• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

AVB & Spurs Tactics and Formations discussion thread

I think he can play very well cutting in from the left. Haven't seen him much on the right.

Most teams that play 4-2-3-1 use one or two wide men that cut inside onto their best foot. AVB has used Hulk and Sturridge in those kinds of roles before. Wouldn't surprise me.

this is why i think dembele can be playing from the right...and dempsey down the middle at the tip with siggy in CM

dempsey is right footed and i would be as confident him providing key contributions with his left as much as dembele

in which case since dempsey is nowhere that good as a CM its either wing or behind the front man....but out of the 3 of siggy and dembele and demps i think siggy is the best for that role even though dempsey is a goal scoring monster right now

this is why i think dembele can be playing from the right...and dempsey down the middle at the tip with siggy in CM

dempsey is right footed and i would be as confident him providing key contributions with his left as much as dembele

in which case since dempsey is nowhere that good as a CM its either wing or behind the front man....but out of the 3 of siggy and dembele and demps i think siggy is the best for that role even though dempsey is a goal scoring monster right now

I agree that they all can play in the positions you say, I really want Dembele in a central role essentially replacing Modric though. I don't think Siggy is suited for that role and I agree that I don't think Dempsey is either. Dembele is though.

For me, looking at it in a 4-2-3-1 it's (in kinda ranked order):

Options for the two central players: Dembele, Sandro, Hudd, Parker, Livermore.

Options for wide left: Bale, Dempsey, Townsend

Options for central attacking midfield: Sig, Dempsey, Dembele moved forward.

Options for wide right: Lennon, and then one out of Dempsey, Dembele or Townsend.

Strikers: Ade, Defoe, Dempsey

That's pretty good in my opinion. I really think we need Dembele's skills in the centre though.

I think its interesting what other people are saying about us. They seem to think we have had a fantastic window. Modric was always going to go and to be honest with Sig, sandro, parker, Demb, Hudd, Livermore we should be fine in central midfield. Also going forward we have a choice of Sig, Demb, Bale, Lennon Dempsey, Ade, Defoe, Townsend in an interchangeable team. I don't feel that we have gone forward as a first 11 but i feel that we have gone great strides in making a squad that can be adapted depending on our opposition. Some forward formations,(wont bother with defence as I think we are all happy with that)

Sandro​
Demb​
Sig/Dempsey​
Bale​
Lennon​
Ade​
Probably out Number one formation. Speed on the width should get good service in the middle. Will need both Lennon and Bale playing the second centre forward when the ball is on the other wing. So like a left back on right back would do at the other end they will defend that space. The key thing here is that Sig/Dempsey play the Lampard role and get into the box nice and early too. This formation also gives us a 5 man midfield when defending.

Parker Sandro​
Hudd/Demb​
Sig​
Dempsey​
Bale/Defoe​

This formation will bring together a forward three the best. You could play Defoe because both Sig and Dempsey will hold up the ball this will give Defoe the space to play his normal game. You could also play Bale in this role and have an interchangeable front three. Hudd and Demb also should give us the vision to be able to hit the passes that we need.

Bale​
Sandro Demb​
Lennon​
Sig/Demp​
Ade​

How we played last season. We need to play the space much better and the sig role must now be disciplined and not drift like VDV use to do. This meant that ade was isolated a lot of the time and caused Bale to play too much inside. A 4-4-2 must be disciplined because if not it causes to many gaps for the opposition to penetrate.

Parker Livermore​
Sandro​
Demb​
Bale​
Ade​

A interesting formation that gives us a solid midfield 4 while still keeping the creativity.

These are only a few we can play and between the midfielders we have and the forward players I think we have a lot of interchangeable players.

I think we lack one striker and 1 wide man but I also feel that we should only go for decent quality and should not accept second best as this will not improve the team. This will be a transitional season and a cup win and a top 6 finish is what we need, as this has been where we have been for the last few years. I do feel that our 4th place finishes were more down to poor seasons by other teams, than us playing out of our skin.

All I have say is who ever plays COME ON YOU SPURS!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I agree that they all can play in the positions you say, I really want Dembele in a central role essentially replacing Modric though. I don't think Siggy is suited for that role and I agree that I don't think Dempsey is either. Dembele is though.

Options for wide right: Lennon, and then one out of Dempsey, Dembele or Townsend.

That's pretty good in my opinion. I really think we need Dembele's skills in the centre though.

i too would also prefer dembele in the cm ROLE and siggy at the tip. but for that to work then dempsey has to lamost totally abandon the RWF position and we would overload on the central areas getting complete control of the midfield in a 3-6-1 variation. thats the only way i see everyone starting IMO

I think its interesting what other people are saying about us. They seem to think we have had a fantastic window. Modric was always going to go and to be honest with Sig, sandro, parker, Demb, Hudd, Livermore we should be fine in central midfield. Also going forward we have a choice of Sig, Demb, Bale, Lennon Dempsey, Ade, Defoe, Townsend in an interchangeable team. I don't feel that we have gone forward as a first 11 but i feel that we have gone great strides in making a squad that can be adapted depending on our opposition. Some forward formations,(wont bother with defence as I think we are all happy with that)

Sandro​
Demb​
Sig/Dempsey​
Bale​
Lennon​
Ade​
Probably out Number one formation. Speed on the width should get good service in the middle. Will need both Lennon and Bale playing the second centre forward when the ball is on the other wing. So like a left back on right back would do at the other end they will defend that space. The key thing here is that Sig/Dempsey play the Lampard role and get into the box nice and early too. This formation also gives us a 5 man midfield when defending.

