• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

AVB versus Martinez

Where is the evidence to support this ( genuine question)? As for the second part where is the evidence of that? For all the analysis that his mind does, our team does not create many goal scoring opportunities unlike Martinez's team today, I don't think it's enough to say that they signed PL players whereas we didn't especially as our players, for the money we paid, were supposed to be comparatively much better. Contrast our performance at the Emirates to Everton ( granted our game was earlier in the season).
Also why look at our game v arsenal in isolation? The motivation and the occasion is completely different for us. We could look at our game v them at goodison where we bossed them for the majority of the game

Wonder if Andre has birdseye potatoe waffles for breakfast lunch and dinner........

wonder with avb whether you have to siphon through the waffle to get to the important stuff......like cracking the inspector morse code or something.

I remember at the time when Harry was sacked. I was fingers crossed we went for either Martinez or Rodgers. Both did very well at Swansea and I loved their style of play under them.

Unfortunately I think we missed a trick. We're currently watching a Tottenham team that isn't playing to its values or traditions, Liverpool are smashing teams left, right and centre and Everton for the first time in decades play some nice stuff which makes us pale in comparison.

Could be okay with that personally if we had more positive results on the board because my feeling is if you're gonna do what AVB's done and play this slow, tedious negative football then as long as you win almost every game then that's fine but those two have their teams above us playing much more exciting football. Depressing :/

Also why look at our game v arsenal in isolation? The motivation and the occasion is completely different for us. We could look at our game v them at goodison where we bossed them for the majority of the game

Only the 1st half mate. Second half we were hanging on. As for the goon game I thought it provided some context to the 2 managers discussion to see how their respective teams performed against one of the best teams in the PL when your tactics have to be spot on to get anything. I did insert the caveat of it being earlier in the season for us, but for us it would have meant more being the derby. We didn't cause the goons as much trouble as Everton.

Last edited:
[/B]

Only the 1st half mate. Second half we were hanging on. As for the goon game I thought it provided some context to the 2 managers discussion to see how their respective teams performed against one of the best teams in the PL when your tactics have to be spot on to get anything. I did insert the caveat of it being earlier in the season for us, but we didn't cause the goons as much trouble as Everton.

dont forget kyle walkers airshot at the end....I still cant.....

I seem to remember us dominating possesion (yes I know) and them camping the winniebago for large parts of the game.

Martinez's weakness has always been his defences. Let's see how long before Everton's starts to crumble.

I always like Martinez as a football man and he was very well respected by fellow managers whenever they talked about him. I think he also doesn't get enough praise for laying the foundations at Swansea that Brent-an Rogers then worked with and took all the plaudits. I would have welcomed him at Spurs in the same way that I welcomed AVB, as for how well he would do with our squad, he would still need a beast of a forward to really make his plan work. Bit like AVB does. Jury is still out as to whether Everton can maintain their form, but they are certainly entertaining to watch.

Lets not forget that its a season and a half ago, it was before the FA Cup win and after a season where Wigan had again started poorly and snuck to safety late in the season.

Martinez is proving to be an excellent appointment for Everton but I can see why Levy went with someone else.

Martinez's weakness has always been his defences. Let's see how long before Everton's starts to crumble.

There's a big difference in the teams they inherited. AVB has changed the way we defend and apart from two games we've never been this solid. Martinez inherited a settled and tight defensive unit. So yeah, let's wait and see what happens there first.

Another important factor is that Martinez wants complete control over transfers. Levy would never allow that and nor should he.

Levy's choice of AVB was perfectly solid even if, like me, you favoured Martinez. Second-guessing that choice after the fact isn't really fair. We clearly needed a young coach with energy and ideas who's name wasn't Brendan Rodgers. As such, it was a coin-flip between Martinez and AVB.

There's a big difference in the teams they inherited. AVB has changed the way we defend and apart from two games we've never been this solid. Martinez inherited a settled and tight defensive unit. So yeah, let's wait and see what happens there first.

In the 2011/2012 season we conceded 41 goals under Redknapp. Under AVB we conceded 46 goals in the 2012/2013 season. In fact, in Redknapps 3 full seasons we conceded:

41 goals
46 goals
41 goals

Hell even in the 08/09 season where we started of turbo ****e...we conceded 45 goals.

Please please don't try to rewrite history and make it as if AVB inherited some turbo **** defence that conceded left, right and centre when in actual fact our defensive record was better prior to his arrival. It's annoying and simply incorrect.

KD - what are the comparative goals scored for last season and the seasons previous under Redknapp? Out of interest, onbviously nothing to do with the defensive argument. Would be interesting to see how far we fell in an attacking sense under AVB (if at all)

KD - what are the comparative goals scored for last season and the seasons previous under Redknapp? Out of interest, onbviously nothing to do with the defensive argument. Would be interesting to see how far we fell in an attacking sense under AVB (if at all)

Seasons under Redknapp =

09/10 = 67 goals
10/11 = 55 goals
11/12 = 66 goals

Last season 66 goals scored so pretty much same thing really.

Everton have been missing the striker they need for years and now they have Lukaku.
I dont think much of it is down to Martinez yet.

Everton have been missing the striker they need for years and now they have Lukaku.
I dont think much of it is down to Martinez yet.

That would be a very interesting question: Martinez vs Chelsea - who has done more to improve Everton?

Seasons under Redknapp =

09/10 = 67 goals
10/11 = 55 goals
11/12 = 66 goals

Last season 66 goals scored so pretty much same thing really.

Cheers.

Interesting stats those, obviously you can't read too much in to just the plain numbers given (be those goals scored or goals conceeded for that matter) but quite surprising none the less.

In the 2011/2012 season we conceded 41 goals under Redknapp. Under AVB we conceded 46 goals in the 2012/2013 season. In fact, in Redknapps 3 full seasons we conceded:

41 goals
46 goals
41 goals

Hell even in the 08/09 season where we started of turbo ****e...we conceded 45 goals.

Please please don't try to rewrite history and make it as if AVB inherited some turbo **** defence that conceded left, right and centre when in actual fact our defensive record was better prior to his arrival. It's annoying and simply incorrect.

I was talking about THIS season. Take away the two freak results and we've conceded 7 in the other 13 matches. I'd extremely surprised if we conceded more than 40 goals this season.

I was talking about THIS season. Take away the two freak results and we've conceded 7 in the other 13 matches. I'd extremely surprised if we conceded more than 40 goals this season.

You said there's a big difference between the teams inherited and then spoke about how AVB has changed the way we defend thus implying we didn't defend this well previously. In reality the stats show we've been defensively solid since 07/08 season and if anything there has been a slight decline (although of course very very slight) since AVB has taken over. I find it slightly strange that you would be talking about this season being that we're not even half way through yet...slightly premature to say the least.

Back