• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andros Townsend

As I just posted in another thread.. How about Townsend behind Soldado instead of Sig.. It worked with Bale..

Townsend seems to thrive when there's space to run into. In general there will be less space in the centre. A bit like Bale I suppose, but I think Bale developed better close control before moving centrally.

Not saying it won't work or that it will never work, but I think it's a bit early for that. I think getting some games in a position he has proven himself in first of all will do him good.

Most likely we'll see quite a bit of fluidity from our attacking players anyway and Townsend likes cutting inside from the right so if a more central role is right for him I think he can prove it from the left if that makes sense.

Are we somehow not allowed to express opinions? Twould be a very dull board if all we were allowed to state were facts.

To slavishly say the manager is right in all his decisions is equally fallacious and demonstrably untrue. He made many mistakes last season.

On this board, Lennon scored points between 5 and 7 point ratings against CP (average of just over 6).Townsend scored between 8.5 and 10 against Dinamo and was everybody's man of the match.Those are facts.

Opinions are great, especially when you give other people the chance to express theirs.

Then there's either a problem with my ability to communicate my opinion or your ability to comprehend what I'm writing.

Either we should probably leave it at that and stop going around in circles.

I agree. But I am confused about one point. Do you think Townsend or Lennon should start against Swansea?

Townsend seems to thrive when there's space to run into. In general there will be less space in the centre. A bit like Bale I suppose, but I think Bale developed better close control before moving centrally.

Not saying it won't work or that it will never work, but I think it's a bit early for that. I think getting some games in a position he has proven himself in first of all will do him good.

Most likely we'll see quite a bit of fluidity from our attacking players anyway and Townsend likes cutting inside from the right so if a more central role is right for him I think he can prove it from the left if that makes sense.

townsend seems to have a better ability in tight spaces than lennon to me.

Just hope he's not in our first choice 11 come September otherwise our transfer activity will have well and truly failed! He has promise but we can't afford to rely on him yet if we want to move up

lennon to start against swansea. the man is one of the scariest wingers in the premiership and is the only player that we can consistently use to get behind the defense with little yardage

really?

am with BE here, i think townsend needs room

lennon used to do it a whole lot but seldom attempts anything except running past the player once the ball is through.

townsend seems to relish getting into tight spaces, and sometimes to his detriment.

His modus operandi seems to be: drag the player out, tempt him to tackle and then skip over him

Another interesting thing to ponder is that the biggest winner in all this Bale-Willian **** has been Townshend. I've already held my hand up and said I was surprised at the boy's ability to engage on a different level, up his passing game/decision making and show some real grit, balls and desire to work his nuts off for a spot (same for Rose to be fair - two players I thought were afflicted with 'contentment' syndrome) and he MUST be looking at all this, especially given his performance Thursday, and thinking that his moment has arrived big-style. Not only must he be confident, I see him pushing Lennon big-style onto another level of performance (Aaron always takes a couple of games to really hit stride and thus I expect him to be in full flow by the Goons)...

I wonder if AVB will see whether he can mould Townshend to play a more central role in behind Soldado like he was planning for Bale a little further into the season? It has to be crossing his mind, especially given the fact the boy's decision-making appears to have improved? As an option off the bench it would make him a real threat in a couple of different ways?

Be interested in some return thoughts.

Interesting comment from a mod.

...and a human being. Who's allowed to express an opinion. What a boring place this would be if mods weren't allowed to express opinions. As for your assertions on Lennon and your thinly-veiled criticism of AVB, I heartily disagree.

Another interesting thing to ponder is that the biggest winner in all this Bale-Willian **** has been Townshend. I've already held my hand up and said I was surprised at the boy's ability to engage on a different level, up his passing game/decision making and show some real grit, balls and desire to work his nuts off for a spot (same for Rose to be fair - two players I thought were afflicted with 'contentment' syndrome) and he MUST be looking at all this, especially given his performance Thursday, and thinking that his moment has arrived big-style. Not only must he be confident, I see him pushing Lennon big-style onto another level of performance (Aaron always takes a couple of games to really hit stride and thus I expect him to be in full flow by the Goons)...

I wonder if AVB will see whether he can mould Townshend to play a more central role in behind Soldado like he was planning for Bale a little further into the season? It has to be crossing his mind, especially given the fact the boy's decision-making appears to have improved? As an option off the bench it would make him a real threat in a couple of different ways?

Be interested in some return thoughts.

He is one of our own....been at the club since he was 9, he is a spurs fan, There is massive hope on my part that he makes the grade and more.

