• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Antonio Conte - officially NOT the coach of THFC

Arteta was signed up to a long contract early doors and always spoke of the project - in fairness to Conte he has said it will take time to get the squad where it needs to be but he hasn't given any indication that he is going to be the one to see it through.

I agree. Difficult to know with Conte. Not sure he's the type of manager to explicitly state that he's in for the painful ups and downs over time.

Most of what he's saying is more in the "will try to see it through" direction though.

It's Monday morning and I am still seething about yesterday. We have failed to win either home or away against any of our rivals this season. Even in games we have got a result in we have usually laboured 1st half. But Conte hasn't changed a single thing other than being forced to because of injuries. He has to go now imo while we still have a season to salvage. This is currently second season AVB stuff and conte isn't trying to integrate 7 new players.

Last edited:
It's Monday morning and I am still seething about yesterday. We have failed to win either home or away against any of our rivals this season. Even in games we have got a result in we have usually laboured 1st half. But Conte hasn't changed a single thing other than being forced to because of injuries. He has to go now imo while we still have a season to salvage. This is currently second season AVB stuff and conte isn't trying to integrate 7 new players.
It would be knee-jerk to sack him now. I think he’ll leave in the summer anyway and let’s see what direction we want to go in then and who’s available. I wouldn’t rule out the possibility of winning the FA cup with what we have now.

It would be knee-jerk to sack him now. I think he’ll leave in the summer anyway and let’s see what direction we want to go in then and who’s available. I wouldn’t rule out the possibility of winning the FA cup with what we have now.

I'd love an FA Cup, obviously, but Conte's already said he doesn't see it as important. I think he'll try to get 4th again, and then leave saying "what a miracle I performed" or finish 5th/6th and blame the chairman. Whatever happens, he'll come out looking rosey in his own opinion.

Would paper over the cracks, and if that means him staying and the current problems continuing, I'm not sure that that is a good thing

I have to admit that I'm not sure there's a redemption arc on the horizon here, but who knows? Scum stuck with Arteta and it paid off for them, so maybe there's something to be learned there. Or maybe not. Who knows. Football is confusing. :p
Get him on the he shrooms....all will be clear;)

I think it would be knee jerk BUT if he leaves in the summer (as you suggest) where does that leave us now re. Signings/direction?

7 games against the top sides and 6 defeats, with 7th being a fortunate draw v Chelsea

I would have a problem backing him now in this transfer window. And if he was as genuine as he likes to make himself out to be, he would not only understand that but be totally on board.
I’m slightly reluctant to back him too. But the problem would then be you’ve given him an excuse to go full on Conte, railing against the club for a lack of investment, broken promises etc. We could do without this attention tbh

The only way to back him is if he extends his contract. Sure he could walk anyway but the current situation just has too much tension.

On the contrary, not kneejerk at all. It's based on results over this season and the fact they don't look likely to change. We won't win the FA cup unless Conte is willing to compromise (and we know he won't). I can't see us finishing top 4 either. As much as I hate them Chelsea in the Abramovich era, identified when a manager wasn't working early in the season, made the decisive change and went on to have success that season. Us, on the other hand, have left the change too late (see Mourinho's sacking before the LC final) and have forfeited any trophies. Make the change now while we can salvage this season. We are in some very promising positions in the cup and CL which will be squandered by keeping Conte in place..

He can be backed with players that we need whether he is here or not. A goalkeeper is a must, doesn't make a difference who is manager.
Get one that can use his feet and the system doesn't matter.

Give Conte until the summer, see then if he is committed or wants to leave. We're doing nothing this season either way so no point in taking a knee-jerk reaction and sacking him now. If he doesn't commit in the summer then go for someone like Franke and not a big name manager.

On the contrary, not kneejerk at all. It's based on results over this season and the fact they don't look likely to change. We won't win the FA cup unless Conte is willing to compromise (and we know he won't). I can't see us finishing top 4 either. As much as I hate them Chelsea in the Abramovich era, identified when a manager wasn't working early in the season, made the decisive change and went on to have success that season. Us, on the other hand, have left the change too late (see Mourinho's sacking before the LC final) and have forfeited any trophies. Make the change now while we can salvage this season. We are in some very promising positions in the cup and CL which will be squandered by keeping Conte in place..
It's not just about Conte, the squad has some huge weaknesses and it doesn't matter who the manager is until they are fixed.

He can be backed with players that we need whether he is here or not. A goalkeeper is a must, doesn't make a difference who is manager.
Get one that can use his feet and the system doesn't matter.

Give Conte until the summer, see then if he is committed or wants to leave. We're doing nothing this season either way so no point in taking a knee-jerk reaction and sacking him now. If he doesn't commit in the summer then go for someone like Franke and not a big name manager.
What d'you mean 'we're doing nothing this season anyway'?

I'm afraid that I have come to the conclusion that it matters little until the owners change. Sack Conte and it will be another ill-thought through appointment (probably Pochettino to appease the fans. Imo he will fail for reasons best explained by @thfcsteff in other posts). There will be more promises of 'jam tomorrow' while they continue to build up their investment to its maximum for the inevitable sale at some point.

If something needs to be done relatively quickly it's the owners selling, rather than sacking yet another manager. Otherwise it's simply rinse and repeat.

I wouldn’t rule out the possibility of winning the FA cup with what we have now.

Thanks. I needed a laugh this morning.

Back