• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

AVB's one upfront system doomed for failure at WHL

Tottenham Hotspur have lost back-to-back Premier League home games for the first time since September 2008

Spurs failed to score at home in the Premier League for the first time since 19 March 2011, this after netting in 29 successive games at White Hart Lane before this match

i thought i could smell a bit of Ramos in todays shocker of a performance

Hudd was poor today too. Yes Dempsey was a passenger and Sig isn't as good as many on here thought, but today our midfield was inferior. The team also looked ill prepared for a very good Wigan team which is worrying.

I want to know what value Avb has added to Tottenham hotspur. What is he doing to address our failings from last season and how does he motivate his players. At the moment he has added very little IMO and is relying on bale and Lennon to produce something special. If they don't (today) we lose out.

Not good for Villas Boas all this.

Take the Win at Old Trafford away, and the rest has been very poor. Hes living on that win for now.

The football at home is just very very poor.

Fans at the game today were very unhappy. I hadnt seen anything like it.

If we are going to continue playing 451, can't we use Townsend on the left wing, Bale to be the free midfielder who can attack from the centre? With Bale roaming then he can play that role anyhows and with Townsend, we have the natural width.

If we are going to continue playing 451, can't we use Townsend on the left wing, Bale to be the free midfielder who can attack from the centre? With Bale roaming then he can play that role anyhows and with Townsend, we have the natural width.

thats an idea, although id rather go with 2 up top. But for a 451 i wouldnt mind giving that a go

There are 4-5-1s and 4-5-1s.

AVB's 4-5-1 seems to have two midfielders pinned to the defence. Which is too negative an approach at home.
Whereas other 4-5-1s have a triangular three man central midfield capable of both attacking and defending, and who are more fluid in their movement.

Come back from the Lane and sick of AVB's stubbornness not to be more flexible with his system of one upfront at home.

We were 1 nil down and he took Defoe off and brought on Ade. Brought boos from the crowd and nobody could frankly understand the decision.

I think the 1 upfront can work away from home as we have pacey players on the break but not at the Lane.. We're just not treating enough for me and Defoe needs support, he's getting scraps to feed off at the moment. With too up aswell the wingers would more to aim at.

When we play at the Lane we need to play Defoe and Ade upfront full stop. Dempsey does very little and those 2 upfront would work so much better.. Sort it out Andre!

=D>

and bring back some excitement to the Lane ffs.

Tottenham Hotspur have lost back-to-back Premier League home games for the first time since September 2008

Spurs failed to score at home in the Premier League for the first time since 19 March 2011, this after netting in 29 successive games at White Hart Lane before this match

Those are dreary stats. I remember when we drew at Chelsea in the Cup and Mourinho put on an extra 3 strikers as subs. We had only one striker on the pitch and 1 striker on the bench.

City played with 3 strikers all game against WHAM, couldn't score a goal to save their lives.

Bringing in more roofers doesn't help build the house quicker, they can't do their job without the builders doing theirs first.

Bringing in more roofers doesn't help build the house quicker, they can't do their job without the builders doing theirs first.

Exactly. It's not just 1 up front that isnt working, whatever is going on in defense and midfield is equally brick.

Hudd was poor today too. Yes Dempsey was a passenger and Sig isn't as good as many on here thought, but today our midfield was inferior. The team also looked ill prepared for a very good Wigan team which is worrying.

I want to know what value Avb has added to Tottenham hotspur. What is he doing to address our failings from last season and how does he motivate his players. At the moment he has added very little IMO and is relying on bale and Lennon to produce something special. If they don't (today) we lose out.

Me too. Anyone?

City played with 3 strikers all game against WHAM, couldn't score a goal to save their lives.

Good point but they had three strikers. Which is 50% more strikers than we had or 200% more strikers on the pitch than we had.

But they didn't score either, did they? What were we talking about again?

No, they didn't score, just saying that maybe we hadn't scored today even with three strikers. But boy do I wish we had someone like Aguero or Javi Martinez to throw on. Sometimes it's not the formation, but the players, sometimes it's the formation, sometimes it's the manager, sometimes it's just a bad day all around.

Today though I feel he picked the wrong formation. I love the 4-2-3-1 (or 4-5-1), but only with the right players. I feel that with what we had available today, a 4-4-2 would be more ideal.

On your last question, I don't know, bedtime for me now. Soon. Maybe.

Last edited:
Me too. Anyone?

The trouble is, all you are going to get is "give it time" .... the only problem is Spurs werent a club that needed turning around or a squad that needed over hauling... so what time is required ?

4th 5th 4th is what Harry achieved, we changed manager to try and kick on from there, but so far the early signs are we may struggle to get back to where we were.

We shouldnt be talking about giving a manager time, we should be talking about whether we are closing the gap on the top teams. Still, maybe AVBs master plan is to spread the results out across the season, Harry was a victim of his own success in the first 2/3 of the season.

The trouble is, all you are going to get is "give it time" .... the only problem is Spurs werent a club that needed turning around or a squad that needed over hauling... so what time is required ?

4th 5th 4th is what Harry achieved, we changed manager to try and kick on from there, but so far the early signs are we may struggle to get back to where we were.

We shouldnt be talking about giving a manager time, we should be talking about whether we are closing the gap on the top teams. Still, maybe AVBs master plan is to spread the results out across the season, Harry was a victim of his own success in the first 2/3 of the season.

Thats precisely it - it was a club that didnt need too much changing - we werent in a relegation battle and fighting for our future. Anyways Harry is gone and im actually looking at this from an objective viewpoint im sure like yourself and others.

Away from home AVB has done well and im actually very confident against bricky and Arse its the home form that really is despicable and AVB needs to drop his stubbornness and start playing more offensively. Then again you can have five strikers up front but if the midfield arent creating then they just wont score and we wont win - thats down to AVB.

Didn't need much changing?

Our best player (possibly two) wanted to leave, our best central defender for the past ten years retired and we had several players who were clearly stop-gaps who ran out of contract and required replacing and you are trying to tell me we didn't need an overhaul?

Utter madness. We're currently 5th. Only ten games into the season. With a number of good player out injured. We're still within distance of first and we're already writing the manager off? People appear to have unrealistic expectations after losing players of the calibre of Modric, Vdv and King..

Last edited:
Is AVB going to be the most unluckiest Spurs manager ever ? Even before he started, he had already lost 2 key players in King and Modric. Then we sold VDV thinking we could get Moutinho which we failed to do. Then the injury problems struck with Kaboul, BAE, Parker, Dembele and now Sandro injured. I wonder if AVB will be able to field our strongest first 11 this season. I think we need atleast Dembele and Sandro in midfield. They showed what they can do when we beat ManU at Old Trafford.

Is AVB going to be the most unluckiest Spurs manager ever ? Even before he started, he had already lost 2 key players in King and Modric. Then we sold VDV thinking we could get Moutinho which we failed to do. Then the injury problems struck with Kaboul, BAE, Parker, Dembele and now Sandro injured. I wonder if AVB will be able to field our strongest first 11 this season. I think we need atleast Dembele and Sandro in midfield. They showed what they can do when we beat ManU at Old Trafford.

He has been unlucky with injuries, to be fair. I'm certain we'd be much better off yesterday with Sandro for the entire game, and I think both Dembele and Parker would be preferred over Thudd in the middle. A midfield trio of Sandro - Parker - Dembele would have made a big difference yesterday, IMO.

Back