• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Atmosphere at last night's game

jimmyb

Milija Aleksic
Best in a long while.

Not especially loud, perhaps, because it lacked the intensity of a big derby or a big Champions League game. But it was consistent throughout. Plenty of songs. Very few extended periods of silence.

A long awaited return to form for the Park Lane.

Now let's see if we can do it for league games, when all the season ticket holders are back.

One other thing - so glad that we (players and fans) didn't overdo the whole Muamba thing. We're all delighted that he is doing so well in his recovery and the best way to honour him and those who saved him was to treat the game like a proper cup tie and not a testimonial game.

Agreed, we often start off pretty well but it goes a bit quiet when we start missing chances and people start getting nervous. Didn't fall into that trap last night and kept the chanting going throughout, good stuff. I loved it when the first goal went in, such a rush of relief and joy, and we barely had time to settle down from that when the second one went in :)

You're right too, let's see if we can keep it going for the Swansea match. We want the players to step up and go on a good run to the end of the season, so the fans should be doing the same thing. COYS!

i think we will have no problem getting behind the boys until the end of the season....

to potentially finish above chelsea in 4th would still be an imense effort and achievement for us...

and another day out at wembley

turning out to be a great season overall

COYS

A trip to Wembley (even if the Semis should 100% NO WAY be played there...) brings out that kind of atmos at The Lane, we have too many good songs for it :D

Best in a long while.

Not especially loud, perhaps, because it lacked the intensity of a big derby or a big Champions League game. But it was consistent throughout. Plenty of songs. Very few extended periods of silence.

A long awaited return to form for the Park Lane.

Now let's see if we can do it for league games, when all the season ticket holders are back.

...I was one of their number! (co-incidence???) went to Stoke and the atmosphere was GHod awful, so maybe we were due a bit of noise!

Thought support was excellent especially as everyone obviously had to be frustrated not getting the breakthrough, you could tell the crowd picked the players up almost as if assuring them the breakthrough would come

One thing though we have the best Wembley song going..(Spurs are on their way to Wembley) why do the crowd prefer to sing those Que Sera Sera and Wemberley songs which almost everyone else sings as well

One thing though we have the best Wembley song going..(Spurs are on their way to Wembley) why do the crowd prefer to sing those Que Sera Sera and Wemberley songs which almost everyone else sings as well

The Chas and Dave song is fantastic and unique. But "Que sera, sera..." is great too. And we don't often get a chance to sing it.

Probably the most awesome level of support I've ever experienced at a football match in England was the nigh on ten minute, non stop "Que sera, sera...." at 4-1 up in the 2008 Carling Cup semi against Arsenal. Everyone in the stadium was on their feet, singing. Only stopped when Steed scored our fifth with virtually the last kick of the game.

The Chas and Dave song is fantastic and unique. But "Que sera, sera..." is great too. And we don't often get a chance to sing it.

Probably the most awesome level of support I've ever experienced at a football match in England was the nigh on ten minute, non stop "Que sera, sera...." at 4-1 up in the 2008 Carling Cup semi against Arsenal. Everyone in the stadium was on their feet, singing. Only stopped when Steed scored our fifth with virtually the last kick of the game.

That was amazing!!! I don't hate the Que Sera song at all but everyone does that. the Chas & Dave one is just awesome probably my fav song of all!

That was amazing!!! I don't hate the Que Sera song at all but everyone does that. the Chas & Dave one is just awesome probably my fav song of all!

There's room for both!

Certainly, "Spurs are on their way to Wembley..." got regular airings last night.

I was there last night and i have to say the ledley he only has one knee is my favourite chant, i wonder what king thinks to it, if he takes it the right way.

Going to the semi as well, fudges knows why as i have been to 3 lost them all, everton, arsenal and pompey. So i apologise in advance.

I was there last night and i have to say the ledley he only has one knee is my favourite chant, i wonder what king thinks to it, if he takes it the right way.

Going to the semi as well, fudges knows why as i have been to 3 lost them all, everton, arsenal and pompey. So i apologise in advance.

I can trump that. Of our string of semi final losses, I was at Wembley in 1993; Old Trafford in 1999 and 2001; and Wembley again in 2010. Only one I missed was Everton in 1995, because I couldn't get away from work.

To be honest, there can't be many Spurs fans who regularly attend games who HAVEN'T seen us lose at least one FA Cup semi final over the past twenty years.

I can trump that. Of our string of semi final losses, I was at Wembley in 1993; Old Trafford in 1999 and 2001; and Wembley again in 2010. Only one I missed was Everton in 1995, because I couldn't get away from work.

To be honest, there can't be many Spurs fans who regularly attend games who HAVEN'T seen us lose at least one FA Cup semi final over the past twenty years.

I remember being at selhurst for a league cup semi, was there with the wife, we won and i ran on the pitch with a load of others and got split up from here, she was so tinkled, this is a time before mobile phones for our younger posters. We divorced not long after that.

I remember being at selhurst for a league cup semi, was there with the wife, we won and i ran on the pitch with a load of others and got split up from here, she was so tinkled, this is a time before mobile phones for our younger posters. We divorced not long after that.

Ha!

Yep. Worthington Cup semi against Wimbledon in 99. 15,000+ Spurs fans in a 25K crowd, making a hell of a racket. I was there too. But being a good boy, in the Whitehorse Lane end instead of holding Steffen Iversen aloft on the pitch!

I remember the fans singing "We got our Tottenham back" that night. Not quite. Took another ten years or so.

