• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andros Townsend

Re: Nacer Chadli ***Official***

Caulker i remember saying was overrated a while back. His debut against Gooners where he got some very favourable comments on here despite being horrendous (his positioning was very very bad that game) was something that stood out but it was his debut so i gave him a pass.
I then saw him at Swansea and thought 'this guy really isn't good' but people kept posting up Swansea's defensive record as some sort of conclusive evidence that i was wrong and Caulker was very good. After seeing his performances last season i have come to the overall conclusion that he definitely isn't good enough to start, his decision making is poor, you rarely notice him (which isn't necessarily a bad thing) but he's good at attacking set pieces.

I think CB is one position in particular that you can learn and get a lot better with experience. King of course seemed to learn a lot from Naybet and came on leaps and bounds. I think with the right attitude and willingness to learn Caulker could yet still improve by some margin.

Caulker i remember saying was overrated a while back. His debut against Gooners where he got some very favourable comments on here despite being horrendous (his positioning was very very bad that game) was something that stood out but it was his debut so i gave him a pass.
I then saw him at Swansea and thought 'this guy really isn't good' but people kept posting up Swansea's defensive record as some sort of conclusive evidence that i was wrong and Caulker was very good. After seeing his performances last season i have come to the overall conclusion that he definitely isn't good enough to start, his decision making is poor, you rarely notice him (which isn't necessarily a bad thing) but he's good at attacking set pieces.

I've been the same since I first saw him. I wanted him to be good but my wantings don't grant wishes and he just isn't good. I would be surprised that he was called up by England but since Anthony Gardner was capped, it's just lowered the bar for International recognition in my mind.

That's partly why I've said, since the start of this transfer window, that I can see us bringing in a new defender, we need to, we can't rely on Caulker.

Do you think we should bin him off then?

No because he's English and good enough to be 4th choice. Plus i'd rather we focused on signing a striker rather then give Levy a reason to focus on other areas of the pitch.

With Caulker, I think of Kaboul during his first spell with us: Physically he had all the attributes to be a good defender, but his positioning and decision making was inconsistent, to say the least.

Then Kaboul returned from Portsmouth, and had matured massively, into a very good defender. I would give Caulker more time to develop before shipping him out - he might still turn really good.

Oh, and Chadri - don't know anything about him, but he looks like an interesting prospect!

With Caulker, I think of Kaboul during his first spell with us: Physically he had all the attributes to be a good defender, but his positioning and decision making was inconsistent, to say the least.

Then Kaboul returned from Portsmouth, and had matured massively, into a very good defender. I would give Caulker more time to develop before shipping him out - he might still turn really good.

Oh, and Chadri - don't know anything about him, but he looks like an interesting prospect!

I agree that Kaboul improved a LOT but he possesses pace, which helps. Caulker isn't the quickest off the blocks and I just don't see that he'll match the improvement made by Kaboul.

No because he's English and good enough to be 4th choice. Plus i'd rather we focused on signing a striker rather then give Levy a reason to focus on other areas of the pitch.

It will depend on whether he is happy being a squad player. This season I believe we may end up with a Spurs side with no English players in the first team. We'll make up our quota of English players with back up players. Next season I am almost sure of it. Now that Kaboul is back, Dawson's days are numbered. Huddlestone & Parker are as good as gone, and Lennon will be benched and may even be moved on in the January transfer window. Kyle Walker will be the lone English flag bearer but if he has another season like the last one he'll be on the radar to be replaced.

I've been the same since I first saw him. I wanted him to be good but my wantings don't grant wishes and he just isn't good. I would be surprised that he was called up by England but since Anthony Gardner was capped, it's just lowered the bar for International recognition in my mind.

That's partly why I've said, since the start of this transfer window, that I can see us bringing in a new defender, we need to, we can't rely on Caulker.

Caulker is a more than adequate sub and IMO he shall become first XI.

Caulker is a more than adequate sub and IMO he shall become first XI.

I don't think he will. He lost his place in the team last year, a place he only had because AVB couldn't pick Kaboul, and is at an age where he should be commanding a place now.

He is worth sticking with for a couple of seasons there is a chance he can improve, I personally have never rated him, he ball watches and his reading of the game is brick but he is athletic and young so lets hope he can blossom.
I don't think Caulker is athletic, he's not that much quicker than Daws. He does have very good technique for a CB though, and his decision making will improve with time.

I don't think he will. He lost his place in the team last year, a place he only had because AVB couldn't pick Kaboul, and is at an age where he should be commanding a place now.

:lol: How many 21 year old centre backs command a starting place at a club of Tottenham's quality/stature? Or ever have done? For example Piqué was a Man U reserve at 21...

:lol: How many 21 year old centre backs command a starting place at a club of Tottenham's quality/stature? Or ever have done? For example Piqué was a Man U reserve at 21...

A prime example on how average players can look good because of the quality in front of them.

He is worth sticking with for a couple of seasons there is a chance he can improve, I personally have never rated him, he ball watches and his reading of the game is brick but he is athletic and young so lets hope he can blossom.

Totally agree, he is easily turned around and seems to be in the wrong place too much of the time...

How ironic that you mention Kaboul because I remember when Kaboul was deemed not good enough for Spurs and he was sold to Portsmouth and now everyone belives he is an automatic starter when fit. It is amazing how myopic Tottenham cans can be when it comes to writing off young players

How ironic that you mention Kaboul because I remember when Kaboul was deemed not good enough for Spurs and he was sold to Portsmouth and now everyone belives he is an automatic starter when fit. It is amazing how myopic Tottenham cans can be when it comes to writing off young players

I agree.

Kaboul was WORSE than what Caulker was like last year. Kaboul was literally hopeless. Positionally awful, he had the worst concentration I have ever seen from a centre half and his timing was poor. I don't have a clue what happened but he improved those. Maybe it was experience of playing in a team battling relegation I have no idea but he is almost unrecognisable from the guy we saw in 2007-2008

Excellent point.

Kaboul's first stint at Spurs was terrible. When he returned he was not so good, either. I am not a massive fan but he is a decent to good EPL player right now.

Don't be a tease. Do you know something the rest of us don't?

I think it would be foolish to get rid of Townsend as he is still developing as a player. Next season he will be back up as a winger, and can see how he does when he plays. We are in 4 competitions and will need a squad size to reflect that

I suspect Steff might be hinting at John Bostock syndrome (off-field/attitude issues), rather than footballing ability per se.

I've always liked Towsend as a player and like the idea of him and Falque as our 5th and 6th choice wide players for this coming season.

I suspect Steff might be hinting at John Bostock syndrome (off-field/attitude issues), rather than footballing ability per se.

I've always liked Towsend as a player and like the idea of him and Falque as our 5th and 6th choice wide players for this coming season.

I like Townsend, too. I love watching him play for other teams. But when he plays for us he frustrates me.

Back