• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Are you a geographical Spurs snob?

a Spurs supporter is a Spurs supporter regardless of where they are from IMV

i know people from N.Ireland that have Season Tickets and regularly come to WHL and people from Birmingham/Wolverhampton that have barely missed a game home/away/abroad in 20/30 years of supporting us through thick and thin just as i know plenty of London based supporters who i could a get ticket for 99% of the time but who rarely make the effort to ring and ask for one.

This, the amount of supporters from outside England that deal with odd hours for games, expensive tv packages to watch games (or horrible hour trips to pubs), cost of kit, flights to England, hotel and tickets. It's an easy argument to be made that the non London based fans work harder at it ...

But it's all BS either way, I have followed Spurs for 30 odd years, if you support Spurs, then you are one of us ...

The who's a "better" fan argument is for *******s and elitist, neither of which I want to associate with Spurs

Two things should determine who you support.
Locality and/or ideology. (Club image and ideals or family connections (personal ideology))
I think a "foreign fan ", is anyone that doesn't attend regularly (including me!) so misses some of the idiosyncrasies of regular games.

No better, no worse.

Just different - like any good family should be

Born in Yarmouth, moved to Canada when I was 10. My granddad supported the **** so I cheered for the club he hated most. I've been to one match - the NLD in 2007 (2-2, Jenas equalizer) - and it's in my top 5 life moments. I wish I could see every match - if I lived closer i would but I haven't missed a match on the TV in four years even going as far as booking time off work for Euro Thursdays.
Does that make me less of a supporter? Would you have that same commitment if we swapped spots?

The unasked question that probably lies behind this thread is this: are we gathering an ever larger TV/web-only audience, many of whom are likely to be 'glory-hunters'?

And I trust the responses on this thread have answered that question quite succintly. For what it's worth, I started supporting Tottenham at the very end of the 90's, during some of our ****piest years. Why on Earth would I, or any other sane person continue to put myself through that when so many more successful and often more easily accessible clubs were available for me (and most other kids my age in my city) to support? Why would I wake up at the oddest hours to watch matches, wear an old T-shirt no one in my neighborhood could associate with, get picked on in the schoolyard for being the only school supporter of a team like Spurs in the early and mid 2000's, and generally put myself through all the heartbreak that came with supporting Tottenham alone?

I grew older, but I could never get closer to the UK, and once I graduated from my university, I could never quite earn enough to justify making trips to WHL. Still can't, as a matter of fact. And now, as a bloody adult, I'm expected to deal with deadlines, decisions, business travel at GHod-awful hours, the rent, the endless bills, and a whole lot more. Yet I still wake up at strange hours to watch matches. Still head down to my local sports bar when I can to catch the game with the few other bloody-minded individuals who share the same team I do. Still get moody and despondent when we fail. Still tear up when we eke achievements out of the hard fabric football throws at us. Still laugh when Arsenal **** up somewhere. Still swear when Chelski do something reprehensible, like they usually do.

I'm fairly certain that I will probably never be a regular visitor to WHL, to London, or even to the UK. I live in straitened times, with straitened means, and until that changes I will be a weary business traveler who has a small home in Canada he will likely not move out of for a long, long time to come.

Yet for some strange reason, the travails and tensions of eleven men on a grass field some 4000 miles away, across raging oceans, icy poles and vast continents, still moves me in a way that few other experiences in life can. The actions of entities I have no control over and have never directly associated with can still move me to tears, or make me run down the street in joy, or make me want to drown myself in my pint. Why is that?

I suspect it is the same reason Storky reserves time off on Euro Thursdays. The same reason Raziel deals with horribly odd hours. The same reason El Guepardo supports the team from far away. The same reason par_18 gets up at 4am on weekdays. The same reason tommysvr even contemplates spending five thousand dollars to watch ninety bloody minutes of twenty two wealthy men punting a ball around a grass rectangle in a run-down district on most probably a grey, overcast day.

That reason unites us all, no matter where we come from, what we do, who we are or what we can afford.

We are Spurs. We will be here when players come, and players go. We will be here when the stadium goes up, and we will probably be here when Abramovich leaves and Chelsea go down. We will be here when Spurs slip into oblivion, and we will be here on that glorious, sunny day when a Spurs player lifts the Premier League trophy in triumph. We will be here. Always, wherever we may be.

All of us.

Last edited:
The unasked question that probably lies behind this thread is this: are we gathering an ever larger TV/web-only audience, many of whom are likely to be 'glory-hunters'?