If we include all semi finals since 1991*, I've seen us lose 6:

1992 Notts Forest
1993 Arsenal
1995 Everton
1999 Saudi Sportswashing Machine
2001 Arsenal
2007 Arsenal

The only one I missed was Pompey in 2010. Cricky, that is 7 semi final defeats for us in 20 years. Just under 1 every 3 seasons. Happily, I've seen a few wins over that time too!

* I was about 20 deep in the queue for this before it sold out. Anyone remember those queue for both Arsenal semi finals? They were something else. I think I joined the latter one somewhere down Northumberland Park road, near the junction with the High Road :lol: I'm thankful for the internet now but at the same time, the queueing process, often overnight, was a proper test of dedication!

Last edited:

Sorry to say I was at all of those!

I think it's payback for the joy I experienced at the Gazza semi in 91.

Not sure whether to come back for this one or not, I live abroad and share a season ticket with my brother, the stipulation was that I get to go to semi finals and finals but he'll obviuosly get 80-90% of league games. I feel a bit bad taking the semi ticket tbh, and flights are bloody expensive at the minute!

Our atmosphere's been fudging shocking this season. You get the whole fudging ground clapping through 'Oh When The Spurs', but only about 25% of people sing, because it's otherwise 'embarrassing' if you're the only person in your block singing. The only stand that sings is Park Lane and it's unbelievably annoying. It was only good last night because it was a mid-week game, and it was a quarter-final of the FA Cup which enticed us to sing our Wembley songs

i'm no statistician or expert in this field, but I have a feeling that atmosphere is directly connected to fans' expectation... hear me out;

If you go into a ground, possibly not expecting much out of the game (results wise) you get two things; a 'nothing to lose' mentality - which is always evident when a team is mid-thumping, 5-0 down and the fans inexplicably go mental with some 10-minute non-stop singing "we're gonna win 6-5 etc" it's 'cos they couldn't care less, all hope is lost, so you may as well sing your nut off and at least get SOMETHING out of the experience... the other thing to aid an atmosphere when expectation is low, is that if and when you DO score... or even WIN, the mixture of surprise, elation and sheer shock value crank up the 'against all odds' nature of the crowd...
This is where we were as a club for quite a while...

skip to a club who has now sampled some success... their fans turn up EXPECTING a win... and as such, the first goal they score isn't greeted with such jubilation, it's more a case of "yeah yeah, 1-0, whatever, now for the next 5 goals to slake our thirst!... HOWEVER if a goal is CONCEDED, then the rumblings of discontent start much earlier 'cos of the expectation level of the crowd... why else have Old Trafford and The Emirates been such fudging morgues??? The fans EXPECT the win, so no victory surprises them, it's surprise that gauges a reaction... however a defeat or even a draw is met with a chorus of dissatisfied 'boos'... and that fudging ruins ANY hope of motivating your team.

We need to make sure we don't let the expectation at Spurs outweigh the reality... I NEVER go into a game EXPECTING a win... how dare we! A win is ALWAYS welcome, don't get me wrong... but we need to earn the right to win a game, not just turn up, waltz around for 90mins, then moan and bitch when the other team somehow appears to have more of a will to win than we do... the mood that is generated by the crowd DOES affect the Players... a buzz of excitement is always better at creating an atmosphere than the subdued nature of expectation... excitement is created by fear... fear that we MIGHT not win, so that when we do, the release of joy is tangible!

I think i'll go and write a thesis on the subject now!!

i'm no statistician or expert in this field, but I have a feeling that atmosphere is directly connected to fans' expectation... hear me out;

If you go into a ground, possibly not expecting much out of the game (results wise) you get two things; a 'nothing to lose' mentality - which is always evident when a team is mid-thumping, 5-0 down and the fans inexplicably go mental with some 10-minute non-stop singing "we're gonna win 6-5 etc" it's 'cos they couldn't care less, all hope is lost, so you may as well sing your nut off and at least get SOMETHING out of the experience... the other thing to aid an atmosphere when expectation is low, is that if and when you DO score... or even WIN, the mixture of surprise, elation and sheer shock value crank up the 'against all odds' nature of the crowd...
This is where we were as a club for quite a while...

skip to a club who has now sampled some success... their fans turn up EXPECTING a win... and as such, the first goal they score isn't greeted with such jubilation, it's more a case of "yeah yeah, 1-0, whatever, now for the next 5 goals to slake our thirst!... HOWEVER if a goal is CONCEDED, then the rumblings of discontent start much earlier 'cos of the expectation level of the crowd... why else have Old Trafford and The Emirates been such fudging morgues??? The fans EXPECT the win, so no victory surprises them, it's surprise that gauges a reaction... however a defeat or even a draw is met with a chorus of dissatisfied 'boos'... and that fudging ruins ANY hope of motivating your team.

We need to make sure we don't let the expectation at Spurs outweigh the reality... I NEVER go into a game EXPECTING a win... how dare we! A win is ALWAYS welcome, don't get me wrong... but we need to earn the right to win a game, not just turn up, waltz around for 90mins, then moan and bitch when the other team somehow appears to have more of a will to win than we do... the mood that is generated by the crowd DOES affect the Players... a buzz of excitement is always better at creating an atmosphere than the subdued nature of expectation... excitement is created by fear... fear that we MIGHT not win, so that when we do, the release of joy is tangible!

I think i'll go and write a thesis on the subject now!!

Good post. Very much how I see things too

Back