• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Are we now permanently locked out of the CL?

never say never but i can't see us qualifying for the CL for the foreseeable future with the millstone that is the europa weighing down on us. I've said in other threads that at some point it will be disbanded, UEFA was thinking of enlarging the CL but haven't found an equable way of doing that yet. For right now, with a small stadium and less revenue and less of a budget to work with than the current top 4, the extra games/travel in the EL are the straws that break the camel's back. And we can't just play reserve team players in these games, UEFA would come down on us and we don't have the biggest squad anyway, with our injuries, we'd still have players playing on thursday and sunday.

no we are not

a couple of investments that have not paid off but were bold enough to signal intent. we should keep trying to do these high risk high reward signings while cultivating what we have

you never know , maybe next year lamela will really shine

Great idea to bump this thread Roy.

And Africanspurs, :cool:

Haven't seen him around for ages maybe he's finally been weighed down by that chip on his shoulder??!??

Anyhow, please let us have CL football at WHL next season!

Possibly. Really hope not though.

The selfish part of me says we should play at Wembley, more chance of a ticket. But my head says we should play all our CL matches at the Lane. In effect we end up playing 3 away games and 3 cup finals in the Group.
It has been mentioned before any teams coming to play us at Wembley are going to love it and rise to the occasion, and as it appears we will be in Pot 3, I think our task of making the Last 16 will be tough enough without giving up the obvious advantage we would get from playing at The Lane

The selfish part of me says we should play at Wembley, more chance of a ticket. But my head says we should play all our CL matches at the Lane. In effect we end up playing 3 away games and 3 cup finals in the Group.
It has been mentioned before any teams coming to play us at Wembley are going to love it and rise to the occasion, and it is appears we will be in Pot 3, I think our task of making the Last 16 will be tough enough without giving up the obvious advantage we would get from playing at The Lane

Hhmm pot 3 wouldn't be good but it is to be expected. I just remember 2011 and the CL nights at WHL. You could even hear the difference on the TV at the games I couldn't make it was electric.

Possibly. Really hope not though.
Just re-read the announcement and you are right it just talks about a possibility. I too would love to have CL at the Lane next year although with a reduced capacity getting a ticket is going to mean many a stressful encounter with the wheel of death. Unfortunately I do think we will be elsewhere if the partial demolition has begun and the announcement is just sowing the seed of the idea before making it official.

Hhmm pot 3 wouldn't be good but it is to be expected. I just remember 2011 and the CL nights at WHL. You could even hear the difference on the TV at the games I couldn't make it was electric.

We got lucky and managed to get tickets for all the home matches, bar Milan (wont go there with that tale again).

Obviously, Inter was the ultimate memory. Twente and Werder were still great games, and it was just the fact we saw Spurs playing Real Madrid at the Lane that still made that a decent night.
But you know what, that 2nd leg v Young Boys, our first ever CL home game was still my one of favourite ever nights at WHL, The early goal just set it off.

Wouldnt it just be great to have CL football in the final season in the Old Lane?

Haven't seen him around for ages maybe he's finally been weighed down by that chip on his shoulder??!??

Anyhow, please let us have CL football at WHL next season!
Preferable, but unlikely. Atmos and fans energy to the players would be big factors, but club wouldn't wanna miss out on the extra gate revenue.

Just remember when the scum played there, they seemed to drop a tad and oppo were very charged. Or it could just be the scum at Wemberleee

I think it could be a disadvantage playing at Wembley if we don't prepare properly, it essential that if we do play CL games there our players get a feel for the place and practice on the pitch. Being right mentally is essential and we should have the players feeling at home in the stadium as well as the pitch, a lot of players are creatures of habit and the more they are comfortable with their surroundings the more relaxed they will be and able to perform. Obviously the fans can help with the noise.

I think it could be a disadvantage playing at Wembley if we don't prepare properly, it essential that if we do play CL games there our players get a feel for the place and practice on the pitch. Being right mentally is essential and we should have the players feeling at home in the stadium as well as the pitch, a lot of players are creatures of habit and the more they are comfortable with their surroundings the more relaxed they will be and able to perform. Obviously the fans can help with the noise.
I agree, there is a risk that the players will take time to settle playing there, especially as it will be quite sporadic. It will be like being at an away ground, but having most of the supporters. The potential upside, looking a year further ahead, is if that is Wembley is our home venue for the season away from the Lane, then CL next year gives us some opportunity to gain familiarity with playing there.

Last edited:
Relax. Our away results are pretty much on a par with our record at WHL.

Home: P18 - W10 D6 L2 - F34 A13 - Pts 36

Away: P18 - W9 D7 L2 - F33 A15 - Pts 34

You're right, but for many opposition players it will be their only chance of playing at Wembley and they might raise their game.
True, but equally some freeze. It may also help that we have several English players familiar with the venue.

Playing CL games there next season would further help familiarise the squad with the venue and help make it feel like a second home for the following season.

Preferable, but unlikely. Atmos and fans energy to the players would be big factors, but club wouldn't wanna miss out on the extra gate revenue.

Just remember when the scum played there, they seemed to drop a tad and oppo were very charged. Or it could just be the scum at Wemberleee

didnt arsenal play at the "old" wembley when the dog track was there and the stands were a way from the pitch, the new wembley is much more enclosed and in any case, you obviously can't compare their fans to ours

didnt arsenal play at the "old" wembley when the dog track was there and the stands were a way from the pitch, the new wembley is much more enclosed and in any case, you obviously can't compare their fans to ours
That's the key point, the fans - if we can treat the matches with high energy and feed that to our players, it'd be an amazing and frightening atmos ! And no, you're right, I'm not gonna compare us with their plastic fans.

Back