And I trust the responses on this thread have answered that question quite succintly. For what it's worth, I started supporting Tottenham at the very end of the 90's, during some of our ****piest years. Why on Earth would I, or any other sane person continue to put myself through that when so many more successful and often more easily accessible clubs were available for me (and most other kids my age in my city) to support? Why would I wake up at the oddest hours to watch matches, wear an old T-shirt no one in my neighborhood could associate with, get picked on in the schoolyard for being the only school supporter of a team like Spurs in the early and mid 2000's, and generally put myself through all the heartbreak that came with supporting Tottenham alone?

I grew older, but I could never get closer to the UK, and once I graduated from my university, I could never quite earn enough to justify making trips to WHL. Still can't, as a matter of fact. And now, as a bloody adult, I'm expected to deal with deadlines, decisions, business travel at GHod-awful hours, the rent, the endless bills, and a whole lot more. Yet I still wake up at strange hours to watch matches. Still head down to my local sports bar when I can to catch the game with the few other bloody-minded individuals who share the same team I do. Still get moody and despondent when we fail. Still tear up when we eke achievements out of the hard fabric football throws at us. Still laugh when Arsenal **** up somewhere. Still swear when Chelski do something reprehensible, like they usually do.

I'm fairly certain that I will probably never be a regular visitor to WHL, to London, or even to the UK. I live in straitened times, with straitened means, and until that changes I will be a weary business traveler who has a small home in Canada he will likely not move out of for a long, long time to come.

Yet for some strange reason, the travails and tensions of eleven men on a grass field some 4000 miles away, across raging oceans, icy poles and vast continents, still moves me in a way that few other experiences in life can. The actions of entities I have no control over and have never directly associated with can still move me to tears, or make me run down the street in joy, or make me want to drown myself in my pint. Why is that?

I suspect it is the same reason Storky reserves time off on Euro Thursdays. The same reason Raziel deals with horribly odd hours. The same reason El Guepardo supports the team from far away. The same reason par_18 gets up at 4am on weekdays. The same reason tommysvr even contemplates spending five thousand dollars to watch ninety bloody minutes of twenty two wealthy men punting a ball around a grass rectangle in a run-down district on most probably a grey, overcast day.

That reason unites us all, no matter where we come from, what we do, who we are or what we can afford.

We are Spurs. We will be here when players come, and players go. We will be here when the stadium goes up, and we will probably be here when Abramovich leaves and Chelsea go down. We will be here when Spurs slip into oblivion, and we will be here on that glorious, sunny day when a Spurs player lifts the Premier League trophy in triumph. We will be here. Always, wherever we may be.

All of us.

Absolutely bloody ridiculously unbelievably brilliant post.

DubaiSpur - just brilliant!
Far East of Russia - sleepless nights, and you know only 2-3 other Spurs fans and waiting for 2-3 month for official merchandise and last season you had almost fight with 20 MU gloryhunters after 1-1 draw (Dempsy goal!) (guards calmed down fighting)...priceless))

For me, two points:

If you show up at WHL for a game, be prepared to contribute to the atmosphere. I've been about 10-15 times in my life, every time spending £200-500 on travelling and hotel expenses coming over from Norway, and every time I'm buzzing. And every time I sing my heart out (at least to the songs I know!) and shout (moderate) abuse at poor refereeing decisions/opponents diving. I stand up, I sit down, and I hug random strangers in complete joy after we score an important goal. I can never be Tottenham born and bred, but when I'm at the Lane, I try my best to make the place rock. And as long as whoever fan from whatever country does the same, I'm fine with them being there.

Secondly, if you wake up at 4am in the morning to go to the pub and watch a game, if you shout abuse at the referee or the opposition players hundreds of miles away, if you sing Yid army until your throat and ears hurt, if you hug random strangers when Spurs score - still hundreds of miles away, if you applaud substitutions, and if you come home to your wife/girlfriend/husband at 7am in the morning, drunk and miserable after another game lost...well, you might not be Tottenham born and bred, but you do give a lot to have Spurs in your life, and for me, that makes you a proper fan.

That said: I do think it's important that Spurs doesn't lose track of it's history and origins. The club does come from Tottenham after all, and I would hope that we stay there, and that there will always be a proportion of the fans on matchdays that either live or lived in the area, or have relatives originating from Tottenham.

