• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andros Townsend

TBF Jord, our play was well off the pace in the second half. I don't think Townsend added much, but he certainly didn't take much away either.

Agreed. I'm not the biggest Townsend fan but he added some much needed pace in the second half. We looked a bit too pedestrian today, and they had time to get men behind the ball. No co-incidence that our best chance came on the counter.

You are right on the pace thing, he isn't super quick or anything but he isn't afraid to try to get to the byline and sling in a cross, something that we could've tried once they sat deep.

I'm with Jordinho and argued the same thing for years, townsend IS NOT FAST! He's direct, decent acceleration, but he isn't fast. The guy is truly awful and I'm pretty confident he won't be with us next season.

Haha there was definitely one burst of pace that got him fouled and us a free kick on the right side of the box.

Unless I'm mistaken the player that fouled him was Mario Gomez. I don't think you need genuine pace to burst past him.

I don't think the point was that Townsend is slow, just that he's not genuinely rapid like some players are.

Unless I'm mistaken the player that fouled him was Mario Gomez. I don't think you need genuine pace to burst past him.

I don't think the point was that Townsend is slow, just that he's not genuinely rapid like some players are.

Townsend isn't a genuine pace merchant, but he has got something about him when running with the ball because defenders don't tend to catch up with him....

I'm with Jordinho and argued the same thing for years, townsend IS NOT FAST! He's direct, decent acceleration, but he isn't fast. The guy is truly awful and I'm pretty confident he won't be with us next season.

While I am not a fan in any form, and would have been ecstatic if we had sold him in the summer, in the queue of awfulness... Andros has lots and lots of players in front of him.

So FFS LAY OFF the guy!!

I remember a few times when Townsend was playing against three guys, without much of a way out yet there not really being anyone in the box. Then suddenly Salah will have it in a one on one footface against Chiriches, frustrating.

He is a show pony who does not seem to be improving his game, he has played over 70 games for us and is still a head down and run merchant then stop and come back again.

Has had a better season than our 2 most expensive signings, he's still only 23, and I'd be willing to give him another year.

Has had a better season than our 2 most expensive signings, he's still only 23, and I'd be willing to give him another year.

how do you define better?

recent stats have shown him as being our least effective forward player, by some distance iirc

I must say I don't think Townsend has been that bad to be honest, a lot of criticism he gets on here is justified but at the same time it goes a bit OTT. He does occupy defenders, even if what he's trying doesn't come off which can help other areas of the team.

I've got a feeling he wont be sold in the summer, I think Poch sees something in him for the long term and his age combined with his attitude/worth ethic and fact he is 'homegrown' will mean he is kept a while longer to see if he will blossom...

I would probably as well simply because we now have a decent coaching team. Townsend is pretty brain dead however he's two footed, a good dribbler at pace and strikes the ball cleanly (albeit at the moment not always where you would want it to go!).

Those qualities arent a bad starting point for a young-ish winger...just a question whether he can be coached out of his flaws

Back