• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Assou-Ekotto

To the Benny that was a integral part of our team for some time .. good luck

Hope you sort out your brick mate .

Why? Because he's terminated a legally binding contract in the search for regular, first-team football?

No, for inviting an anti semite to the stadium. Amongst other things. The guy is a waste of space who right now is stealing a living.

He should've left a long time ago, to be fair. Wonder what happened - he was a good footballer on his day and a refreshingly different character. He really should've been a WHL cult legend.

No need for the stupid tweet. He could have terminated his contract ages ago but decide to stay on the wage bill.

Good luck to him. People go too far, the way people are swearing and cursing at him now is ridiculous. He and Ade have been getting it for a while now, without people knowing the genuine truth. Mob rule.

The culture around football fans is still very archaic. You don't talk to people like that in your everyday life so why is it ok to abuse someone because you heard they did or said something. Just because they are famous or rich.

The booing of Ade really does pi%s me off. I genuinely hate football fans at times

No need for the stupid tweet. He could have terminated his contract ages ago but decide to stay on the wage bill.

It takes both parties to agree to terminate a contract. Maybe we still hoped to find someone who would pay a nominal fee for him.

Good luck to him. People go too far, the way people are swearing and cursing at him now is ridiculous. He and Ade have been getting it for a while now, without people knowing the genuine truth. Mob rule.

The culture around football fans is still very archaic. You don't talk to people like that in your everyday life so why is it ok to abuse someone because you heard they did or said something. Just because they are famous or rich.

The booing of Ade really does pi%s me off. I genuinely hate football fans at times

I agree.

He was with us since 2006. He and Lennon were our longest serving players.

Now it's Kaboul (2007) along with Danny Rose (2007)
Ryan Mason (2008)
Tom Carroll (2008)
Kyle Walker (2009)
Andros Townsend (2009)
Harry Kane (2009)
Ade and Freidel (2011)

To be honest those youth players have been with the club for a lot longer.

the official statement is that he has been released. Im sure prior to this window that we tried to move him on for a nominal fee or even a free to get his wages off the books. But either other teams did not want him or could not afford him. Either way knowing Benny's attitude towards football as a job im sure he did not want to take a wage drop so sat out his contract.

With it not looking like he was going they have probably just paid off his remaining contract and let him leave. I did like Benny and hold no animosity towards him.

Well said.

I'm biased as I love all of the team that got us Champions League, but I've got a lot of time for Benoit. As someone else said his interview after the riots was great and also does brick loads of work for good causes.

No-one forced us to offer him a contract, he would have loved to play but was never picked - of course he's gonna be glad to finally move on.

Don't really see the problem.

Just to add, if you think back to how terrible he was when he first signed he had clearly worked hard to improve his game.

If he's on a free can he still sign for an English or French club? or is he screwed until the summer?

If he's on a free can he still sign for an English or French club? or is he screwed until the summer?

I'm pretty certain there's another, less talked about, window where clubs can sign players who are out of contract. There is a proviso for this which is that the player's contract must have been terminated prior to the transfer window closing....that last bit I got from reading 'Striker' :D

Not sure when it closes and can't find anything online but sure it's been discussed before (albeit my version of before could be 10 years ago!)

For all we know benny may have said a 18 months ago look pay me half my contract and i will leave. However as we have changed managers 3 times since then we tried to hold on to get a fee, he may then be feeling like he has been stopped from moving on with his life. For a while is looked ridiculous that we were paying him and were struggling without a left back and didnt use him. He didnt go on strike and run his contract down, i have no doubt if he had been recalled he would have been straight back.

All this he should just walk away and is stealing money is made by idiots!!!, the point of contracts is its a 2 way street.
The player is trying to protect himself due to lack of form or falling out of favour, the club to make sure they get a fee.

In real life if you were put on gardening leave for 1 year im sure that

A) The novelty would ware off
B) You wouldnt just say, dont bother paying me ill take a 50% pay cut elsewhere even if legally you could!

Benny is a strange one, i cant remember any player who has been frozen out of a club, but still went to so many games.

I never had anything against the guy. Seemed like a nice enough person, and I personally gave him the benefit of the doubt on the anti-semitic thing. It was idiotic of him, but I don't have any evidence that he was knowingly being an arsehole.

However, that "Freedom" thing? Sorry, but he's lost any respect I ever had for him with that. He could have walked out of his contract at any point, taken the hit on wages and found regular football elsewhere. No way would the club have blocked him. Instead he spent the best part of a year collecting a very large salary from the club that I love and then - once he'd pocketed a few million - implied that somehow he was being kept against his will.

Freedom indeed! The freedom to be a tosser, that's about it.

Been a bit of a prat the way he's left hasnt he? Freedom? He was being paid £40k per week for doing nothing and lets say there were 20 weeks left on his contract, 20 * 40k = £800k so we've probably paid him the majority of that given that it saves us a bit and he couldnt play for us and no-one was going to buy him

Always thought he was a good player and with a bit more dedication could have been a lot better. Wonder whether he'll retire now?

Back