• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Another shooting in Murica

"Guns don't kill people, people kill people" is a fascinating statement to me.

Sure, you can argue that it's factually correct, but it's also entirely irrelevant to any meaningful conversation about people being shot to death. So I can only assume people using it don't want to have that meaningful conversation.

It's such a loose argument too because yes people kill people but if you arm an army of people the have the ability to kill masses of people, you give someone a gun they have the ability to kill a large number, you take that away and sure they would find other ways but them having to find other ways would be prevention enough to start.

You can then start to address the obvious lack of mental health treatment or attention to yhe mind in places like the US, something the Scandis have also go alot better.

Americans not seeing guns as a problem honestly astounds me

Absolutely me initial thoughts. If that's come from their parents storage then I hope the parents get sent down too

I dont know about home security of guns in UK or USA but at the company I worked at we had to have all the firearms in a storeroom with steel door and kept in separate cabinets from ammunition, bit ott for home I expect.

I dont know about home security of guns in UK or USA but at the company I worked at we had to have all the firearms in a storeroom with steel door and kept in separate cabinets from ammunition, bit ott for home I expect.

In the states I've been to they have had lock and key laws, Boston definately did.

Not sure about the rest of the US

Wowzers mate, I bet the mood there is mad

Closest I have come to a situation like that was a guy pulled a gun in Croydon in a gang fight but thankfully never pulled it, the atmosphere after that was bizarre for weeks and it caused a ripple, GHod knows what it must be like to be near an mass killing

I think the most disturbing thing is that whilst sad, the mood is generally, ‘tomorrow’s Wednesday’…awful…my daughter was on lock down in a classroom yesterday, yet aside from obviously feeling gratitude she is fine and sorrow for those who died, it simply seems that until this country changes its philosophy on guns, with the added lunacy in today’s world generally, these horrific incidents are going to happen. That is as f-u-c-k-e-d as anything, the realization that this place is not about to radically shift gunlaws to make things like this virtually impossible. The truth is, wrong place wrong time has never been a greater possibility than now.

You do know that many, many millions of people in the US do not think like this, right?!

Yes completely aware Steff. I’ve got family that have lived in various parts of the states since the late 80s. And have a cousin who emigrated to Florida in 2016. I’ve also visited the states many times and would say hands down it’s my favourite country to travel to. But they disappoint me so much. Well, the half of the country that doesn’t believe in climate change or that people should have the right to NOT get shot and killed whilst at school, funerals, the cinema or whilst celebrating Chinese new year. I don’t see anything changing in my lifetime. There’s been literally thousands of mass shootings in my lifetime in the states and nothing has changed. Sandy Hook should have been a wake up call and a catalyst to change the gun laws but it seems no event is grave enough change the minds of the red states. Even now I’m trying to think what’s the one setting where a mass shooting could occur that would hit home for conservatives and the first thought that comes to my mind is a church given how religious they are but there’s no doubt already been dozens of shootings at churches. I really hope they eventually see sense but I can’t see it my lifetime mate.

I think the most disturbing thing is that whilst sad, the mood is generally, ‘tomorrow’s Wednesday’…awful…my daughter was on lock down in a classroom yesterday, yet aside from obviously feeling gratitude she is fine and sorrow for those who died, it simply seems that until this country changes its philosophy on guns, with the added lunacy in today’s world generally, these horrific incidents are going to happen. That is as f-u-c-k-e-d as anything, the realization that this place is not about to radically shift gunlaws to make things like this virtually impossible. The truth is, wrong place wrong time has never been a greater possibility than now.

So sad mate, hope you and family are well in all this, especially the little one who has to lock down. Its amazing how the emphasis is on the "protect myself and my family" justification thats often trotted out yet you rarely read where a gun has done just that and worked to protect.

So sad mate, hope you and family are well in all this, especially the little one who has to lock down. Its amazing how the emphasis is on the "protect myself and my family" justification thats often trotted out yet you rarely read where a gun has done just that and worked to protect.

Indeed and well said. I work on the theory that guns attract guns. Never had one, never will. The man who took the gun from the shooter in SoCal fought the bloke off and critically, did not use the gun he had taken from said-bloke on said-bloke. A tremendous feat really. One step at a time.

Yes completely aware Steff. I’ve got family that have lived in various parts of the states since the late 80s. And have a cousin who emigrated to Florida in 2016. I’ve also visited the states many times and would say hands down it’s my favourite country to travel to. But they disappoint me so much. Well, the half of the country that doesn’t believe in climate change or that people should have the right to NOT get shot and killed whilst at school, funerals, the cinema or whilst celebrating Chinese new year. I don’t see anything changing in my lifetime. There’s been literally thousands of mass shootings in my lifetime in the states and nothing has changed. Sandy Hook should have been a wake up call and a catalyst to change the gun laws but it seems no event is grave enough change the minds of the red states. Even now I’m trying to think what’s the one setting where a mass shooting could occur that would hit home for conservatives and the first thought that comes to my mind is a church given how religious they are but there’s no doubt already been dozens of shootings at churches. I really hope they eventually see sense but I can’t see it my lifetime mate.

A bloody mass shooting with mass casualties at the republican national assembly or at the NRA annual meeting, perhaps? I don't wish harm on anyone, but that would probably be my best bet for a shooting that could lead to change - it would certainly hit home with the gun nutters, at least.

A bloody mass shooting with mass casualties at the republican national assembly or at the NRA annual meeting, perhaps? I don't wish harm on anyone, but that would probably be my best bet for a shooting that could lead to change - it would certainly hit home with the gun nutters, at least.

Yeah but could go either way as they would all be armed if it happened at an NRA meeting or convention. They could shoot the perpetrator dead before he (I say “he” because it’s almost always a man) took anyone out which would prove them right in their heads as they routinely say society would be safer if everyone carried a gun. Or they’d fire back and cause mayhem and accidentally maim or kill more people than would have died in the first place.

Yeah but could go either way as they would all be armed if it happened at an NRA meeting or convention. They could shoot the perpetrator dead before he (I say “he” because it’s almost always a man) took anyone out which would prove them right in their heads as they routinely say society would be safer if everyone carried a gun. Or they’d fire back and cause mayhem and accidentally maim or kill more people than would have died in the first place.

Yeah, hence the "mass casualties" phrase - it would be a proper counter argument against their rethoric if a congregation of armed gun nutters couldn't stop a lone gunman from causing serious harm. Or if they in their trigger happy defensive state actually caused more harm themselves.

Back