• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Annus Horribilis 2011/2012 .............................

except when we were winning of course. Norwich game for instance? and the QPR home game too

Just play him on the left and we'd probably have beat them two anyway! My point is that his roaming cost us at least a win this season. Can't blame anyone but ourselves.

so harry is a victim of his own success then?

Yep. No nice way to say it, but yep. Everton fans, for example, are getting tired of Moyes and his faults, despite most other people in the league agreeing that he's done a great job there. Harry is the same.

Sure, another top four finish in the bag. We might not get CL, but we're the fourth best team in the land again. And that's good. But at what point do you stop satisfying yourself with the status quo and aim higher, though? or is it too presumptious to do so? I'm honestly wondering about it.

Maybe climbing into third wasn't such a great thing after all, seeing as almost everyone (including me) instantly raised our expectations as we saw the team going 7, 10, 12, then 13 points clear of Le Arse at that stage.

isn't you calling me an asshole abuse? i am simply mystified by some of the 'fans' on this board, it's ridiculous.. and the majority of the responses in this thread back me up, so excuse me for being frank, but in this situation i feel like it's called for.

thats it? you realise you're being provocative for no reason so you do the playground switcharoo .

jjeeeeez,

majority of the responses in this thread? its been less than a page so far and you have two generals, usual suspects, from one side and you think thats proof of something

Meh. Can't really fault Harry, in the end, but can't really cheer his good work either. We've achieved our season objective, but we could (and should) have done so, so much more.

Ambivalence is the word I want. Yes, I'm ambivalent towards the job he's done. He's made mistakes, and he's had his decent moments.

If we want sustained improvement, though, we should probably look elsewhere.

If we're happy with challenging for the top four and occasionally getting there, however...then he's fine.

Three full seasons, and got 4th twice - 2/3 isn't occassional. So where do you think we should be challenging? Title challengers every year?

Just play him on the left and we'd probably have beat them two anyway! My point is that his roaming cost us at least a win this season. Can't blame anyone but ourselves.
my point is that his roaming won us more than one game...can't blame anyone but harry for that

I agree with the thread titke, sadly.

But at the beginning of the season I'd have sanpped your hands off if you'd told me we'd finish 4th.

However, blowing 3rd place and all the advantages it would have given us (better ability to attract transfer targets EARLIER, better planning for the income of CL, NLD gloating rights etc etc) means it has a bitter taste to what should be an achievement for Harry.
Sadly, he'll get the 'bottling it' label that our club has had in the last 50 years or so...

Two times in three full seasons? That's occasionally? fudge me, I'm logging out of here for the evening. I am off to ENJOY the fact that we've just finished in the top four for only the SEVENTH time since I have been alive! I turn 37 tomorrow.

Happy birthday, hope you enjoy it.

Personally I might see things differently when Bayern blast Chelsea away, but that's just me.

And yes, occasionally. "happening as occasion presents itself, without regularity."

'Regularity' is what the Arse have, with regards to their constant finishes above us. We, on the other hand, are relying on Bayern to let us into the CL. Ergo, we are not 'regular' entrants. Simple as that.

But at the beginning of the season I'd have sanpped your hands off if you'd told me we'd finish 4th.

However, blowing 3rd place and all the advantages it would have given us (better ability to attract transfer targets EARLIER, better planning for the income of CL, NLD gloating rights etc etc) means it has a bitter taste to what should be an achievement for Harry.
Sadly, he'll get the 'bottling it' label that our club has had in the last 50 years or so...

what you're invariably saying is that you would rather not succeed because you can't take failure. you'd be happier being safe and consistent

i know you'll say that it isnt what you are saying but it is. we dared to reach third and really FLY...then we came crashing down and now you see this in a negative light cause you've been shown something better and didnt get to take it home.

no backups for lennon
bale as CF.
mid season transfers out without better replacements

need to look at the basics of what makes a good football team; there's so much that "wheeling and dealing" will get you.

so you happily blame Harry / the club I take it because of decisions that you perceive to have been wrong, yet we have no way of knowing if doing it any other way would have been any different.

yet the fact that Ade had 4 goals wrongly chalked off is ignored? 3 of those goals were winners iirc, and as such would have given us the extra points that we needed - so, games that, in truth, we legitimately won - managed by Harry.

the lines are so fine - had Fulop only gifted 2 goals, not 3 today - it would have been different, yet Harry is the easy target.

Happy birthday, hope you enjoy it.

Personally I might see things differently when Bayern blast Chelsea away, but that's just me.

And yes, occasionally. "happening as occasion presents itself, without regularity."

