 month

Peaks and troughs but it marches forward because the index ONLY includes growing companies

Just to make it clear, I've drawn a green line to indicate whether or not the index is UP or DOWN, ignoring the peaks and troughs

2yzbj85.png

Next, you'll be telling me I'm wrong about the sky being blue and the clouds being white

In the same way i could show you a graph of a deposit account and say 'it always goes up'.

If the ftse100 had not advanced since 1984 we would all be in the sh*t.

As Leeds is probably suggesting its entry and exit points that are important. Some (most) peoples exit point is governed by retirement (when they shift into very low risk products) and sadly since the late 90's the 100 has gone sideways (well a bit south if i'm honest). That's 13/14 yrs and counting.

With the western economy dependent on growth, (i see lots of that:^)) if we japan our way out of this, there could be another ten years added to that and all of a sudden a big chunk of everyones saving lifetime becomes a bit sh*t. But lets face it, we never had it so good before 2007, too good.

Any managed fund (with the charges attached) that realistically is just a tracker underneath is a f*cking liberty and to get the thread back on track its the big banks that have punted a lot of this poo poo.

ETF's can follow most indexes, commodities etc just the same as a tracker.

Southstand are those graphs adjusted for inflation? A bag of golden wonder cost me 7p in 84, now what are they 50p. And if you hit 10000 by 2020 thats a 3000 rise since 1999. Do the math and celebrate.:cry:

Investing in equities is my hobby, not a job

But I'd be disappointed not to make 10-30% gains every month

Invest on events

If its hot get on the pubs

If the banks are being capitalised, get in

If the price of gold is rising, put yourmoney on miners

If there's a recession, back fast foods and supermarkets

You should have course just stick your money in a highstreet bank!

Good luck with that!

If you post your picks on a thread here for 3 months and demonstrate those returns I'll give you a grand. No flimflam.

Deal

10% minimum gains starting July

I will post a portfolio before Monday

If it comes in, donate to Macmillan please!

Deal

10% minimum gains starting July

I will post a portfolio before Monday

If it comes in, donate to Macmillan please!

This has got serious! Now now people stand by your word. Southstand it is only fair you also place £1k to a charity of Leeds choice if you fail to deliver!

Shall be monitoring this with interest (10% to be precise ;))

10 percent compound interest July-Sep, that's 34 percent growth over 3 months. If Southstand pulls this off we can all retire!! :)

Back