• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Antonio Conte - officially NOT the coach of THFC

Did he? I thought he'd been coaching under Pep at Emirates Marketing Project for several years? He'd be a dream for Levy though. Imagine Mason demanding a player.... 'Now, now Ryan... Remember that nobody else in the PL would give you a manager's job, remember which side your bread is buttered and use this fantastic training ground that I built with my bare hands to coach Eric Dier into a good player'.

I remember arteta from his time in Glasgow, he was obviously an intelligent and hard working guy, he's worked and learned with some of the best coaches in the world, advocaat, wenger and pep.
I said when arsenal appointed him that he would be a good coach but i didn't think arsenal were the right club for him.
The doubt i have over him is his man management.

Mason wasn't part of the coaching staff at Spurs when Pochettino was here. If we're talking about giving players with little managerial experience the manager's job at Spurs because of who they happened to play under in their career there would be hundreds of players with better credentials than Mason.

Yes he was. Mason became a coach at spurs in 2018. He became academy coach in july 2019. Poch left november 2019.

Yes he was. Mason became a coach at spurs in 2018. He became academy coach in july 2019. Poch left november 2019.
So Mason should be Spurs manager because he happened to coach in our academy when Poch was managing the first team? Even Daniel Levy might have a slightly higher bar than that to use when appointing a Spurs manager (though admittedly Nuno showed it was only marginally higher).... I think the main question Levy asks these days is 'has the prospective manager previously been sacked by Chelsea')

You're probably right about Forster.... I'm torn over whether Sanchez coming in for Dier would be OK or even worse. I think he'd probably contribute more defensively than Dier does but he is even worse on the ball than Dier and I'd be even more worried about our lack of press resistence. Maybe as the central one in the 3 we could get away with that? Especially if Lloris (another player hopeless on the ball) isn't playing. What's Forster like with his feet?
Forster is ok with his feet
And can throw a ball better than Hugo can kick it
He is also decent with balls in the air so doesn’t throw the ball in his net

I remember arteta from his time in Glasgow, he was obviously an intelligent and hard working guy, he's worked and learned with some of the best coaches in the world, advocaat, wenger and pep.
I said when arsenal appointed him that he would be a good coach but i didn't think arsenal were the right club for him.
The doubt i have over him is his man management.
I still have that doubt
He was the manager in charge who gave Aubemeyang the longer contract despite knowing he was a prick

A really good January window is 2 signings similar to last Jan, and we might get there again with Porro and possible Zaniolo.

If those were to arrive then you have Porro, Romeo, Udogie, Sarr, Bentancur, Kulu, Zaniolo, Richie who are new and young enough to form the basis of a new team (formation and manager TBC).

Add to them 3-4 arrivals in the summer, mainly at CB and GK, plus the likes of Skipp, Spence (possibly the Brighton-Bisouma) and the twylight years of Kane and Son if we decide to keep them, and the squad starts to look quite refreshed

We have a lot to shift out though: NDombelo, Reguilon, GLC, Sanchez, Dier, Sessegnon, Tanganga, PEH, Moura, Royal, Doherty etc etc

Assuming we sign no more than 2 players (if any) this window I’d put the money towards a proper keeper and centre-back and make do with what we have further up the pitch.

So Mason should be Spurs manager because he happened to coach in our academy when Poch was managing the first team? Even Daniel Levy might have a slightly higher bar than that to use when appointing a Spurs manager (though admittedly Nuno showed it was only marginally higher).... I think the main question Levy asks these days is 'has the prospective manager previously been sacked by Chelsea')

He's got the highest win percentage in the prem of any manager we've had.

Seriously though, why not give him a chance? We've been grooming him for management for years. Obviously impressed conte enough that he made him a part of his setup. We're probably going to lose kane, son and lloris in the summer. Do what arsenal did. A full reset. Young coach, bring in prospects and try and build for the future.
We bring in a poch, tuchel or someone like that they are going to be the same, wanting immediate successs that we probably won't get and in 18 months time we'll be searching again.

The theory that we need a "project manager" and Conte is a bad fit for us as he isn't one - has it ever actually worked? And I mean worked in terms of the manager delivering more than Conte has delivered for us?

