• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andros Townsend

Don't mean to thread hijack, but if Sandro returns and we get a Moutinho type player, then Carroll absolutely needs to go on loan.

Challenge is Carroll will have less options, he needs a team that tries to play football to develop in, Swansea might be a good fit.

Absolutely agree, he has something there that means he could become a "carrick" type player but it is an important time for him and he needs the games to continue progressing, townsend less so but depending on what we do in the summer he may need another loan.

For me townsend should be our player on the left next year with a good quality back up who can play a few positions. Thing about townsend is he has looked alright on the right wing, just like liverore looked ok at right back, nice to see our players can play in more then one positon.

As I've said before, think he's on the same talent level as Tom Ince.
Not sure we need to sign any wide men as we have a lot of people coming through in those positions:
Townsend, Pritchard, Ceballos, McEvoy, Falque (?)
Have faith in these kid and focus our spending where we need it more.

Townsend has perhaps a bit of tunnel vision which hopefully will improve with experience.
What I do like about him though is that whether he play on the right or the left, he has two good feet, can go either inside for a shot or outside for a cross.

Remember the blinder he had for us in the FAC 3rd round against Charlton three years back when he scored a cracker and ran them ragged all across the park. People said it was only Charlton but he was exceptional yet it's been mostly loans ever since.

As with most youngsters it can also go the other way. Had a stinker for us earlier this the season and was taken off at HT, but it now looks like he's doing the bizz at QPR.

Hope he gets a decent chance next season to break through.

Was that the europa league game when falque came on?

thing is when a young player has a stinker we are prepared to write them off as no good but when a more experinced player does it we just say they are in a bad run of form or something similar.

thing is when a young player has a stinker we are prepared to write them off as no good but when a more experinced player does it we just say they are in a bad run of form or something similar.

I don't think it's the fact they are a young player, i think it's more that they have not had as many good appearances for us.

Dempsey is experienced, and started off badly and was written off. Yet he has shown that he is a good player for us.

yep, that was townsends only 'average' game for us, and because falque played well all of a sudden andros was "no good"

If he was not at spurs we would be calling to buy him, i love the guy think he has a bright future in the game. He is always looking to get involved already scored a few goals for qpr and gets a cross in quite often. I would imagine if we hold onto bale he will now always be played in central midfield as he looks at home there.

Townsend as our left winger with perhaps another winger who can play on either side like Greizmann as a back up to him and lennon and we are ready to go. People talk about ince as an 8m player but for me townsend has done more then him already. Think we can finally get rid of bentley and also now get rid of dempsey and siggy, have townsend out left and by a back up player of quality to cover the other 3 positions.

Think you're jumping the gun just a bit here...alot of the statements you've made are either incorrect, premature or short-sighted. What exactly is you're justification for getting rid of Siggurdson? He just seems to have turned a corner, he's a young player who we spent a fair amount of money on, yet you think it wise to write off £15m on him and dempsey based on a couple of good games by townsend? I like him alot, but I have doubts about whether his all-round game makes him an immediate automatic choice for us, in the system that we play. And there's debate as to whether bale "will now always be played in central midfield".

Last edited:
I saw him at youth level a number of times - both for Spurs and England U 16's - and he always impressed me even then.

But I first thought that he might have a real shot of making it as a Premier League player when we played Arsenal in the FA Youth Cup a few years ago, in front of 19,000 at WHL. We lost 3-0 (or 3-1?) and were largely outplayed. Most of our players froze on the big night. But Townsend relished the occasion. Always wanted the ball. Made brave decisions. Showed pace, skill and desire in spades. Gave his full back a torrid night. The only bright spot on an otherwise dark night.

There might have been more talented players on the team. But he was the only one who showed that he had the strong mentality and courage that all top players need if they are to make it in the game. It's a characteristic which also contributes to his main flaw at the moment - he sometimes believes in himself too much, tries to do too much and plays with his head down. I think that in time, though, it's a flaw he could iron out.

I saw him at youth level a number of times - both for Spurs and England U 16's - and he always impressed me even then.

But I first thought that he might have a real shot of making it as a Premier League player when we played Arsenal in the FA Youth Cup a few years ago, in front of 19,000 at WHL. We lost 3-0 and were largely outplayed. Most of our players froze on the big night. But Townsend relished the occasion. Always wanted the ball. Made brave decisions. Showed pace, skill and desire in spades. Gave his full back a torrid night. The only bright spot on an otherwise dark night.

There might have been more talented players on the team. But he was the only one who showed that he had the strong mentality and courage that all top players need if they are to make it in the game. It's a characteristic which also contributes to his main flaw at the moment - he sometimes believes in himself too much, tries to do too much and plays with his head down. I think that in time, though, it's a flaw he could iron out.

Agree. As i was reading your post i think that exact thing just happened...

Think you're jumping the gun just a bit here...alot of the statements you've made are either incorrect, premature or short-sighted. What exactly is you're justification for getting Siggurdson? He just seems to have turned a corner, he's a young player who we spent a fair amount of money on, yet you think it wise to write off £15m on him and dempsey based on a couple of good games by townsend? I like him alot, but I have doubts about whether his all-round game makes him an immediate automatic choice for us, in the system that we play. And there's debate as to whether bale "will now always be played in central midfield".

Well i like siggy so it is nothing personal with him but im hoping we keep bale and i see siggy as only playing really well in bales new position in central midfield, we would get our money back if not more for him, we turned down a bid from reading for him so we could use that money elsewhere.

For me it is midfield i have the biggest problem with at the moment, i would like townsend and lennon on the wings. Sandro and a new playmaker in central midfield i feel we are lacking a playmaker. Then bale as our free roaming midfield player, i really do not think dempsey is good enough for us which is why i would get rid of him. He is not a midfielder and not a striker i really do not think we need dempsey.

