• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andros Townsend

I question your reasoning on the basis that Dier and Alli appear to be having an even quick rise

Agreed. Seems more the standard that anything else. More a question of having the talent and work rate to push on from getting that fairly early debut that seems to come fairly easy these days.

I question your reasoning on the basis that Dier and Alli appear to be having an even quick rise
I'm not getting your point here. How can Dier and Alli's inclusion in the international setup have an affect on Townsend?

The point I was trying to make is that the Townsend all of a sudden becoming a key player for England (remember Roy's feed the monkey quotes) may have has affected his club form. What happens to Dier and Alli is a different discussion.

I'm not getting your point here. How can Dier and Alli's inclusion in the international setup have an affect on Townsend?

The point I was trying to make is that the Townsend all of a sudden becoming a key player for England (remember Roy's feed the monkey quotes) may have has affected his club form. What happens to Dier and Alli is a different discussion.

I suppose the question is if you think it has such a negative effect on him, why wouldn't it have a negative effect on others? What is it about Townsend's situation that makes you think that was (part of) the reason it hasn't really worked out for him with us (so far)?

Seems like a lot of correlation without a causation to me. Townsend did get the relatively early call up to England, he then went on to disappoint for us. I don't really see a causal relationship there.

I suppose the question is if you think it has such a negative effect on him, why wouldn't it have a negative effect on others? What is it about Townsend's situation that makes you think that was (part of) the reason it hasn't really worked out for him with us (so far)?

Seems like a lot of correlation without a causation to me. Townsend did get the relatively early call up to England, he then went on to disappoint for us. I don't really see a causal relationship there.
Who knows? People are different.

It is only my opinion but it seemed to me that when hype surrounding Townsend was building his form was dropping off, almost like he was having to justify the hype every time he received the ball and more often than not making the wrong decision as a result. Is there a connection or not? Who on here can say.

Who knows? People are different.

It is only my opinion but it seemed to me that when hype surrounding Townsend was building his form was dropping off, almost like he was having to justify the hype every time he received the ball and more often than not making the wrong decision as a result. Is there a connection or not? Who on here can say.

Of course no one can say for sure. Just seems a strange way of looking at things from where I'm seeing things.

Townsend has quite a few problems. He looked at his best at QPR in a counter attacking side when given space to attack on the break. Looked decent for us in similar situations, particularly against somewhat inferior opposition in the EL. Has struggled all along against settled teams defending deep ish or only giving him blind alleys to run into. Makes too many poor decisions and his first touch keeps letting him down way too often.

That's pretty much been the case all along the way I see it. England success or not. I didn't see him all of a sudden becoming much worse after doing well for England, though probably I didn't rate him as highly as some before he got his appearances for England either.

I think he could come good for a more suitable team. Perhaps Leicester would be interested? Would be a rather interesting move, and their football and working under Ranieri might be a good fit for him.

I don't think it is that strange to say the added pressure might have got to him. Anyway I think his goose is cooked at Spurs and I'm sorry to see it didn't work out for him, like I am for any of our own kids.

Last edited:
Of course no one can say for sure. Just seems a strange way of looking at things from where I'm seeing things.

Townsend has quite a few problems. He looked at his best at QPR in a counter attacking side when given space to attack on the break. Looked decent for us in similar situations, particularly against somewhat inferior opposition in the EL. Has struggled all along against settled teams defending deep ish or only giving him blind alleys to run into. Makes too many poor decisions and his first touch keeps letting him down way too often.

That's pretty much been the case all along the way I see it. England success or not. I didn't see him all of a sudden becoming much worse after doing well for England, though probably I didn't rate him as highly as some before he got his appearances for England either.

I think he could come good for a more suitable team. Perhaps Leicester would be interested? Would be a rather interesting move, and their football and working under Ranieri might be a good fit for him.

I wonder what people would think if he went to Leicester and helped them win the title - or achieve top four instead of us!! Would that be sexy or what?

I wonder what people would think if he went to Leicester and helped them win the title - or achieve top four instead of us!! Would that be sexy or what?

I suggested it because I would think he's a much better fit for their style of football than for ours. And they might be looking to add some depth with PL experience to their squad in January. It's the kind of move he should be looking for imo. Instead of the biggest possible name or most amount of money he should look for a team with a style of football that suits him. And, to some extent, a manager that he thinks will be good for him.

I've pretty much decided that if Leicester get 4th and we don't this season I'll just tip my hat (first I will put on a hat) and say congratulations to them. It will have been a fantastic performance if they manage it. And I have nothing against Townsend, other than against us I wouldn't wish anything other than success for him if he leaves.

I strongly dislike the term "sexy", particularly coming from Spurs fans. I dislike it's use, I dislike the connotations it seems to come with. I don't think there's anything wrong with selling a young player that has done alright, but ultimately doesn't look good enough and not particularly well suited to our style of play. Selling a player to a potential top 4 rival is something different though. Perhaps we wouldn't let him go to Leicester for that reason...

Next to Walker, the worst decision maker in the squad. Watching Townsend is sooooo frustrating, however, saying that, I would like to wish him well in his endeavours.

Next to Walker, the worst decision maker in the squad. Watching Townsend is sooooo frustrating, however, saying that, I would like to wish him well in his endeavours.

Unfair on Walker, Walker is more a concentration thing, he has 1 or 2 lapses per 90 minutes

Townsend can/does play a full 90 minutes of constantly making the wrong choices, think he sometimes tries too hard, obviously frustrated with his lack of playing time. One of those players who it probably would be best for him to reset somewhere else and try to build his career.

Hard part for him is even if he got a regular game with us, he would probably be one of those we upgrade on over time ...

Walker?

Christ on a bike, Townsend is not good enough.

Walker makes a mistake that does not make him "not good enough", if it does we will be looking for a new goalkeeper because every player makes mistakes!

Walker?

Christ on a bike, Townsend is not good enough.

Walker makes a mistake that does not make him "not good enough", if it does we will be looking for a new goalkeeper because every player makes mistakes!

Indeed, Townsend is show boat player ( a boat which rarely goes anywhere) Walker is a top RB who gets far more stick from fans then he deserves ( imo).

Unfortunately for Townsend he is not the right player for this system. As others have said, he's a winger who looks best in a counter-attacking side.

I agree on Fazio but I question your comment on Vorm as he remains an effective number 2

Vorm has dropped clangers in roughly half his appearances for us. He might be a decent #1 at a lower club, but he doesn't have the mentality of a #2.

Poch seems to have lost faith in him too. He's not featured since the Arsenal disaster.

Shay Given also said the other day that he very nearly signed for us in the summer when Lloris injured his wrist

Back