• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

AVB versus Martinez

Whelan and Kenwright also know they can't compete with the top teams financially and are happy as long as they're punching their weight or thereabouts. Martinez was turned down for the Liverpool job, possibly because their owners wouldn't let him do everything his way.

You're so quick to discredit his accomplishments but will make it your personal lifetime goal to build up everything AVB does and make every excuse under the sun for anything that he does wrong.

i didn't - i saw your comment earlier though, care to expand?

I can't do it justice without the visuals they were showing.

Everton basically did a job on Arsenal and it was fantastic to see neville break it down. They showed clips of Mccartney suddenly stopping in the middle and dropping back to defence making it a back 3..and they suddenly changed formations..it was premeditated.

Again they showed another clip of Barry looking back, telling Coleman to stay forward and Barry himself dropping into the defence making it a back 3 again. They seem to have a system where each player takes turns dropping back and making it a back 3 thus allowing an extra 'runner' who rarely gets picked up. They were confusing Arsenal throughout.

You're so quick to discredit his accomplishments but will make it your personal lifetime goal to build up everything AVB does and make every excuse under the sun for anything that he does wrong.

I'm tired of all the attempts at finding new ways to belittle AVB. Some people don't want him as our manager and it won't stop until he's gone. I've never made a single excuse for him. I mostly respond to what I find as overly harsh criticisms and pointless negativity and offer possible and quite plausible reasons. Just because they don't fit in any anti-AVB theory doesn't mean they're excuses.

Everton basically did a job on Arsenal and it was fantastic to see neville break it down. They showed clips of Mccartney suddenly stopping in the middle and dropping back to defence making it a back 3..and they suddenly changed formations..it was premeditated.

Again they showed another clip of Barry looking back, telling Coleman to stay forward and Barry himself dropping into the defence making it a back 3 again. They seem to have a system where each player takes turns dropping back and making it a back 3 thus allowing an extra 'runner' who rarely gets picked up. They were confusing Arsenal throughout.

i was kinda hoping we'd see something similar funnily enough, think i mentioned it over the summer - a Sandro/Capoue type in the middle who should be able to fulfill the role of dropping in to the CB position to allow Walker and Rose the freedom to attack with with less defensive responsibility

Wigan won a total of 4 home games in the league last season, 5 in 2011/12 and 5 in 2010/11. Wigan were lucky beyond comprehension to have survived as long as they did. Regularly on the receiving end of 3 and 4 goal losses, not to mention the odd 5, 6 or 8. I have seen nothing to suggest Martinez is a top manager. The only thing you could say for certain is that he likes his teams to play nice football, even to the point where the results suffer.

If his last two seasons a Wigan at happened in reverse (good starts, poor finishes) no one would rate him. I think that he talks a good game but has a lot to prove. That doesn't mean that he won't prove it, just that it is too early to tell.

I'm tired of all the attempts at finding new ways to belittle AVB. Some people don't want him as our manager and it won't stop until he's gone. I've never made a single excuse for him. I mostly respond to what I find as overly harsh criticisms and pointless negativity and offer possible and quite plausible reasons. Just because they don't fit in any anti-AVB theory doesn't mean they're excuses.

Never made a single excuse :ross:

Your posts show no consistency. The same thing you accuse others of doing regarding AVB, you do the same for Martinez. Subliminal digs at his accomplishments yet you're 'tired of all the attempts at finding new ways to belittle AVB'.

He has not made us a more defensively solid unit and that's fact proven by stats. He didn't inherit a defensively unstable squad and that's fact proven by stats. You paint this picture as if we were in some sort of mess pre AVB but in reality it was nothing of the sort but you will continue to paint this picture until you literally cannot do it anymore.

Bringing up WIGANS poor record...WIGAN ****ING ATHLETIC. He should have got a knighthood keeping that shower of **** in this division for all those years before the inevitable happened.

If his last two seasons a Wigan at happened in reverse (good starts, poor finishes) no one would rate him. I think that he talks a good game but has a lot to prove. That doesn't mean that he won't prove it, just that it is too early to tell.

in your opinion of course. In reality most level headed will look at that squad and think 'wow he's done a good job there'. Not to mention the style of football they produced with 2 or 3 technically gifted players at most.

He won more at Wigan than David Moyes and Harry Redknapp won at superior clubs in Everton and Spurs.

He got them playing good football on a terrible pitch and never let go of his philosophy despite results. He turned Swansea into a team who played great football which was then inherited by Rodgers and now Laudrup and are a solid team playing Premier League and European football having just won the Carling Cup last year. And he is looking like at the moment turning Everton into a great team to watch who look to be solid defensively yet pleasing on the eye in attack.

I like Martinez and I don't know one person who doesn't like him as a human, one of the most loved managers in the country.