I'm from Belfast and I'm a Spuraholic. I've supported Spurs since 1970. Probably something to do with Big Pat. I get over to the Lane about 8 times a year. I was at the Norwich game, up at 4.30 am for the flight. Had a great weekend. My head is still busting! Hangover hell. Erdingers in Hammy Hall, Bud after the match in a bar/cafe place near WHL station, on the way back to the train, laughing at Chelsea getting chinned. Costs me a fortune every season. I've always been made welcome by my fellow born and bred North London Spurs. Even to the extent of "You're from Belfast! Have a pint mate!", when they hear my accent.

I have a season ticket for my local club and a block booking for Northern Ireland internationals, but they just keep me going until I get back to the Lane. I'm due to be over again for Saudi Sportswashing Machine and Man Utd. I'm also trying to work a way to do Everton away and Sheriff at home.

I have enough LP's to get to some away games on my own merit. They got me into Wembley and QPR away last year. I don't feel like I'm depriving a local of a seat by going.

Local football in N Ireland is of about League 2 standard, so there is plenty of interest in the EPL. N Ireland is full of glory hunting Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal fans, probably in that order. Plus massive Rangers and Celtic support.

I am proud to be Spurs!

Interesting thread. I have been a Spurs fan as long as I can remember. Growing up in Watford in the 70s the main teams then were Liverpool, Arsenal, some Man U, the very occasional Chelsea fan and Spurs, plus a goodly number of Watford fans. Watford at the time were making their name climbing the leagues, and playing the long ball hoof game perfected by Graham Taylor. The playground question... who do you support was always answered by me with 'Spurs'.

My grandfather was the influence... he lived in Edmonton, and he and Gran always followed the local side. My dad wasn't a massive Spurs fan (although he didn't miss a home game in the seasons 1951 to 1953 when he used to 'pop down on his bike' on a Saturday, and he would now rather watch rugby... so I guess that makes me a fan as a result of nurture. But I still consider my self a proper fan as I went when I could in the 80s (when tickets were available on the day and my mum wasn't having a fit about potential crowd trouble) and have been as often as I can since.

I guess I pass JGL's test of fandom in that I paid a fortune to see us lose to the **** at Wembley 1 nil in the FA Cup semi final too. However, reading this thread has thrown me into a quandary. I have brought my two lads up well... they are both committed Spurs fans of 12 and 8, and they consider themselves proper Spurs fans by have never lived within 100 miles of WHL.

The game on Thursday presents one of the few opportunities I can get to take them to a game as kids get in for a tenner, and me for £30. So as a treat I said to the kids they could take a friend too.. so my daughter is coming with a 'Spurs' supporting friend from school and my son has a Spurs supporting mate from school too. So that's me and five kids, of which 3 have never been to WHL.
If I was a paid up Spurs snob, should I not bring them? Some of the posters here would not count them as proper fans I guess. I look at it as an opportunity to help cement our future. Hopefully I'll be driving home on Thursday night along the M4 with 2 confirmed fans and 3 new fans who will follow Spurs for life!

Last edited:
I'm from Norway myself, but have been a Spurs-fan longer than I've been other things in this life (became one when I was six, I'm almost 30 now). I don't get to as many matches as I would've liked (I usually get to go 1-2 times a season), and I don't have the same sense of "home" or belonging whenever I'm in the Tottenham area as I imagine local people have.

BUT! And here's the biggie, in my opinion. I sing my throat out everytime I'm at The Lane. I do my best to contribute to supporting the lads playing while at the stadium (and the pub, for that matter) and contributing to the overall atmosphere. I was once seated near Paxton on the East Stand (never again), and I was basically the only person around me singing - I heard a plethora of languages being spoken all around me, but none of these persons seemed to be interested in supporting the team. They were basically just there. Whenever I stood up to loudly protest a referee decision, I'd get people staring at me as if I was doing a crime (something that would obviously never happen in the Park Lane, for instance).

So, the problem, the way I see it, is not foreign fans, but tourists, who have little or no affinity to the club, and no interest in voicing their support during a match. If you get too many of those, the atmosphere will slowly die out (as we have seen on quite a few Premier League grounds now). That's where the problem lies, in my opinion. I can assure you, that although I am Norwegian, I will never ever walk home from a day at The Lane without having partially damaged my voice.

Just to clarify - I made no mention of competing for tickets and perhaps I should have been clearer in differentiating between pseudo support and actual support. WestBerkshire actually touched my particular gripe -those with no connection but just a fad (they probably follow other clubs equally too).