In my view he has already had the turning point for the better imo, on loan at qpr. being part of that group cannot have been easy and by the looks of things the team spirit looked non existent. At QPR he showed not only a willingness to play but the desire to be a game changer...he was their driving force a player who got qpr fans off their feet where more expensive acquisitions had failed.

Yes I will probably be scoffed at but I see similarities between Townsend and Bale in their development curve, and I hope Townsend can have a great season.

His no fear direct dribbling is a joy to watch....if teams sit deep and park the bus then we might not have the eye of the needle passer to make some headway.....but if we can negate that by having a dribbler who can beat a man or two then we solve the problem. The more he plays (high profile games) the better, I think some games he will frustrate as things may not come off but I trust our ability to improve his as time goes by.

As for playing centrally why not, if we have an interchangeable 3 behind the main striker that will be better for us in the long run. As you say it could take time but its worth pursuing even if he is more likely to beat a man rather than play a killer pass.

One of our own, we would regret selling him, I think he will have a big year, even if we sign another winger.

There are my thoughts.....suck it!

[video=youtube;eoQqEuNuqNY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=eoQqEuNuqNY#t=176[/video]

He is one of our own....been at the club since he was 9, he is a spurs fan, There is massive hope on my part that he makes the grade and more.

In my view he has already had the turning point for the better imo, on loan at qpr. being part of that group cannot have been easy and by the looks of things the team spirit looked non existent. At QPR he showed not only a willingness to play but the desire to be a game changer...he was their driving force a player who got qpr fans off their feet where more expensive acquisitions had failed.

Yes I will probably be scoffed at but I see similarities between Townsend and Bale in their development curve, and I hope Townsend can have a great season.

His no fear direct dribbling is a joy to watch....if teams sit deep and park the bus then we might not have the eye of the needle passer to make some headway.....but if we can negate that by having a dribbler who can beat a man or two then we solve the problem. The more he plays (high profile games) the better, I think some games he will frustrate as things may not come off but I trust our ability to improve his as time goes by.

As for playing centrally why not, if we have an interchangeable 3 behind the main striker that will be better for us in the long run. As you say it could take time but its worth pursuing even if he is more likely to beat a man rather than play a killer pass.

One of our own, we would regret selling him, I think he will have a big year, even if we sign another winger.

There are my thoughts.....suck it!

=D>

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/334351/Andros-Townsend-wants-to-prove-he-is-the-new-wizard-of-White-Hart-Lane

And after copping an £18,000 fine and a suspension from the Football Association this summer for breaching betting rules, he is planning to prove his critics wrong.

Townsend said: "I had a rough summer but I have put that behind me. I am now even more determined to have a good season and get the doubters and the bad press off my back.

"That is what I will be looking to do whenever I get the chance. I have been at this club since I was eight and I am a Tottenham fan, so my main objective is to try and force my way into the team.

"I know it is difficult. We have got fantastic, world-class players. But my mind is just focussed on trying to score goals and play like I did against Dinamo.

"Would I consider another loan? For me, no. I am 22 - I need to focus and try and make the grade at Tottenham. I wouldn't consider another loan deal."

"Personally I feel I did very well at QPR and I have just got to take that confidence and experience on if I get given the chance this season at Spurs.

Last edited:
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/334351/Andros-Townsend-wants-to-prove-he-is-the-new-wizard-of-White-Hart-Lane

And after copping an £18,000 fine and a suspension from the Football Association this summer for breaching betting rules, he is planning to prove his critics wrong.

Well to be fair he is already on the path to doing so, and that includes me. So again, well done to the lad and here's hoping he becomes the consistent real deal. It appears to be within his range of abilities, let's hope he can capitalize...

p.s. I do remember sitting at Villa 'that' fateful afternoon wondering just why he wasn't chucked on the pitch with 10 mins to go and us battering them. It never made sense.

lennon used to do it a whole lot but seldom attempts anything except running past the player once the ball is through.

townsend seems to relish getting into tight spaces, and sometimes to his detriment.

His modus operandi seems to be: drag the player out, tempt him to tackle and then skip over him

i think we need to start a lennon watch thread, i find a lot of people on your wave length and i feel i am missing something...cause evertime lennon is isolated with his full backs he terrorises them IMO

I wouldn't be adverse to having Lennon, Towsend and Chadli in the same team. When he pops in spaces behind the striker Azza has show the ability to play nifty little dinked or through balls into space. In fact I've always believed that he would be better off in the centre as his close control and short burst of pace would be more useful there. Fullbacks are getting quicker nowadays and in longer sprints his little legs won't give him the edge. Give him three yards against a lumbering John Terry and we will see him shine.

Back