'Regularity' is what the Arse have, with regards to their constant finishes above us. We, on the other hand, are relying on Bayern to let us into the CL. Ergo, we are not 'regular' entrants. Simple as that.

without adding to the answer i'm asking for......just answer me this

start of the season would you have been ecstatic with 4th place. Yes or no (do your BEST-est Besty not to say one thing then add the 'but' statement)

Meh. Can't really fault Harry, in the end, but can't really cheer his good work either. We've achieved our season objective, but we could (and should) have done so, so much more.

Ambivalence is the word I want. Yes, I'm ambivalent towards the job he's done. He's made mistakes, and he's had his decent moments.

If we want sustained improvement, though, we should probably look elsewhere.

If we're happy with challenging for the top four and occasionally getting there, however...then he's fine.

mate, take a step back and look at the graph - this is sustained improvement.

Three full seasons, and got 4th twice - 2/3 isn't occassional. So where do you think we should be challenging? Title challengers every year?

I'd like us to be challenging for the title every year, certainly. Other than that, I expect the team to live up to their potential.

Do you honestly believe that fourth is the highest that this team, under Harry's management, can achieve? Was the highest we could aim for this season?

Third was ours, and we blew it.

But enough. I'm not bashing Harry, I've gotten a bit jaded by it. I'm satisfied, no more, no less. I'll be depressed if Bayern lose, but hey ho, the world hates us and that isn't going to change.

I'm reminded of something I once said about him, though. The reason so many Spurs supporters are hesitant to fully back him is not because he's completely incompetent (he isn't), but precisely because he keeps showing us tantalising glimpses of his ability and glimpses of glory for Spurs, before letting his own flaws destroy said glimpses, or at least severely degrade them. He raises our hopes beyond what we originally have, and then dashes them down again.

mate, take a step back and look at the graph - this is sustained improvement.

i think he might want the curve on the graph to be steeper to the positive.

i hope harry keeps his job, cause i fear that the next guy might not do as well....the fans will blame levy, harry and father chirstmas before they accept that maybe we shouldnt look a gift horse in the mouth

without adding to the answer i'm asking for......just answer me this

start of the season would you have been ecstatic with 4th place. Yes or no (do your BEST-est Besty not to say one thing then add the 'but' statement)

Yep. Happy?

I gather you'll want an explanation, though, so here; human nature means that when expectations are raised, old hopes become less appealing than they originally did.

Those heady days in February, when the team was rocketing along, Mind the Gap posters were springing up everywhere, Hazard was talking us up as a perfect destination, the press was salivating over our magnificent, flowing football...those days were fantastic. And the reason I'm less chuffed than I should be is precisely because I'm disappointed we threw it all away, is all.

what you're invariably saying is that you would rather not succeed because you can't take failure. you'd be happier being safe and consistent

i know you'll say that it isnt what you are saying but it is. we dared to reach third and really FLY...then we came crashing down and now you see this in a negative light cause you've been shown something better and didnt get to take it home.

Perhaps. :D
But it's the reasons we failed to get 3rd that taste bitter:
- poor mid-season buys,
- poor fitness when actually we haven't had fixture congestion of ANY kind (e.g. Arsenal game)
- poor squad rotation
- lack of a clearly identified plan B
- the ease in which teams can nullify us by parking the bus

Basically the same reasons we missed out on CL last year. It does feel that we've learnt from failing last year and have been pipped by frankly a poor Arsenal side, plus Chelski are/were in turmoil.

We had to ****-up BIG TIME not to get 3rd this season.

The big problem we have is that, even if we make the CL, then the qualifier will be in mid August and therefore Levy will be reluctant to spend until he knows what competition we'll be in. It was exactly the same two years ago.

This is it for me, no Redknapp out campaign just the fact that going by last time we will not be decisive in the transfer market until we qualify for real, which will possibly be too late. Also the fact that had we stopped Arsenal from qualifying that RvP would leave for sure giving us a better shot at trying to finish top 4 next year.

And we have no one to congratulate but ourselves.

However we got there, fourth after the season this has been is a helluva achievement.

Well done THFC.

Official P***ed Off Thread

(Annoying optimists aren't welcome here)

I remember in December there was one night when I was watching SSN and they were singing songs of praise in our name, and how we were by far playing the best football in the league, and it was unfortunate we had lost our first 2 games as we should have been top of the league at that point with the beautiful football we were playing. I thought we'd finish 3rd easily and comfortably. Don't start on the "over-achievement" gonad*s. We should have finished 3rd. If we had earned one more bloody point off somewhere! If we had dropped one point less, then today wouldn't have been St Totteringham's Day. Yes, we had a hard run and we should have expected to drop points, but there were many points we shouldn't have dropped. And yes, all teams drop stupid points, but 6 points from 9 games is taking the tinkle a little bit. Pre-season expectations mean nothing, because we didn't know what we were capable of pre-season. After we lost to Arsenal our beautiful style of football had stopped. What a joke 2nd half of a season. Now I have to support a bloody German team next week!

Back