I think my way of thinking is probably nostalgic in the sense that growing up, the majority of suppport was for the two main local clubs (plus Liverpool... :D) so the arguments, the playground matches, etc were between both us and the gooners - there were not United, Chelsea, City fans. It is a global game now and a business so it's is financially something that needs to happen. The internet too has opened up many avenues to gain that interest (be it through forums like this or streaming footie). Maybe it's the nostalgia of the playground I miss...

Perhaps I should not have been so specific about the club but been more general (for my own safety! 8-[ )

Perhaps too it may be more apt for cities where there are less clubs and perhaps a stronger local identity and thus rivalry.

Would have liked some more opinions from those who have links to the area too (North London, Enfield, etc).

Hope I didn't offend anyone - not questioning your actual support but more so about what I've tried to explain above.

Nearest League team for me would be Ipswich or Colchester but I was brought up to enjoy football being played the way it is supposed to be played so it was Spurs for me and has been since the mid 70s.

Just to clarify - I made no mention of competing for tickets and perhaps I should have been clearer in differentiating between pseudo support and actual support. WestBerkshire actually touched my particular gripe -those with no connection but just a fad (they probably follow other clubs equally too).

I think my way of thinking is probably nostalgic in the sense that growing up, the majority of suppport was for the two main local clubs (plus Liverpool... :D) so the arguments, the playground matches, etc were between both us and the gooners - there were not United, Chelsea, City fans. It is a global game now and a business so it's is financially something that needs to happen. The internet too has opened up many avenues to gain that interest (be it through forums like this or streaming footie). Maybe it's the nostalgia of the playground I miss...

Perhaps I should not have been so specific about the club but been more general (for my own safety! 8-[ )

Perhaps too it may be more apt for cities where there are less clubs and perhaps a stronger local identity and thus rivalry.

Would have liked some more opinions from those who have links to the area too (North London, Enfield, etc).

Hope I didn't offend anyone - not questioning your actual support but more so about what I've tried to explain above.

If some people responded harshly, it's because it has come up before as the "who is a real fan" bs, nothing personal to you

Dubai Spur answered it best for those of us not from the UK, and I do still think the club has a local role to play and am happy we still do a lot of charity work and will hopefully contribute consistently to the area.

I look forward to the answers from the locals ...

Loved reading the posts in this thread, its brill that there are fans from all over the world who all come togther over a common bond and love of one thing - Tottenham Hotspur FC

Like West Berkshire I'm also North London born and bred, Crouch End to be exact, which is near enough equal in distance to both, White Hart Lane and the old squalid Library.

I'm old and were watching Spurs from the late sixties. The family and extended family were in those days close knit and generally split into the two camps, you were either a Gooner or Spurs. There were the odd Liverpool or Man Utd and West Ham fan but if you wanted to attend matches and watch your team on a regular basis , it had to be Spurs or the Goons.

My school mates and with my mates out on the street, it were much the same , in general you were Spurs or a Gooner. There would be matches on the school playing fields and on Sundays a meet up, at Priory Park or Sheperd's Hill Park for Spurs fans versus Arrse fans matches. Playing these games without shin pads were a risky affair and I remember on more than one occasion the games descending into a skirmish. Back then, the Goons were known for ugly football and we Spurs, were representative of how the beautiful game should be played. We Spurs fans prided ourselves on playing good football just like our heroes and we wanted to beat the Gooners in the Spurs style. We would display a fun passing game whilst they were win at all costs and they would take pride in their anti football rough house tactics.

Then, there were the football debates when friends and extend family came to visit . Nine times out of ten, these debates were Gooners versus Spurs and often vociferous too if the beer flowed. We were a far happier lot than the Gooners, or it just seemed that way to me .

I suppose my first experiences of Spurs fans beyond North London were at away games . I recall being at Nottingham Forest's City Ground in 1978 for the debuts of Ardiles and Villa and standing next to me were two blokes with strong West Country accents. Both were Bristol Rovers fans but had been so impressed by the Argentinean World Cup and in paticular Ossie's performances in it that they had decided to adopt Spurs as their second team. They also told me that Spurs were often the second choice in Bristol behind City and Rovers. I also recall many a time visiting Anfield and Old Trafford and getting to know some Yorkshire Spurs who'd often go to our northern games . But instances of supporting a team from afar in those days I suspect were probably less common than it is now. Alas, these are different times and if we wish to debate football with any other fan of any other team in our own league or any other , we can do so on the internet. ,We can also spend a whole day watching game after game on the internet, like I did this Saturday just gone. I vegetated in front of the screen, watching Man Utd v Palace , Spurs v Norwich , Everton v Chavs, Barcelona v Sevilla and Villareal v Madrid. Because of this access, youngsters are more likely to be far reaching in their support for a football team in addition to their supporting their local teams. Due to the screening of all the matches it's just more likely teams will have followers from afar and I don't have a problem with it and respect all the Spurs from around the world watching the games in their respective time zones. I know that we share the elation at the same moment give or take the slight variance of our streams and the sadness when we don't play well and suffer a loss. I l also loved watching the Asian support on our recent trip to the far east and I also want to see the Spurs popularity increase in North America so I happpily embrace the Spurs love from wherever it may be.

