• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Are you a geographical Spurs snob?

Papercut

Jermaine Jenas
Just want to get the consensus on this...

This has now become a global game, footie teams are now appealing outside of the country. Today once again I saw (I assume) Japanese fans in the front row (again, I assume not local)...

How do you feel about this?

Tottenham are my local team and always have been and as much as I hate it, I'm a bit snobbish about it.

It's even to an extent where I might :D respect goons who grew up in the area and always felt the rivalry (I know they are from Woolwich!).

I also know that some fans who were never North London - attend matches more than the local supporters do...

I know there has always been 'unlocal' support. Growing up in the early 80's - kids (in North London) supported us, the goons, LFC and Ipswich (fecking glory hunters :D) but I just want to get the general consensus on this...

It is a global game and everything has changed but have you?

I've lived outside of London the vast majority of my life. I've supported Spurs as passionately as possible during that time. People know I'm a Spurs fan, it's probably one of my defining qualities.

If I could afford to attend more often, I would, but so far my career hasn't been kind to me.

I think location is important, it's good to support the local team...but....I don't think you can question the level of people's support for a team simply because they don't live in the area. Passion is not confined by geographical location.

London born and bred, not to far from you if i remember correctly papercut, you of turk origin me pure but i consider us the same.

I do not mind the foreign fans supporting us and we always had a lot from Norway and Denmark for as long as i can remember. Everyone should be allowed to support tottenham though i only consider you a true yid when you have supported us after we have lost in a semi final to a **** team.

The foreign fans are welcome as long as then do not come on the teams fan forums and sprout racist ******** about the teams country.

It's a lot easier being a Spurs fan if you live in / are from London. You try getting up at 2am every week to watch the matches. Or spending $5000 just to see a match.

**** thread.

Also not being nasty cos i was not far from N17 but how many from their can afford tickets at spurs, they all peasants who would rather spend money on iphones and large screen t.v.'s lazy english scum should be out doing second jobs cleaning toilets and if they need to drink let them drink from the toilets lazy no good scum. When i was a kid i worked 70 hours a week and never complained bloody lazy scum.

It's a lot easier being a Spurs fan if you live in / are from London. You try getting up at 2am every week to watch the matches. Or spending $5000 just to see a match.

**** thread.

Thanks for your opinion on this **** thread.

Well, if you want Spurs to propel on to become one of the leading teams in the Premier League as it is in the year 2013, you have to accept this will happen. If it really matters then you'll have to hope Spurs don't become a team that competes on what is effectively a world stage, and would be happy if we were a mid-table side.

I suspect StubHub is a factor in this - before, the process seemed to be that ticket exchange seats would be snapped up by members. Now days you really are up against anyone and his dog. Plus some seats are advertised at well over face value (I noticed a lot of the front row seats were pretty pricey), and this might be of little concern to a fan over for just one match possibly in a life time. I'm not into baseball, but it's always attracted me. If I had a chance to go to a New York Yankees game though then it wouldn't bother me if the face value was $50, if I'm over on a trip of a lifetime then I'd pay over the odds for a ticket and not think anything of it.

Funnily enough, at the end of the game I saw a couple who appeared to be from an East Asian country. For all I know they could have been Wood Green born and bred, but they looked touristy and had an expensive camera. The guy was about to take a picture of the woman who he was with, standing with the WHL pitch behind her. I offered to take a snap of them together and she gave it a proper clenched fist - looked really happy to be there. Come to think of it, I thought those Asian fans at the Hong Kong matches (Indonesia Spurs?) looked proper nutters, knew all the songs too.

Every fans experience is going to be different, but if someone genuinely falls in love with the club as I have then I have no problem whatsoever. I'm gutted that my odds on landing one of 36,000 tickets are decreasing but I guess I'll just have to lump it.

you of turk origin me pure but i consider us the same.

:eek:

Last edited:
Well, if you want Spurs to propel on to become one of the leading teams in the Premier League as it is in the year 2013, you have to accept this will happen. If it really matters then you'll have to hope Spurs don't become a team that competes on what is effectively a world stage, and would be happy if we were a mid-table side.

I suspect StubHub is a factor in this - before, the process seemed to be that ticket exchange seats would be snapped up by members. Now days you really are up against anyone and his dog. Plus some seats are advertised at well over face value (I noticed a lot of the front row seats were pretty pricey), and this might be of little concern to a fan over for just one match possibly in a life time. I'm not into baseball, but it's always attracted me. If I had a chance to go to a New York Yankees game though then it wouldn't bother me if the face value was $50, if I'm over on a trip of a lifetime then I'd pay over the odds for a ticket and not think anything of it.

Funnily enough, at the end of the game I saw a couple who appeared to be from an East Asian country. For all I know they could have been Wood Green born and bred, but they looked touristy and had an expensive camera. The guy was about to take a picture of the woman who he was with, standing with the WHL pitch behind her. I offered to take a snap of them together and she gave it a proper clenched fist - looked really happy to be there. Come to think of it, I thought those Asian fans at the Hong Kong matches (Indonesia Spurs?) looked proper nutters, knew all the songs too.

Every fans experience is going to be different, but if someone genuinely falls in love with the club as I have then I have no problem whatsoever. I'm gutted that my odds on landing one of 36,000 tickets are decreasing but I guess I'll just have to lump it.

:eek:

I hate people having their picture taken at the lane, it should be like at the theatre where you are not allowed to take pictures, bloody scum the lot of them taking pictures.

Everytime a "local" can't get a ticket it's those bloddy foreigners fault, and every time someone is comparing size of clubs we're great because we support from all over the world. It's just the way it is.