Siggy is not a bad player but he is a back up to bale and i want us to keep bale. I would look for bringing in a player who can cover both wings there are players round europe that can do this.

Looking alright in Fulham QPR.

Has a decent shot of him, though has better options on at times. Very direct, likes to take people on and gets past them quite often.

Well i like siggy so it is nothing personal with him but im hoping we keep bale and i see siggy as only playing really well in bales new position in central midfield, we would get our money back if not more for him, we turned down a bid from reading for him so we could use that money elsewhere.

For me it is midfield i have the biggest problem with at the moment, i would like townsend and lennon on the wings. Sandro and a new playmaker in central midfield i feel we are lacking a playmaker. Then bale as our free roaming midfield player, i really do not think dempsey is good enough for us which is why i would get rid of him. He is not a midfielder and not a striker i really do not think we need dempsey.

Siggy is not a bad player but he is a back up to bale and i want us to keep bale. I would look for bringing in a player who can cover both wings there are players round europe that can do this.

Fair enough. Im not convinced by all of this "bale in central midfield" stuff, certainly not convinced enough to talk about selling our other options in that area. I think I get your argument, and agree with it in the main, but your distinctions between player roles are quite confusing. So what you're suggesting is

Sandro [New playmaker]
Lennon Bale Townsend
[Striker]

Isnt that all a bit direct i.e lacking a bit of guile? And can you really see Townsend and Bale in the same team? Townsend has always struck me as a cross between Bale and Lennon, so i struggle to see how you successfully fit all three into a team that is geared towards playing possession football, AND have a playmaker AND have enough cover in central midfield.

Fair enough. Im not convinced by all of this "bale in central midfield" stuff, certainly not convinced enough to talk about selling our other options in that area. I think I get your argument, and agree with it in the main, but your distinctions between player roles are quite confusing. So what you're suggesting is

Sandro [New playmaker]
Lennon Bale Townsend
[Striker]

Isnt that all a bit direct i.e lacking a bit of guile? And can you really see Townsend and Bale in the same team? Townsend has always struck me as a cross between Bale and Lennon, so i struggle to see how you successfully fit all three into a team that is geared towards playing possession football, AND have a playmaker AND have enough cover in central midfield.

my ideal midfield

Lennon Sandro (new playmaker) Townsend
Bale

Subs would be a new winger that could play both wings someone young and promising like greizmann, dembele who i like but not sure of his best position, holtby and another box to box midfielder like rode(young german very good)

Do not really see where dempsey fits with our style of play, not a striker and not really a midfielder only brought because levy likes deadline day. 2 quality strikers with defoe settling as 3rd choice and a playmaker are the vital signings, would not be upset if siggy stays as i was one that called for us to buy him but just think bale is better and if we can keep him then siggy wont play to much. Also if dembele can get more confidence he can play the bale role because he is good with running with the ball, just lacks confidence.

my ideal midfield

Lennon Sandro (new playmaker) Townsend
Bale

Subs would be a new winger that could play both wings someone young and promising like greizmann, dembele who i like but not sure of his best position, holtby and another box to box midfielder like rode(young german very good)

Do not really see where dempsey fits with our style of play, not a striker and not really a midfielder only brought because levy likes deadline day. 2 quality strikers with defoe settling as 3rd choice and a playmaker are the vital signings, would not be upset if siggy stays as i was one that called for us to buy him but just think bale is better and if we can keep him then siggy wont play to much. Also if dembele can get more confidence he can play the bale role because he is good with running with the ball, just lacks confidence.

So your team is about runners...sorry to say mate, but your a year too late, that was Harry's style, we've moved away from all of that now. The team you've put together above would be great on the counter, but imo we want to get away from just relying on pace and power. Especially in Europe...the type of central midfielder you're suggesting alongside sandro, with bale just in front of them, i think theyd get picked off too easily by street-wise teams.

Townsend is just a poor man's Bale, which makes him a funking good player. Can play left wing, right wing, off the striker, he'll get 20+ games for us next season and allow us to rotate the squad more.

Whatever formation or personnel we play next season, Dembele &Sandro have to be the pillars the team is built around. I think people are forgetting how bad-ass and invincible they looked together. I've rarely seen any team let alone spurs go to old Trafford and utterly dominate the midfield and possession like we did in that first half. You'll struggle to find a better midfield duo in the league. What we need alongside them is a Silva/Cazorla/Mata to be more creative and open up those stubborn defences.

So your team is about runners...sorry to say mate, but your a year too late, that was Harry's style, we've moved away from all of that now. The team you've put together above would be great on the counter, but imo we want to get away from just relying on pace and power. Especially in Europe...the type of central midfielder you're suggesting alongside sandro, with bale just in front of them, i think theyd get picked off too easily by street-wise teams.

Our team is very much pace/power (built around Bale/Lennon outlets), players that are either quick in motion or quick in passing, still think that is the core ideal of Spurs.

AVB has added discipline and greater emphasis on possession than Harry, but pace is still in key. I suspect anyone we buy in summer won't be slow

Whatever formation or personnel we play next season, Dembele &Sandro have to be the pillars the team is built around. I think people are forgetting how bad-ass and invincible they looked together. I've rarely seen any team let alone spurs go to old Trafford and utterly dominate the midfield and possession like we did in that first half. You'll struggle to find a better midfield duo in the league. What we need alongside them is a Silva/Cazorla/Mata to be more creative and open up those stubborn defences.

Bale/Lennon, Dembele/Sandro, strength in middle, width and pace out wide, add a striker that can actually score .....

Back