• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

AVB & Spurs Tactics and Formations discussion thread

4-3-3 Defensively

There's a lot of talk on here about how we would set up in a 4-3-3, but that's mostly in terms of personnel and what our shape would be going forward. What to people envisage our defensive shape being, particularly when pressing less? The three midfielders shifting across the pitch as necessary with the 'wide forwards' not tracking their full-backs? Or more of a 4-5-1, with one of the CMs sitting in between two banks of four?

Re: 4-3-3 Defensively

Haha too dry? Am I the only one that thinks this is an important and interesting question!?

It will depend on the opposition and the match situation. Both will be used, not unlike how 4-4-2/4-4-1-1 formations effectively change to 4-5-1 when defending organized quite often and 4-2-3-1 can become 4-5-1 when defending, but it can also become a more 4-3-3 or even some wonky looking 4-4-2 when defending.

Very few teams actively set out to leave several players up front when defending organized apart from when pressing very high up the pitch of course. Napoli is one exception I can think of, they would somewhat regularly defend in Europe at least leaving Cavani, Hamsik and Lavezzi (wasn't it?) up front. Puts massive requirements on the central players though when you're up against good sides though. They defended in a (to me) somewhat wacky looking 5-2-3 with wing backs, obviously not something we'll be doing.

We would be a lot more conservative I believe.

It will depend on the opposition and the match situation. Both will be used, not unlike how 4-4-2/4-4-1-1 formations effectively change to 4-5-1 when defending organized quite often and 4-2-3-1 can become 4-5-1 when defending, but it can also become a more 4-3-3 or even some wonky looking 4-4-2 when defending.

Very few teams actively set out to leave several players up front when defending organized apart from when pressing very high up the pitch of course. Napoli is one exception I can think of, they would somewhat regularly defend in Europe at least leaving Cavani, Hamsik and Lavezzi (wasn't it?) up front. Puts massive requirements on the central players though when you're up against good sides though. They defended in a (to me) somewhat wacky looking 5-2-3 with wing backs, obviously not something we'll be doing.

We would be a lot more conservative I believe.

Yeah I remember being amazed by Napoli's setup! It seemed like their two central midfielders did the job of an entire bank of four....

R.i.p 4-2-3-1

With the probable Paulinho signing it looks like we're going to be saying good bye to the 4-2-3-1 formation we used last season. How do people feel about this?

Re: R.i.p 4-2-3-1

Depends how the front 3 function and what their composition is. Playing inside forwards would mean the full backs have to be really involved. Kyle can do it well as long as he improves his final ball. Benny I am not sure about. Rose wants to go back to Sunderland according to Michael Bridge. Naughton is good cover at left back.

With the forwards I honestly think that Villa would be awesome to go with Bale and Townsend. Andros troubled the best teams in the league last season, assisted and scored goals. He can really be a big player for us going forward. Mark my words.

The big issue is the plan B when the 433 doesn't work. How will we change it up mid game....

I like this team posted on SC

JSMZlX1.jpg

To be honest I never considered our team to be 4231 anyway(more like 4411). I think the only team in the league who play a genuine 4231 is Chelsea.

JSMZlX1.jpg

Yeah - I'd go for that. Any 2 from 3 between Bernard, Villa and Leandro will do for the final two positions.

And

--Dempsey---Ade---Lennon

--Siggy---Holtby---Carroll

Rose-Caulker-Dawson-Naughton

---------Friedel

is a top 10 side itself.

Depends how the front 3 function and what their composition is. Playing inside forwards would mean the full backs have to be really involved. Kyle can do it well as long as he improves his final ball. Benny I am not sure about. Rose wants to go back to Sunderland according to Michael Bridge. Naughton is good cover at left back.

With the forwards I honestly think that Villa would be awesome to go with Bale and Townsend. Andros troubled the best teams in the league last season, assisted and scored goals. He can really be a big player for us going forward. Mark my words.

The big issue is the plan B when the 433 doesn't work. How will we change it up mid game....

AVB's standard switch at Porto was to bring off a wide player (say Bernard in the formation above), bring on another CM (say Holtby or Siggy) and actually go 4-4-2. The idea being to go more solid and possession the opponents to submissions.

To be honest I never considered our team to be 4231 anyway(more like 4411). I think the only team in the league who play a genuine 4231 is Chelsea.

You have a point tbh and i also thought for the most part it was 4-4-1-1. There were times though where it definitely looked more like a 4-2-3-1 though (when Dempsey would be really high up).

I think it's a hybrid of a 4-2-3-1 and a 4-4-1-1 last season. Dempsey/Sig would be in an attacking position that you would consider a 4-2-3-1 but lennon on the other side would be a bit deeper in an RM position (4-4-1-1).

I don't trust bale 100% in that position tbh and i'm not sure that's his best position. Granted he scored goals coming from that position but to play him in that role conistently? ummmmm not sure.

Where would you play him? In a 433 I mean.

Where would you play him? In a 433 I mean.

I would hope AVB implements his Porto 4-3-3 and plays Bale in the 'Hulk' role. Hulk played just off the striker and i would hope Bale does the same (which is why Rose will probably be a starter to offer width on the left when Bale comes in field).

I would hope AVB implements his Porto 4-3-3 and plays Bale in the 'Hulk' role. Hulk played just off the striker and i would hope Bale does the same (which is why Rose will probably be a starter to offer width on the left when Bale comes in field).

Hulk's position is the same as where Bale is in the above formation.

Ah ok i see what you're saying..it's the same side? well yes it is but it could be easily done on the opposite side.

If he was on the left then of course he'd still score a nice amount but I wouldn't expect him to hit the same kind of numbers he has lately. Right or central would give the optimum return in terms of goals.

JSMZlX1.jpg

Looks very good but they won't be playing a lot of tiki taka. Battering teams into submission is more likely.

I'd love us to sign a ball playing midfielder too as an option.

Last edited:
Back