Sorry, but deal with this **** all the time. How could I, as an Australian, possibly be a 'proper' Spurs fan? This video might help explain:

http://youtu.be/AyyifS28J-w

Sent from my iPad using Fapatalk 2

Not at all mate - I know my ideal thoughts are irrational - perhaps I'm romantic. I think it stems down more to people who cling onto teams and start getting strong opinions without having even supported them for more than 2 weeks. Look at the Metro website at 6am (before a lot of the locals have even woken up)...

Perhaps the term fan and supporter do not fit in with what I mean...

Can someone truely understand a team if they have not lived in the area thus tasting the culture of the teams and the rivalry?

And Ben, not sure why you think I'm Turkish :D

Not at all mate - I know my ideal thoughts are irrational - perhaps I'm romantic. I think it stems down more to people who cling onto teams and start getting strong opinions without having even supported them for more than 2 weeks. Look at the Metro website at 6am (before a lot of the locals have even woken up)...

Perhaps the term fan and supporter do not fit in with what I mean...

Can someone truely understand a team if they have not lived in the area thus tasting the culture of the teams and the rivalry?

And Ben, not sure why you think I'm Turkish :D

RACIST

and because your a delight.

You weirdo :D

When did you last go down to Woodie mate? I'm scared too even bother...

My last bastion of hope for Woodie is that Brigg Sports is still there!

You weirdo :D

When did you last go down to Woodie mate? I'm scared too even bother...

My last bastion of hope for Woodie is that Brigg Sports is still there!

About 6 years ago, was at the lane today and again thursday. Do not know anyone in Wood Green anymore everyone moved out even the blacks i grew up with moved out because London is dying their words not mine. Nature of the city always been the way, people move away and a new lot move in.

About 6 years ago, was at the lane today and again thursday. Do not know anyone in Wood Green anymore everyone moved out even the blacks i grew up with moved out because London is dying their words not mine. Nature of the city always been the way, people move away and a new lot move in.

London is like New York is like Paris... these sort of cities have such a transient population. I used to think it was just central London but it's everywhere. I grew up in Ilford and pretty much everyone I knew well have moved out.

Spurs weren't my nearest league team (Orient) or nearest First Division team (West Ham) but they were the team I chose. Only a couple of miles in it. There's a debate in all that I'm sure, should I have picked a more local team etc. But I would guess that the vast majority of Spurs fans, going back decades, are not from an immediate catchement area that takes in the likes of Tottenham, Wood Green, Harringey etc.

**** thread.

I hear you mate. How about those 4am midweek games.

At least we can watch the whole spurs game every week thanks to that red button. How it should be. Although we do have to put up with Mark Bosnich punditry!!

I, as a foreign fan, can kind of feel what OP is saying. I have never been to the UK, never seen Spurs live and I only started following them this decade. I still feel uneasy about referring to myself and the club as a singular unit (we) because in the back of my mind I believe that i'm not as much a fan as some. I care about Spurs as much as anybody here, but I haven't been through the things life long fans have and I don't know if I've earned that privilege.

There are no major football clubs within a hundred miles of my home town, so I guess I would feel this way about any club I supported since I got into football after childhood.

related post from another forum: http://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comm...have_so_many_football_clubs/cbzyf5a?context=1

Because football clubs tend to grow organically from communities. London has many different socio-economic groups because the area it covers is vast.
Some clubs are formed because a group of men who worked in the same dock wanted to do something when work finished.. That club is Millwall.
Some clubs are formed because boys who had played together at school wanted to keep playing together once they had left school. That club was Wimbledon.
Some clubs are formed because the members of a rowing club wanted a physical activity to do together during the winter. That club is Brentford.
Some clubs are formed because an entrepreneurial man owned a stadium but had no club to fill it. So he made his own. That clubs is Chelsea.
The point I'm making is that London has so many different, vibrant areas each with their own social clubs, working groups, comrades, enemies, prejudices, differences that it can accommodate these clubs and they were able to thrive.
As the United Kingdom is a nation with nations within it so too the city of London is a community within communities. Even in the 19thc century it was a vibrant hub with many different people from different backgrounds. Football clubs often come to be the figurehead of the working communities that surround their stadiums. Saturday being a place for the tribe to gather and share in unison the collective glory and pain.
Most of all London is able to accommodate so many clubs because the people from the different communities value standing up and representing where they're from, as opposed to just wanting to win. It's why our football pyramid is so extensive and so well supported because football, and the clubs that play it, were as much a part of the working classes identity as anything else. Football has changed into a mainstream middle class sport now, but in the old days it was a badge of honour for the working class to care about where you're from, to want to support where you're from.
It's why most football clubs are in working class areas. Chelsea and Wimbledon might be in expensive areas at the time, but back in the late 19th century early 20th Fulham and Wimbledon were not fashionable or trendy. There's a reason areas like Belgravia, Kensington and Victoria don't have football clubs, because the people who populated those areas were in the upper classes who had no interest in football.
It's why the issue with the relocation of Wimbledon to Milton Keynes was such a shocking event in the history of English footrball. Sure clubs like Arsenal had relocated when they were in their infancy, but to have an established club with a rich history and storied place in the heart of a busy urban community relocate to a town miles away in a different county was mind-blowing. Because a football club isn't just a sports team in England, it's the embodiment of that place, that area, those people.
And it's why the people of Wimbledon fought to create their own new club, instead of just supporting another one that was nearby, because they cared that much.
I don't know why other metropolises around the world don't have the same number of football clubs that London supports, I can only say why it works here. We're an island nation that is both divided and united at the same time.
Also we like to get drunk and fight each other.

Even back in the day (mid 60s to early 80s) there were always plenty of groups of foreign Spurs supporters at the Lane, mainly from Scandinavia.

The vast majority of Spurs supporters these days don't come from the Tottenham/Edmonton area, but from further afield in north London & Essex.

Back