• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Antonio Conte - officially NOT the coach of THFC

If we don't back Conte then you can forget ever being successful under ENIC. Levy is in last chance saloon as far as I'm concerned.

He's tried every approach. Promoted from within, signed the latest hipster manager, brought in the old English style steady pair of hands, got in a manager with an unmatched CV. He almost had it with Pochettino but there was an element of luck on that appointment and Poch worked miracles with minimal backing for at least two seasons. All of the managers have been hamstrung and ultimately failed at least partially because we didn't back them or we forced players on them they didn't want.

We've now gotten one of the world's best managers at the peak of his powers. If he fails, and he will if he's left with this group of players, there is nowhere else for Levy to go. Even Poch wouldn't cut it and I've a huge amount of time for Poch.

Notwithstanding the fact we have 2 or 3 lottery winners competing against us, 1 League Cup in 20 years is an abysmal return trophy wise. It's unacceptable. If Conte fails with any hint that its because he wasn't backed, the vitriol Nuno got versus United will seem like a walk in the park compared to what Levy will get next time. I was in the stadium that day and I don't believe the reaction was solely down to Nuno hooking Moura. It was the trigger for the release of three years of frustration with the way the first team squad and management has been mismanaged since 2018. That's on Levy.

The standard Levy applies to managers now has to be applied to Levy himself in terms of success on the field. Stadiums and strong financial results are great but I support a football club not a business and I want to see us properly compete rather than just flirt with the idea. As Simon Jordan rightly said this week, we are now competing with the best clubs in the dugout, time to do it in the transfer market.
Enic lost some goodwill from me when they sacked Poch after what he had achieved for them. But I eventually accepted that. What really turned my head was when they sacked Jose just before a cup final and put a novice in charge. That said to me that winning trophies is not really a priority.

With regard to Conte, he will walk eventually he always does. When he does, it may be difficult to lay that completely at Enic's door as we do not have the resources, in their business model, to compete with the top tier teams and Conte may want unrealistic targets.

For me the issue was not recognising this and appointing Conte in the first place instead of a Potter type coach who builds a team from the bottom up.

Last edited:
Doesn't negate the point though when we describe him as a top tier manager. Others have.

Yes it does. Did fergie win cl in his first 3 years at utd? Klopp at liverpool? Wenger?

He's only ever spent 2-3 seasons at a top team. The italian league is what 4th now?

Yes it does. Did fergie win cl in his first 3 years at utd? Klopp at liverpool? Wenger?

He's only ever spent 2-3 seasons at a top team. The italian league is what 4th now?
He's managed top tier clubs for the last 10 years. That he chooses to leave them early suggests he doesn't have the staying power to ever do it.

He hasn't done great in europe but that doesn't mean he isn't a top tier manager. He improves teams and wins trophies. Which is what we badly need.
Not disagreeing with you on the point of domestic performances. The original point though was about his European campaigns which have been mediocre at best.

Not disagreeing with you on the point of domestic performances. The original point though was about his European campaigns which have been mediocre at best.

Lets try to qualify for europe first. Hopefully keep him long enough that he can build a squad capable of challenging.

Will it all end in tears? Most probably, but then most managerial appointments do. Nearly all of ours have.

Di Mattel won the CL
He was a bang average manager
Cup football has that affect sometimes
I agree but Di Matteo only had one shot at managing a top tier team. Conte has managed them for 10 years or more. The Europe thing is definitely a blot on his otherwise impeccable CV. And I think @Lilbaz is right, it's because he doesn't stay long enough to build teams that compete in both.

I agree but Di Matteo only had one shot at managing a top tier team. Conte has managed them for 10 years or more. The Europe thing is definitely a blot on his otherwise impeccable CV. And I think @Lilbaz is right, it's because he doesn't stay long enough to build teams that compete in both.

No he hasn't. He was at juve for about 3 seasons. 2 at chelsea and 2 at inter. Won 8 trophies and runner up in the europa league.

He was italy manager for a while.

Even tuchel and klopp can only dream of 5 titles in 8 seasons with 3 different clubs

Back