My only gripe with some of our fellow Spurs from afar and it's a small one at that , is that sometimes on the internet, some of them just don't understand our rivalry with the Gooners and the history that goes with it . Sometimes it gets my goatee up when they come out with comments such as , "I don't care if they finish above us so long as we finish top four" and on one or two occasions I've seen the NLD described as just another game and that they'd rather beat the Chavs or Man Utd. Don't get me wrong, I want to beat all of them but for a North London bloke supporting either Arrse or Spurs , it's about having to beat the other lot. This eight years without a trophy is fine with me , of course it is but it's now also been eighteen years in a row of finishing below them and that's something we have to re-dress . **** it , some of you overseas Spurs need educating :mickey:

Love The Spurs , love AVB , love you all......................... COYS!!!!!

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/spurs-tv/features/calling-all-spurs/

Nearest League team for me would be Ipswich or Colchester but I was brought up to enjoy football being played the way it is supposed to be played so it was Spurs for me and has been since the mid 70s.

Same as me, my dad only started with Spurs as his dad supported Arsenal and my dad did everything he could to **** him off back in the day haha

Dad's side of the family all grew up around Southgate, Endfield etc during the War. On visiting my Great Grandmother in hospital when a bairn, we drove past WHL and my Dad always pointed it out. It sewed a seed, then we got the Argies, the odd chart song and the rest his history.

Last edited:
My only gripe with some of our fellow Spurs from afar and it's a small one at that , is that sometimes on the internet, some of them just don't understand our rivalry with the Gooners and the history that goes with it . Sometimes it gets my goatee up when they come out with comments such as , "I don't care if they finish above us so long as we finish top four" and on one or two occasions I've seen the NLD described as just another game and that they'd rather beat the Chavs or Man Utd. Don't get me wrong, I want to beat all of them but for a North London bloke supporting either Arrse or Spurs , it's about having to beat the other lot. This eight years without a trophy is fine with me , of course it is but it's now also been eighteen years in a row of finishing below them and that's something we have to re-dress . **** it , some of you overseas Spurs need educating :mickey:

Love The Spurs , love AVB , love you all......................... COYS!!!!!

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/spurs-tv/features/calling-all-spurs/

Actually Arnie, not sure that's just an overseas thing, seen quite a few on this board (UK based), who seem to hate the chavs more than the Scum.

For me on a week, Spurs success, followed by Scum failure is what makes the day. Sure I dislike Manu/Cheat$ki/Pool, but nothing like the need to see us above the Scum.

Actually Arnie, not sure that's just an overseas thing, seen quite a few on this board (UK based), who seem to hate the chavs more than the Scum.

For me on a week, Spurs success, followed by Scum failure is what makes the day. Sure I dislike Manu/Cheat$ki/Pool, but nothing like the need to see us above the Scum.

Fully agree, perhaps it is an age thing and we're the ones who remember the good old days of supporting Spurs in the 70s (or for some even earlier)

I am north London born and bred, and I had no choice about supporting Spurs as my dad and his dad supported Tottenham. That said, when I was a kid in the 80's, almost all of my mates were scum fans, so I would go to whl one week and the library the other week. I knew even then that I absolutely hated going to see their drab and boring brand of football..and remember feeling satisfied when they drew or lost. Once I realised how much I despised their fans, football style and everything else about them, I knew that I was TTID. Been a season ticket holder since the early 80's and have had to watch them have huge success whilst we have suffered, but I never regret following spurs, because as a club with an ethos of playing with style and behaving like gentlemen (generally) there is no club that comes close

What I dislike recently is the fans who come to the lane and boo our players, or get frustrated when we don't rush into a five goal lead. I don't care where these fans come from geographically but I would be happy for them to go back there!

Back