• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Apple TV

Not on my say so. You had already bought that when I got involved

Typical Spurs fan

Boonie - I got the HDMI Cable and fit it in to the tv - the HD channel pictures are remarkable - pretty damn fudgein good and its solved the issue. HOWEVER the normal non HD channels (Im presuming the standard definition channels) are still a touch blurry - why? is this normal?

2 reasons: The channels are much lower definition than the HD ones, you have been spoiled and your Sony is good at the HD stuff but pants for showing SD, sorry.

2 reasons: The channels are much lower definition than the HD ones, you have been spoiled and your Sony is good at the HD stuff but pants for showing SD, sorry.

You are the bearer of bad news. You really know how to break a mans heart. fudge it. ill just watch HD stuff.

But thanks for your help throughout. to everyone. Ill buy ya all a pint in never never land.

Connecting a laptop to a TV is by no means an absolute must requirement in most users.

Having a solid machine with excellent built quality and hardware/OS integration I'd say is much higher up on the agenda.
Apple's focus is meant to be on simplicity and things "just working" (and in many cases they achieve that goal, which is why I switched from PCs to Macs a few years ago) and by far the simplest and easiest way of connecting a laptop to an external display (not just TVs) is with a standard HDMI connector. The only reason not to go with that option is so they can make extra money from an accessory that people shouldn't even need.

Apple's focus is meant to be on simplicity and things "just working" (and in many cases they achieve that goal, which is why I switched from PCs to Macs a few years ago) and by far the simplest and easiest way of connecting a laptop to an external display (not just TVs) is with a standard HDMI connector. The only reason not to go with that option is so they can make extra money from an accessory that people shouldn't even need.

Apple have a record of trying to set the standard for ports and things. They successfully got rid of the floppy, somewhat introduced FireWire and decided that MiniDisplayPort was the best option to get audio and video out, with mixed success. They're trying to do it again with ThunderBolt to replace FireWire/USB. I don't believe they trying to be difficult, just trying to find the best solution.

The biggest issue is that they used to provide a multitude of adapters in the box, now I think it's just MiniDisplayPort to DVI. Having said that, there's so many different monitors/tvs etc that they would never to provide 4 or 5 adaptors at least. Makes good business sense not to do that.

Apple have a record of trying to set the standard for ports and things. They successfully got rid of the floppy, somewhat introduced FireWire and decided that MiniDisplayPort was the best option to get audio and video out, with mixed success. They're trying to do it again with ThunderBolt to replace FireWire/USB. I don't believe they trying to be difficult, just trying to find the best solution.

The biggest issue is that they used to provide a multitude of adapters in the box, now I think it's just MiniDisplayPort to DVI. Having said that, there's so many different monitors/tvs etc that they would never to provide 4 or 5 adaptors at least. Makes good business sense not to do that.
I agree that when they stopped putting floppy disk drives into the Mac it was a good idea, as it was an ancient device that was fast becoming totally unsuitable for modern computing, it needed to be phased out.

HDMI is a very modern standard though, will be around for some time, and is by far and away the most common audio/visual connector on modern displays. You'd be extremely hard pressed to find a telly or monitor for sale these days that doesn't have an HDMI socket (aside from a few very cheap PC monitors, but even these are starting to include HDMI more often). If they wanted to push MiniDisplayPort they should have included it alongside an HDMI socket, imho.

Trying to set standards isn't a bad thing, but sometimes when a standard has already been set and you give a better experience to your users if you follow that standard. That's what I think Apple should have done with HDMI.

In the end it's not a huge problem really, but I expect perfection from Apple ;)

If your screen was small, and you have your first big screen then the difference is more likely that with a small screen using SD may feel like HD, whereas when you put the same feed on a bigger platform the detail gets lost.

I went from a 32" tv and the move from that to 40" was noticable on SD.

I also think SKY have started showing digital at a less quality in order to force as many people as possible on the HD format.

the mac mini has hdmi, i guess on the laptops its a space issue, they have thunderbolt anyway so it saves adding another port

Can I just add what a superb advert this thread is for the 7 billion profit, no taxing ****s that are apple.

How anyone can buy Apple after this thread I do not know.

If your screen was small, and you have your first big screen then the difference is more likely that with a small screen using SD may feel like HD, whereas when you put the same feed on a bigger platform the detail gets lost.

I went from a 32" tv and the move from that to 40" was noticable on SD.

I also think SKY have started showing digital at a less quality in order to force as many people as possible on the HD format.

That makes sense. As I said the HD picture is unreal its the SD then again I guess when you switch from HD to SD the HD makes SD look even worse.

Why would Sky want to force people to move to HD?

Can I just add what a superb advert this thread is for the 7 billion profit, no taxing ****s that are apple.

How anyone can buy Apple after this thread I do not know.

They're American. Why should I give a fudge? Ever bought anything from Amazon?

They're American. Why should I give a fudge? Ever bought anything from Amazon?

Don't understand.. Amazon don't fleece the public in its products and its prices, although they too like to pay as little tax as it possibly can.

A bit like overpaid footballers getting paid overseas I guess.

Tax laws have not kept up with the online revolution. Everyone used to buy on the highstreet, now they are purchasing from tax havens.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/apr/04/amazon-british-operation-corporation-tax

Back