• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Barclays Bank Busted

Looks like I qualify on income but I don't have any other products. They make sufficient money out of you to throw you a bone I suppose

I qualify by virtue of having one in India, I get 14% interest there guaranteed as long as I invest the money for 2 years minimum. Once I get my overseas residency sorted I can move into property.

You need a premier account in India and to either be an Indian citizen, overseas resident of India or related to one.

Trackers always go up?

Ok mate, whatever!! :)

The FTSE 100 does, yes. In 1984 (when the index began) it was set at a benchmark value of 1000.

The index measures the 100 biggest companies in the UK by market cap.

But every quarter, the index is re-evaluated. Companies that are no longer big enough drop out to be replaced by companies that have increased in size.

In effect, the FTSE 100 measure the increasing performance of the UK's fastest growing companies ONLY.

Any company that weighs down the index, is kicked out and replaced by another that is growing!!!

On any given day, month or even year, the constituents of the index might under-perform and the index will drop.

Today it dropped -0.56%. (but it's still higher than it was in 1984!!)

Come back to this thread in a years time, or 10 years time, or 100 years time.

Over the long term, it cannot ever be anything but up.

Unless of course all the companies in the entire UK disappear. Which is fairly unlikely.

That's not how it works.

The companies are ranked 1-100 by market capitalisation. The bottom 3 are demoted and the top 3 in the FTSE 250 promoted. If the whole market falls, which it has over the last 5 years, then the companies and the top and bottom have fallen in value, the bottom companies have just fallen more.

The Ftse is lower now than it was 10 years ago.

Any serious investor would never have a tracker. Actively managed funds are the only way. Pick winning sectors.

Any serious investor would never have a tracker. Actively managed funds are the only way. Pick winning sectors.

I pick my own equities in an ISA and invest every pay day

10% up this month!

Tomorrow when I'm not on my phone I will draw a picture for you showing the performance of the FTSE 100, since its inception. It is up and always will be.

There are peaks and troughs (the recessions), but it ALWAYS goes up

Draw a diagonal line from 1984 to today. Ignore the peaks and dips. Tell me if its up or down

Now now, that not what you said. Of course it's up since inception!! Just not in the past 10 years. That's why only a mug would hav his money in it!!

So you're wrong. It doesn't always go up.

I pick my own equities in an ISA and invest every pay day

10% up this month!

Tomorrow when I'm not on my phone I will draw a picture for you showing the performance of the FTSE 100, since its inception. It is up and always will be.

There are peaks and troughs (the recessions), but it ALWAYS goes up

Draw a diagonal line from 1984 to today. Ignore the peaks and dips. Tell me if its up or down

Th link above shows the performance going back years.

And you were wrong about how the index is chosen.

Now now, that not what you said. Of course it's up since inception!! Just not in the past 10 years. That's why only a mug would hav his money in it!!

So you're wrong. It doesn't always go up.

Wow, I don't know where to start. And if you knew me, you wouldn't be arguing with me on this one. :D

2mqons4.png

It's UP 17.97% in 10 years

It's UP 36.59 in 9 years

It's UP 25.04% in 8 years

It's DOWN -16.36% in 5 years

It's DOWN -3.59% in 1 year

It's UP 2.55% in 1 month

Peaks and troughs but it marches forward because the index ONLY includes growing companies

Just to make it clear, I've drawn a green line to indicate whether or not the index is UP or DOWN, ignoring the peaks and troughs

2yzbj85.png

Next, you'll be telling me I'm wrong about the sky being blue and the clouds being white

What was the index peak? And when was it?

Peak being the operative word my fellow yid

Ignore the peaks...ignore the troughs

As long as capitalism exists, the index will ALWAYS rise

It's rigged because the losers are jettisoned each quarter...and always replaced by WINNERS!

Back