TBF mate can you imagine the vitriol on here if AVB had signed Gareth Barry in the Summer as our main midfielder. I agree with everything you say about Martinez otherwise btw. What I will say is that 2 seasons ago when we appointed AVB, Martinez's star was not quite so high, it would have looked much more of a gamble especially as Levy wanted a DoF. His win record at Wigan was very poor and his team often got tonked (including by Harry). But then again 2 seasons ago I felt that AVB was a massive gamble and I am still unsure that we made the right choice. If you are looking for a team who missed a trick then look no further then the bin dippers - mind you Brenton Rodgers fits much more with the stereotype. Going back to SUIHYA I was about to post on here that I really think we are looking at the next Arsenal manager in Martinez (didn't think about Chelsea)

i was kinda hoping we'd see something similar funnily enough, think i mentioned it over the summer - a Sandro/Capoue type in the middle who should be able to fulfill the role of dropping in to the CB position to allow Walker and Rose the freedom to attack with with less defensive responsibility

Obviously not deployed successfully but do you mean like this?

http://eplindex.com/44327/tottenham...washing Machine-united-tactical-analysis.html

Never made a single excuse :ross:

Your posts show no consistency. The same thing you accuse others of doing regarding AVB, you do the same for Martinez. Subliminal digs at his accomplishments yet you're 'tired of all the attempts at finding new ways to belittle AVB'.

He has not made us a more defensively solid unit and that's fact proven by stats. He didn't inherit a defensively unstable squad and that's fact proven by stats. You paint this picture as if we were in some sort of mess pre AVB but in reality it was nothing of the sort but you will continue to paint this picture until you literally cannot do it anymore.

Bringing up WIGANS poor record...WIGAN ****ING ATHLETIC. He should have got a knighthood keeping that shower of **** in this division for all those years before the inevitable happened.

What defenders did he inherit?

He won more at Wigan than David Moyes and Harry Redknapp won at superior clubs in Everton and Spurs.

He got them playing good football on a terrible pitch and never let go of his philosophy despite results. He turned Swansea into a team who played great football which was then inherited by Rodgers and now Laudrup and are a solid team playing Premier League and European football having just won the Carling Cup last year. And he is looking like at the moment turning Everton into a great team to watch who look to be solid defensively yet pleasing on the eye in attack.

I like Martinez and I don't know one person who doesn't like him as a human, one of the most loved managers in the country.

=D>excellent post.

Dawson, BAE, Walker, Kaboul, Rose, Naughton, Caulker, and I believe we were in for Vertonghen before We appointed AVB.

Rose and Caulker is probably stretching it a bit in that they had minimal first team experience for uys and you are missing Gallas but...

He inherited a back line that was slow apart from Walker and ill equipped for the way that he wanted his team to play.

He also lost our best defender as he walked in the door.

Rose and Caulker is probably stretching it a bit in that they had minimal first team experience for uys and you are missing Gallas but...

He inherited a back line that was slow apart from Walker and ill equipped for the way that he wanted his team to play.

He also lost our best defender as he walked in the door.

Our best defender? you're not honestly talking about Ledley king who who a shell of his former self and actually cost us badly at the end of the season? it must be someone else you're talking about.

As i said you can make every excuse under the sun. AVB was given a backline that conceded 41 goals prior to his arrival...i'm not going to get into a debate about what his style of play is etc etc. He's a manager that has to make decisions and should he feel the group of defenders do not have the necessary attributes to play his preferred style of play then he has the choice of not playing that way. He decided to play that way and it's worked defensively so the players must have had the necessary attributes that manager wanted.

I find it highly amusing the amount of excuses being made as to how martinez has managed to implement his style from the get go. Let me make it clear though...they do not play the same AT ALL in a defensive sense as people are trying to insinuate. It's the same personnel but the defenders are spreading far apart from one another, they are going 3 at the back for large chunks of a game, the wing backs are pushed all the way up. They've tweaked so much in a defensive sense so please no more excuses about them sticking to the same tactics.

Our best defender? you're not honestly talking about Ledley king who who a shell of his former self and actually cost us badly at the end of the season? it must be someone else you're talking about.

As i said you can make every excuse under the sun. AVB was given a backline that conceded 41 goals prior to his arrival...i'm not going to get into a debate about what his style of play is etc etc. He's a manager that has to make decisions and should he feel the group of defenders do not have the necessary attributes to play his preferred style of play then he has the choice of not playing that way. He decided to play that way and it's worked defensively so the players must have had the necessary attributes that manager wanted.

I find it highly amusing the amount of excuses being made as to how martinez has managed to implement his style from the get go. Let me make it clear though...they do not play the same AT ALL in a defensive sense as people are trying to insinuate. It's the same personnel but the defenders are spreading far apart from one another, they are going 3 at the back for large chunks of a game, the wing backs are pushed all the way up. They've tweaked so much in a defensive sense so please no more excuses about them sticking to the same tactics.

Yep. It was painful to watch King in the second half of his final season, Arsenal and Norwich in particular being two horror shows. When you get outfought and outpaced by Grant Holt you know it's time to hang it up.

He was the only player we lost that I can recall, and we added Vertonghen.

I have no problem with Martinez but I'd like to see more than what I consider to be just a snapshot of his career as a manager at Everton. Same with AVB, but he is our guy right now and I'm willing to wait and see if he proves to have a blueprint to success with our club.

Back