• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

AVB & Spurs Tactics and Formations discussion thread

Re: R.i.p 4-2-3-1

The wide forwards won't be spending a lot of time out wide. That's the job for the FBs. The WFs are there to support the striker.

Here are some options for a 4-3-3 formation:

2i76.jpg

0dm3.jpg

edja.jpg

v4ke.jpg

ABB - is that an ITK clue (in the rABBit...

Alderweireld
Benteke
Bernard

Our other three signings? Those would do me.

Looks very good but they won't be playing a lot of tiki taka. Battering teams into submission is more likely.

I'd love us to sign a ball playing midfielder too as an option.

Did you watch any of AVB's Porto team? They didn't play tiki taka they over ran teams.

I like the team posted above BTW but I think it's more likely still that Bernard won't be in the side. I do think we'll seal the deal for Damiao and I think if Villa comes it will be to play left of a front 3 as he did for Barca. I think we'd sell BAE and Rose and bring in an over lapping left back with a lot of stamina.

I like the team posted above BTW but I think it's more likely still that Bernard won't be in the side. I do think we'll seal the deal for Damiao and I think if Villa comes it will be to play left of a front 3 as he did for Barca. I think we'd sell BAE and Rose and bring in an over lapping left back with a lot of stamina.

Alvaro Pereira maybe?

Like Rose maybe?

I don't think we'll necessarily see the end of 4-2-3-1 just because Paulinho is brought in.

AVB has shown himself to be quite flexible tactically, we changed between 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3 looking formations towards the end of last season and we've seen him wanting to play Ade and Defoe together at times too.

I think both Paulinho and Dembele can be pushed up into a more attacking role changing to a 4-2-3-1 even if we start in a 4-3-3 and we will suffer injuries.

Will certainly be interesting to see what AVB figures out as the best way forward. If we are going to move to a 4-3-3 I think we need another winger/inside forward in addition to a central midfielder (Paulinho perhaps). And that is in addition to a new striker.

Could this work?

I wish!!

--------------------Lioris---------------
-------Kaboul------Vert----Dawson---
---------Paulinho--Thudd--Sandro--------
--Lennon-------Dembele--------Bale
-----------------Negredo--------------

If Paulinho and Sandro stay defensive (covering full back positions) it may work but I wouldn't risk it. Plus you'd have Vert the left side of the centre backs so he can cut out the left and have Dawson in the middle. Paulinho plays deep for Brazil so he can cover for Alves when he attacks, Sandro would cut out the left. We know Lennon has unbelievable workrate when it comes to defending so I'd be confident down that side but I think we'd get raped down the left.

Could this work?

I wish!!

--------------------Lioris---------------
-------Kaboul------Vert----Dawson---
---------Paulinho--Thudd--Sandro--------
--Lennon-------Dembele--------Bale
-----------------Negredo--------------

It could work, if we hired Marcelo Bielsa as our manager and signed a couple more players to fit that kind of system. Not going to happen, not under AVB, no reason to try it either.

Dawson as the left centre back in a back 3 would be suicidal by the way. His biggest weakness is when exposed one on one defensively against good dribblers and that's almost by definition one of the things the (wide) centre backs in a back 3 must be good at as they will be forced to cover wide areas a lot more often than the two centre backs in a traditional back 4.

We would also struggle for goals as Dembele doesn't score enough, or at least he never has done in the PL so far.

So this potential midfield 3 seems like the perfect blend to me for a 4-3-3

Sandro - sits deep in front of defence does simple things well breaks up play.....our anchor in midfield.
Paulhinho - box to box - more inclined for attacking but will help out at the back - great on the ball good passing and finding players early
Demeble - skilled dribbler to drive team forward..... to get in around the front 3 and link things together - needs to add more goals to his game with that left foot.

I would be pretty excited about this midfield 3 but how many games can we get them all together - do we have like for like replacements?????

I don't think the 4-2-3-1 will die at all.........not until we get another season or two out of avb moulding the squad how he wants. however I do think we will see more of the 4-3-3 next season and more and more depending on how long avb is with us.

Kyle walker is perfect for 4-3-3 role at rb but I don't think benny is - unsure about rose....

Looks like Parker, hudd's days are numbered and I don't think Dawson can survive in such a high octane/pressing style of play. He is just to slow but still useful for games when a physical presence is required.

I would be pretty excited about this midfield 3 but how many games can we get them all together - do we have like for like replacements?????

I don't think like for like replacements should be the goal. It's about options.

We know from this season that Dembele and Sandro deep in a 4-2-3-1 with Bale ahead of them can be amazing. If Paulinho is as good as he's reported as being and the kind of player he's reported to be then I think he could replace either of those in that 4-2-3-1 and we would still have a very good central (and attacking) midfield. That means any injury to any of those 3 (Dembele, Sandro, Paulinho) and we wouldn't have any reason to worry, if we play a 4-2-3-1 at the very least.

If one of those 3 is out we would also have the option of bringing in Holtby, Carroll or Sig into the central trio in a 4-3-3 (possibly also Hudd, Parker or Livermore depending on who leaves). I think Holtby will step it up next season and I even think that against some (smaller) teams there's a chance that the quick passing of Holtby will do more for us than the athleticism of Paulinho, Dembele and Sandro combined. Again, options.

What we do know with some confidence is that defensively we will be fine with a midfield trio containing two out of Sandro, Paulinho and Dembele along with someone like Holtby or Carroll. And I don't really see a reason why it wouldn't work going forward either.

That to me is the kind of cover we should have in a squad. Not like for like replacements that will almost certainly be worse than the first choice players at a club our size.

Back