Klopp at Liverpool? It helped him that he was given a couple of hundred million to spend after they lost a CL final to sign Allison, Keita, Fabinho, Shaqiri as well as VVD the previous January. He's also gotten big money since that.
Arteta at Woolwich? Biggest spenders in Europe in summer 2021. Spent a fair bit last summer too.
Potter at Chelsea? fudge me, they've gone nuts buying players over the last few weeks.

"Project managers" won't deliver regular CL football on a shoestring and win silverware. The one who got closest to doing it was Poch.

For what we want, we need a top manager and we need to back him with players which means spending on transfers and wages. We have a keeper and defence which just isn't good enough. Conte isn't faultless here, we should be doing better defensively than we are, but he's tinkling into the wind by trying to build a top side with lads like Dier, Royal, Doherty, Sessegnon, Tanganga and (I hate saying this) Hugo.

He's got the highest win percentage in the prem of any manager we've had.

Seriously though, why not give him a chance? We've been grooming him for management for years. Obviously impressed conte enough that he made him a part of his setup. We're probably going to lose kane, son and lloris in the summer. Do what arsenal did. A full reset. Young coach, bring in prospects and try and build for the future.
We bring in a poch, tuchel or someone like that they are going to be the same, wanting immediate successs that we probably won't get and in 18 months time we'll be searching again.
Nothing like taking a punt with a live experiment eh? He can go off to manage a smaller team first, though I don't think many would take him, which probably indicates how mad it would be for us to appoint him as manager. If he does well at a lower placed team then he could earn the right to be Spurs manager. Levy hasn't the patience for rebuilds, he has proved that time and again in the past.

We're moving in the right direction apparently...
I think we are moving in the right direction. Neither the Arsenal or City performances were bad. Individual mistakes are costing us. Majorily Hugo and, to a lesser extent, Sarr against Arsenal and majorly Perisic and, to a lesser extent, Hugo against City. Some of our play in both games was good. I don't think we're far away from our results picking up. A new keeper and CCB would help loads with that but even without those I think we'll have a better second half of the season than first half.

I think we are moving in the right direction. Neither the Arsenal or City performances were bad. Individual mistakes are costing us. Majorily Hugo and, to a lesser extent, Sarr against Arsenal and majorly Perisic and, to a lesser extent, Hugo against City. Some of our play in both games was good. I don't think we're far away from our results picking up. A new keeper and CCB would help loads with that but even without those I think we'll have a better second half of the season than first half.

I thought 1st half versus Arsenal was poor even if we probably had as many chances as them - on general play we were outplayed. But the rest has been decent. I also think Conte got it wrong against Arsenal with his plan to combat their midfield 3/4 but he wasn't helped by individuals on Sunday or last night.

But you're right, performances have been decent. Bentancur coming back in gives us something extra as well. He's so much better on the ball than our other midfielders. We get a win on Monday, which won't be easy, and we could be back feeling a bit more positive about life.

It’s the Liverpool investment
They literally changed the team by buying a quality keeper and CB

Ignoring City, our second halves have been pretty good all season. But that’s not the problem. Our first halves remain awful, truly horrendous at times. I’ve seen no improvement on that over the course of the season. If we start taking leads in the first half, playing well and then seeing out the matches, I will agree we’re going in the right direction.

The guy isn't perfect, no manager is, and he's made mistakes but I'm 110% behind him. It's difficult at the moment but he's dealing with some very tough circumstances. Give him time, back him and he will do the business for us.

I'd give him more time. Not sure he will stay though.

Ignoring City, our second halves have been pretty good all season. But that’s not the problem. Our first halves remain awful, truly horrendous at times. I’ve seen no improvement on that over the course of the season. If we start taking leads in the first half, playing well and then seeing out the matches, I will agree we’re going in the right direction.
Our first halves are poor because we have had players make individual mistakes. Ignoring the play if we don’t have Hugo make his fudge ups or others too the halves aren’t as bad as we think

the other thing we aren’t highlighting is we play better away… I wonder why

Back