Parker Sandro​
Hudd/Demb​
Sig​
Dempsey​
Bale/Defoe​

This formation will bring together a forward three the best. You could play Defoe because both Sig and Dempsey will hold up the ball this will give Defoe the space to play his normal game. You could also play Bale in this role and have an interchangeable front three. Hudd and Demb also should give us the vision to be able to hit the passes that we need.

Bale​
Sandro Demb​
Lennon​
Sig/Demp​
Ade​

How we played last season. We need to play the space much better and the sig role must now be disciplined and not drift like VDV use to do. This meant that ade was isolated a lot of the time and caused Bale to play too much inside. A 4-4-2 must be disciplined because if not it causes to many gaps for the opposition to penetrate.

Parker Livermore​
Sandro​
Demb​
Bale​
Ade​

A interesting formation that gives us a solid midfield 4 while still keeping the creativity.

These are only a few we can play and between the midfielders we have and the forward players I think we have a lot of interchangeable players.

I think we lack one striker and 1 wide man but I also feel that we should only go for decent quality and should not accept second best as this will not improve the team. This will be a transitional season and a cup win and a top 6 finish is what we need, as this has been where we have been for the last few years. I do feel that our 4th place finishes were more down to poor seasons by other teams, than us playing out of our skin.

All I have say is who ever plays COME ON YOU SPURS!!!!!!!

hmmmm.....

just trying to digest that.....not really sure about quite a few scenarios there

oh Thudd is gone

i too would also prefer dembele in the cm ROLE and siggy at the tip. but for that to work then dempsey has to lamost totally abandon the RWF position and we would overload on the central areas getting complete control of the midfield in a 3-6-1 variation. thats the only way i see everyone starting IMO

I don't understand what you're getting at. Why would Dempsey have to abandon the RWF positions and why would we play some weirdo formation type thing just because of it?

it's called depth.

every successful team needs it.

Im well aware of that. My issue was predominantly we are buying first team players that are going to spend time on the bench - and Im not sure we are a club that can pull that off.

I thought just the same when we brought Dembele and then immediately chased Moutinho.

Having slept on it though Im more inclined to think like braineclipse below

I really, really want Dembele in CM. I think that will be key for us to making the whole system work. Someone in the middle able to support in defensive aspects well but more than anything able to open up the midfield completely with dribbling skills.

In the set up we look like having everytime he beats a man and breaks into space he will have attacking players all over to feed with the ball - very exciting IMHO.

Dempsey looks a very natural fit to VDVs boots, but also is a very creditable wide forward and even reserve striker.

Sigurdsson is, IMO, the long term heir to the VDV role but now has to work for his space

While we dont have entirely natural back ups to Bale and Lennon I do think we have a system that allows for the likes of Dempsey to do that job more than adequately.

All in all Im actually really positive right now.

No way will Dembele be further forward than Sigg! No way.

DM: Sandro, Parker
CM: Demeble, Livermore (sick in mouth)
AM: Dempsey, Sigg

That's okay, if Livermore was swapped with THudd I'd be a little happier.

My big worry is wing.

We have Lennon, Bale and Townsend. Townsend is massively untested in the league and is a huge risk. Yes Dempsey and maybe at a push Sigg and Demebele can play there; but then that takes away from central positions. I'm a big believer in having 2 players for each position and we're missing some crucial players for that. Same with left back. Naughton can play there but he's a right back and then what about right back cover. Yes Verthongen can play there but I want him CB.

No way will Dembele be further forward than Sigg! No way.

DM: Sandro, Parker
CM: Demeble, Livermore (sick in mouth)
AM: Dempsey, Sigg

That's okay, if Livermore was swapped with THudd I'd be a little happier.

My big worry is wing.

We have Lennon, Bale and Townsend. Townsend is massively untested in the league and is a huge risk. Yes Dempsey and maybe at a push Sigg and Demebele can play there; but then that takes away from central positions. I'm a big believer in having 2 players for each position and we're missing some crucial players for that. Same with left back. Naughton can play there but he's a right back and then what about right back cover. Yes Verthongen can play there but I want him CB.

Very much agree with this post. Actually I am happy with our options at left-midfield, because Bale is unlikely to ever be rotated (unless he needs a rest or we're winning comfortably) and I would actually like to see Townsend get some more game-time for us.

It's our right-midfield that worries me, because we have no natural cover there and I hate seeing players being put into positions that don't get the best out of them.

I also worry a little that we don't have much creativity in 'the hole' now, in terms of players who can produce defence-splitting passes. It seems that Sigurdsson might have some ability in that respect, but none of our other attacking players do IMO (Adebayor, Defoe, Bale, Townsend, Lennon and Dempsey). We might well miss Modric, Van der Vaart and (to a lesser extent) Kranjcar.

