• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Antonio Conte - officially NOT the coach of THFC

In terms of individual contribution it’s difficult to make a case for him not be providing the most, but I don’t see how any member of the team can criticise him given their own performances. He’d walk into most positions in the team imo.

People were talking about building a team around Son because he hasn’t been considering his options but if he’s our second best contributor it shows the gap we have - even with a drop off he’s still way out there.

He may be too big for us and that’s why we won’t keep him, but I do think we will be worse without him. Partly because I don’t trust our recruitment and partly because of his replacement hit anything like his numbers they will be getting tapped up by bigger fish.

I’m totally with you on free kicks though, that’s got to be on the manager(s) though?

What telling contributions has he made, show me trophies.
We got to a CL final without him and tanked in it with him.
I would have no hesitation in selling son either tbh.
There's obviously something going on in the dressing room, it has been since poch days, we are running out of candidates.
This isn't working, hasn't been for a while, time to move on.

Something broke up when Mourinho was sacked. Right or wrong, it's obvious that Kane was very upset and if I remember correctly, he hinted in that infamous interview that some players were willing to do whatever was asked of them to reach the top and others weren't.

To their credit, the club did try to get rid of some of the usual suspects but it's quite obvious that some of our players just don't have it in them to compete at the highest level. It's got nothing to do with their ability - it's all in the head. There's no point in trying to guess who they are. Our past four managers have to know. I said it before: it's the 90s all over again. The only difference is that we've had some very good managers over the past few years, which wasn't the case before. Unfortunately, they're too good for our players.

From our past experience, I'd say there isn't much we can do about it, except wait for a few years until they're all gone and try to replace them with better professionnals. We need to do what Pochettino did at the start of his tenure.

Nobody has managed to get a tune out of these players for almost five years now. There's a very long road ahead of us, I believe. It would be great to keep Conte but regardless, we're looking at a couple of years of mid-table mediocrity at the very least.

Good post Mr G.
Regarding the players who’ve been here a long time I think there’s significant trauma left over from ultimately failing under Poch.
To completely transform the mentality of a squad and club is a hell of a task for Conte and Paratici. Maybe impossible. Unfortunately it might be that we won’t be able to move on until the last remnants of those years are gone.

Something broke up when Mourinho was sacked. Right or wrong, it's obvious that Kane was very upset and if I remember correctly, he hinted in that infamous interview that some players were willing to do whatever was asked of them to reach the top and others weren't.

To their credit, the club did try to get rid of some of the usual suspects but it's quite obvious that some of our players just don't have it in them to compete at the highest level. It's got nothing to do with their ability - it's all in the head. There's no point in trying to guess who they are. Our past four managers have to know. I said it before: it's the 90s all over again. The only difference is that we've had some very good managers over the past few years, which wasn't the case before. Unfortunately, they're too good for our players.

From our past experience, I'd say there isn't much we can do about it, except wait for a few years until they're all gone and try to replace them with better professionnals. We need to do what Pochettino did at the start of his tenure.

Nobody has managed to get a tune out of these players for almost five years now. There's a very long road ahead of us, I believe. It would be great to keep Conte but regardless, we're looking at a couple of years of mid-table mediocrity at the very least.

I keep hearing things like 'Nobody has managed to get a tune out of these players for almost five years now', but for me that ignores that there have been loads of player changes over that time! E.g. last night we had Sessegnon, Romero, Royal, Hojbjerg, Kulusevski, Bentancur - all new players to varying degrees.

Jesus Christ. "We should sell Kane and Son"???

Seriously?

I despair. Are we trying to become Watford. This always happens, people saying we should chuck the baby with the bathwater. Kane and Son are two top players. Sons shown incredible loyalty by spending the best years of his career here and signing a new contract. Harry showed on Saturday that he's different class to pretty much every player in the league.

But we should get rid...

