• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

AVB

Set to the new coach at Zenit

AVB confirmed it in a phone call with Benficas manager yesterday

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1751613?cc=5739

That story is really interesting to me for one reason - Jesus has an excellent relationship with AVB.

I'm not sure if Jesus is typically that crazy on the touchline, but let's say that Sherwood was the reason Levy turned against AVB and who made life difficult for him, maybe AVB tells Jesus this and Jesus decides to rile Tim up a bit when he gets the chance. Would explain a lot.

That story is really interesting to me for one reason - Jesus has an excellent relationship with AVB.

I'm not sure if Jesus is typically that crazy on the touchline, but let's say that Sherwood was the reason Levy turned against AVB and who made life difficult for him, maybe AVB tells Jesus this and Jesus decides to rile Tim up a bit when he gets the chance. Would explain a lot.

i was thinking this just after it all kicked off on the touchl;ine

That was the first thing that came to my head when I read that they had a phone call between them discussing AVB taking the Zenit job. Indeed it would explain a lot as Benfica's manager whilst very passionate at the sidelines does not have a history of directly riling coaches and getting into the type of mind-games that people like Mourinho or even Pardew....

Feelings of injustice can be very VERY big motivations in football...I guess this means we are going to get ROYALLY dingdonged on Thursday...:(

AVB has a new job.. Unbelievable!

This guy is obviously very good at interviews because he's just got another job in Russia at Zenit this time.

In his inteview for the press he makes it sound like it was his ambition to always manage in Russia.. lol

He must be one of the best at 'powerpoint' presentations aswell. Levy got it so wrong with him, the football was just garbage and his interviews just as dyer.

Re: AVB has a new job.. Unbelievable!

but i thought he was being lined up for the Barcelona gig, or was waiting to take over one of the mega rich French clubs PSG/Monaco..............so he has ended up in Russia has he. Apparently the Zenit fans are not keen at all

I think that's a terrible move for him.

It's hard enough to manage a football team without also having to deal with culture shock. And Russia will be a big culture shock. AVB has quite enough to be worrying about - this must be his last go at a really top job for some time if he botches it - without also having to deal with such a big change of environment.

He'd have been much better off taking a 2nd or 3rd tier job in Western Europe (an Aston Villa/Espanyol/Bordeaux/Parma type job) to rebuild his ideas and confidence in familiar surroundings. I fear his lack of self-awareness and ego have pushed him into taking a big budget, big name job when that really isn't the most important thing in his career right now.

I think he was a disaster at Spurs and was rightly sacked, but I don't bear him any ill-will and wish him well.

I thought he'd end up in Milan (with either club) - he's apparently well regarded in the city from his time there with Inter.

I think that's a terrible move for him.

It's hard enough to manage a football team without also having to deal with culture shock. And Russia will be a big culture shock. AVB has quite enough to be worrying about - this must be his last go at a really top job for some time if he botches it - without also having to deal with such a big change of environment.

He'd have been much better off taking a 2nd or 3rd tier job in Western Europe (an Aston Villa/Espanyol/Bordeaux/Parma type job) to rebuild his ideas and confidence in familiar surroundings. I fear his lack of self-awareness and ego have pushed him into taking a big budget, big name job when that really isn't the most important thing in his career right now.

I think he was a disaster at Spurs and was rightly sacked, but I don't bear him any ill-will and wish him well.

I still don't understand how the man who helped us to our record points total in the league is considered a disaster.

I still don't understand how the man who helped us to our record points total in the league is considered a disaster.

Isn't Gareth Bale the explanation for that? The idea that last season was otherwise so exceptional that it's the best we've ever done points-wise doesn't add up at all.

By all means say we were "good" or "solid" or whatever, but if you're looking for an explanation why we got record points, there's only one possible explanation for that which is the presence of a single truly world class player.

Ed: Indeed, this season under AVB was pretty much the exact same as last season only with Bale removed.

Find it strange that AVB has decided to coach Zenit. Thought he will be getting offers from big clubs like Milan or even Barcelona. Afterall, he was linked to Barcelona last season. Maybe he wants to coach in less demanding teams first. Anyway, good luck to AVB. Always enjoyed watching his passionate goal celebrations when he was at Spurs.

Last edited:
2 year contract it seems......so he has gone from a 4 year deal at chels, to a 3 year deal at Spurs, and now a 2 year deal a Zenit

AVB+leaving.gif
... private jet... no more Ryanair for you AVB....

Back