Concerned by the current tactics from AVB, which seems to involve bypassing our two sitting midfielders for any attack and either a) Lumping it to Defoe in the hope he gets a lucky break from the defender or b) Taking it to the wing; problem with that being our midfield is too slow to get into the box to offer attacking options

This seems to be us at the moment, with too big a gap between the DM and attacking 3 M

-----------------Friedel----------------
Walker---Gallas-------Vert-------BAE
---------Sandro-----Livermore-------

Lennon--------Sig'---------------Bale
-------------Defoe--------------------

I want to see this:

---------- Parker
---- Dembele -- Sig
Dempsey -- Ade -- Bale

Or this:

--- Dembele Sandro
Dempsey - Sig - Bale
---------- Ade

Still Optimistic Thread

I'm actually still pretty optimistic about this season.

In terms of the squad: AVB's made-over the squad about 80% of what he wanted (clearly he wanted Moutinho and Leandro as the final two pieces, but 6 out of 8 isn't bad). We've shipped a lot of deadwood, high wage players and players that were never going to fit his system. IMO Jenas, Bentley, Defoe and Gomes are the only deadwood we have left.

In terms of the team: I think we have an obvious starting 11 now when all are fit:

------------------Lloris

Walker------Kaboul----Vertonghen----BAE

--Sigurdsson-----Sandro-----Dembele

--Dempsey-----Adebayor------Bale

The things that stand out about that for me are:

- It's a big team - only BAE is under 6'
- It's a quick team - not one player there is a slouch
- It's a fit, hardworking and competitive team - all of them cover a lot of ground and there's a bit of bite
- It's technically pretty decent - everyone is comfortable in possession
- It's a young team - only Dempsey, Ade and BAE in their upper 20s
- There are few individuals - other than maybe Bale there aren't that many 'soloists'.

Yes there have been a lot of square pegs and odd set-ups so far, but AVB's been without a lot of key players. I think give him a few weeks to bed his new players in and get the above team (with Gallas in for Kaboul obviously) and system settled, and I think it'll suddenly click and we'll start shooting up the league.

With the way Liverpool and Arsenal are looking in comparison, I certainly think 4th is still ours for the taking.

Re: Still Optimistic Thread

Posted elsewhere that I still think we can get 4th for much the same logic as you.

Aside from Dembele and Adebayor obviously needing to start, I would hope to see Parker back asap. I rate Sandro highly however at the moment with Vert bedding in at the back, Gallas being awful and the next guy in line, Caulker, lacking experience then I then we need Parker shielding the back 4. If that means that Sandro only plays away game sin the near term when you can justify having two defensive mids and then playing someone else at home with Parker, then fine.

Agree about getting Dempsey into the team as well - need his energy and goal threat. However I would stick to 4-2-3-1 and play Dempsey in the middle of the 3 behind Adebayor. I dont think now is the time to try to switch to 4-3-3. Can so that when the players know each other and are settled

Posted elsewhere that I still think we can get 4th for much the same logic as you.

Aside from Dembele and Adebayor obviously needing to start, I would hope to see Parker back asap. I rate Sandro highly however at the moment with Vert bedding in at the back, Gallas being awful and the next guy in line, Caulker, lacking experience then I then we need Parker shielding the back 4. If that means that Sandro only plays away game sin the near term when you can justify having two defensive mids and then playing someone else at home with Parker, then fine.

Agree about getting Dempsey into the team as well - need his energy and goal threat. However I would stick to 4-2-3-1 and play Dempsey in the middle of the 3 behind Adebayor. I dont think now is the time to try to switch to 4-3-3. Can so that when the players know each other and are settled

What would you do in a 4-2-3-1 then, bring Lennon in for Sig?

I don't think 4-3-3 will be too big a shock for anyone except maybe Bale, as many have played it for their national teams or for their previous teams.

I like both setups anyway. At least 4-4-2 is finally dead and buried

--------------Lloris-----------------

Walker---Gallas---Vertonghen---BAE

----------Parker--Dembele---------

Lennon-------Dempsey---------Bale

----------------Ade----------------

That's how I'd start next match if Parker is fit. I love Sandro but he hasn't looked himself these first games and we need parkers mentality now. Get the team winning again and get the feelgood factor going, and gradually get Sandro back in.

--------------Lloris-----------------

Walker---Gallas---Vertonghen---BAE

----------Parker--Dembele---------

Lennon-------Dempsey---------Bale

----------------Ade----------------

That's how I'd start next match if Parker is fit. I love Sandro but he hasn't looked himself these first games and we need parkers mentality now. Get the team winning again and get the feelgood factor going, and gradually get Sandro back in.

He may be fit, he won't be match fit though. Reckon Parker would be bought on at 60-80 minutes depending how we are doing.

Im always optimistic, always have been too much sometimes...

I feel we will be fine and AVB will go on to be a superb Spurs manager

Next game I'd go

Friedel/Lloris

Walker
Gallas/Caulker
Vertonghen
Ekotto

Sandro
Carroll
Dembele

Dempsey