• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Antonio Conte - officially NOT the coach of THFC

I was thinking the same just now. Is Conte the new Mou - a manager past his sell by date? The only thing we don't know is whether, with the right personnel, this rigid, dogmatic system could thrive. And I would be shocked if Levy opens the bank this January. And the fact that Conte poses as if he's doing us all a favour by being here won't aid that process.
Ah of course, it’s the manager that’s past his sell by date because he can’t succeed at Spurs! It’s funny, who’s the only club Jose hasn’t won something with? Just about every decent player that leaves us goes on to win things. And now it’s poor old Conte who is apparently past it because for once he isn’t winning trophies. Now I’ve never been one to criticise Levy before, but maybe just maybe there is a deeper rooted problem at the club than every manager being past it and half of our players being useless? Hmmmm….

Ah of course, it’s the manager that’s past his sell by date because he can’t succeed at Spurs! It’s funny, who’s the only club Jose hasn’t won something with? Just about every decent player that leaves us goes on to win things. And now it’s poor old Conte who is apparently past it because for once he isn’t winning trophies. Now I’ve never been one to criticise Levy before, but maybe just maybe there is a deeper rooted problem at the club than every manager being past it and half of our players being useless? Hmmmm….

yeah, it's the curse, it's the only thing it can be now

I was asking a question, not making a statement - Is Conte the new Mou - a manager past his sell by date? The only thing we don't know is whether, with the right personnel, this rigid, dogmatic system could thrive.

The problem with fans is it's always one or the other

- Could the club have done better with recruitment in past 5-7 years? absolutely even if I think the last 2 haven't been bad
- Can you absolve a top class manager when it seems like other teams (Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Fulham, Brighton) are doing more with less (unless you really want to defend their squads against ours) and actually playing football that is better to watch? no, don't think so.

It's clear Conte could have done better, used other options
- why tf are we only playing 3-4-3 with two in midfield regardless of the two? (it only seems to work with Bentancur)
- why tf didn't he give Sarr, Gil, Spence more playing time earlier in season so they would have been more ready for when we actually neede them
- Why tf, do we play so slow?

I'm on the fence with Conte, but how much more would you have to give him to beat Aston Villa at home?

The problem with fans is it's always one or the other

- Could the club have done better with recruitment in past 5-7 years? absolutely even if I think the last 2 haven't been bad
- Can you absolve a top class manager when it seems like other teams (Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Fulham, Brighton) are doing more with less (unless you really want to defend their squads against ours) and actually playing football that is better to watch? no, don't think so.

It's clear Conte could have done better, used other options
- why tf are we only playing 3-4-3 with two in midfield regardless of the two? (it only seems to work with Bentancur)
- why tf didn't he give Sarr, Gil, Spence more playing time earlier in season so they would have been more ready for when we actually neede them
- Why tf, do we play so slow?

I'm on the fence with Conte, but how much more would you have to give him to beat Aston Villa at home?
I’d sack him
He has the tools and is making a pigs ear of them
It’s his natural way to go
His way to no way…, he would choose no way then

I was asking a question, not making a statement - Is Conte the new Mou - a manager past his sell by date? The only thing we don't know is whether, with the right personnel, this rigid, dogmatic system could thrive.

No.
We had the right personnel, one could argue, and we still couldn't do brick and bottled/lucked out certain occasions.
(We've had the Belgium golden moment, we need a rebuild.)

As much as it pains to type, but the gooner's are simply a much better team than we are at this moment in time.

Does Conte need to rethink his strategies', maybe - but I am just a lowly IT geek and not a manager who has won all the awards he has, so I know brick.

I'm all for giving Conte time, but he is literally not a manager who wants time. He wants it all, now. One of the concerns we all had when he was appointed was that he could up and leave at any time giving his history. How can we seriously go all in on a manager like that? Especially one who seems to refuse to even try something different, try playing some young players.

I'd love Conte to stick around for 3 more years, but not if this is the brick he's going to keep serving up.

I'm all for giving Conte time, but he is literally not a manager who wants time. He wants it all, now. One of the concerns we all had when he was appointed was that he could up and leave at any time giving his history. How can we seriously go all in on a manager like that? Especially one who seems to refuse to even try something different, try playing some young players.

I'd love Conte to stick around for 3 more years, but not if this is the brick he's going to keep serving up.

Its not even just that but if we aint going all in, because of clubs vision, for better or worse, is he the guy? And I don't blame him for that, but for me its clear, as he has said, we are going for youth and development, if he is not the guy for that hen why carry on?

I agree, I'm not convinced he's got the patience he is always asking for.

I can't remember the lie of the land when he was Chelsea boss but this league is ultra competitive and to 'win now' is a big ask.

I'm also worried the improvement curve is flat lining or even stalling.

Regardless of signings he needs to add something personally.

Its not even just that but if we aint going all in, because of clubs vision, for better or worse, is he the guy? And I don't blame him for that, but for me its clear, as he has said, we are going for youth and development, if he is not the guy for that hen why carry on?
I don't think that's strictly true...he's getting £50m players as well, and the likes of Kulu and Bentancur don't really need developing.

I would have a problem backing him now in this transfer window. And if he was as genuine as he likes to make himself out to be, he would not only understand that but be totally on board.

I have to admit that I'm not sure there's a redemption arc on the horizon here, but who knows? Scum stuck with Arteta and it paid off for them, so maybe there's something to be learned there. Or maybe not. Who knows. Football is confusing. :p

I have to admit that I'm not sure there's a redemption arc on the horizon here, but who knows? Scum stuck with Arteta and it paid off for them, so maybe there's something to be learned there. Or maybe not. Who knows. Football is confusing. :p

Arteta was signed up to a long contract early doors and always spoke of the project - in fairness to Conte he has said it will take time to get the squad where it needs to be but he hasn't given any indication that he is going to be the one to see it through.

I would have a problem backing him now in this transfer window. And if he was as genuine as he likes to make himself out to be, he would not only understand that but be totally on board.

Unless he makes it explicitly clear that he's staying longer term, new contract and all the backing of him has to be with the possibility of a change in mind.

A wing back that can play as a full back. Goalkeeper that can fit different systems etc.

It's possible to back him and also make the squad better for a potential manager taking his place. But it makes it more difficult. No easy job for Paratici.

Back