I keep hearing things like 'Nobody has managed to get a tune out of these players for almost five years now', but for me that ignores that there have been loads of player changes over that time! E.g. last night we had Sessegnon, Romero, Royal, Hojbjerg, Kulusevski, Bentancur - all new players to varying degrees.

the core, and the leadership in the dressing room, is still the same, Lloris, Kane, Son, Winks, Moura, Dier

that's enough of a clique to spread a culture of acceptance of failure

Jesus Christ. "We should sell Kane and Son"???

Seriously?

I despair. Are we trying to become Watford. This always happens, people saying we should chuck the baby with the bathwater. Kane and Son are two top players. Sons shown incredible loyalty by spending the best years of his career here and signing a new contract. Harry showed on Saturday that he's different class to pretty much every player in the league.

But we should get rid...

the issue with that analogy, is that we've refilled the bath with clean water multiple times, and it gets filthy straight away, the baby is the problem

But you are only pointing out the 1 or 2 bad things? Southampton and Wolves were all over us, that to me is the set up and it never changed.
100percent agree. Conte for me is responsible for those losses. The Southampton one - it was clear that we needed someone or a tactical change to stop those crosses being whipped in. This is the PL. You do not give players with crossing quality that amount of space. Did Conte learn? No - he repeated the same fvcking tactic vs Wolves.

I am giving him time but this run confirms something for me - I much prefer Jose Mourinho.

the core, and the leadership in the dressing room, is still the same, Lloris, Kane, Son, Winks, Moura, Dier

that's enough of a clique to spread a culture of acceptance of failure

You think Kane is part of a clique that spreads a culture of acceptance and failure?

The fact that we agreed a fee for Luis Diaz might suggest we’re planning for life beyond Son sooner rather than later.

You think Kane is part of a clique that spreads a culture of acceptance and failure?
I think what he may be getting at with Kane is that whether he questions himself as much as he does with others.

I do think there is something in there about people like Son and Kane being here too long and part of this general stink and feeling sorry for our/themselves, that they’ve spent the peak of their careers here and don’t have any pots to show for it. Subconsciously maybe, if not consciously.

The stories leaked about Kane’s future / the summer surely have the potential to spread discord among the squad ie is he in it for the longer term? Are we all pulling in the same direction? That’s just one example where you could legitimately ask that Kane being here is part of the problem. You can argue to what extent it is, but I think it’s a legitimate question to debate.

I think what he may be getting at with Kane is that whether he questions himself as much as he does with others.

I do think there is something in there about people like Son and Kane being here too long and part of this general stink and feeling sorry for our/themselves that they’ve spent the peak of their careers here and don’t have any pots to show for it. Subconsciously maybe, if not consciously.

Yes, I'm suggesting they have settled for that, the final losses and failed title challenges have stuck in their head, the expectation of winning has gone, they just go through the motions, they don't believe they will win.

I think Kane is yet to prove he is a winner when it comes to trophies. He can score a lot of goals or lovely goals. But crunch time, give me a Samuel Eto'o or Drogba. Some of them may not be so prolific. However I have no question about how they perform in finals.

I do think there is something in there about people like Son and Kane being here too long and part of this general stink and feeling sorry for our/themselves, that they’ve spent the peak of their careers here and don’t have any pots to show for it. Subconsciously maybe, if not consciously.

The stories leaked about Kane’s future / the summer surely have the potential to spread discord among the squad ie is he in it for the longer term? Are we all pulling in the same direction? That’s just one example where you could legitimately ask that Kane being here is part of the problem. You can argue to what extent it is, but I think it’s a legitimate question to debate.

I think that's all fair. I personally wanted us to sell Kane in the summer - partly for his sake, but also for some of the kinds of reasons you give here. Saying that, he now seems more committed to the cause, and personally I don't think he's a part of our current issues.

I think Kane is yet to prove he is a winner when it comes to trophies. He can score a lot of goals or lovely goals. But crunch time, give me a Samuel Eto'o or Drogba. Some of them may not be so prolific. However I have no question about how they perform in finals.

Put Kane in peak Chelsea and Barca/Inter sides and he'd have a trophy haul equal to or greater than either of those players

Back