• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andros Townsend

yeah, does he get in that team though?

They do like fairly direct wingers that attack a full back on their own a lot of the time. They also have a decent history of getting a lot out of players that didn't quite make it at bigger clubs.

I don't think he would walk into their team. But given some time it could be a very good move for him. To become an automatic starter I think he has to aim a touch lower.

Jesus, has anyone else read Hoddles article in the Mail on Sunday this morning?! He talks a lot of nonsense, especially when saying Townsend should be in the team ahead of Lamella!

At 24 years old he needs to be a regular starter for someone and it doesn't look like it will be us. I'm disappointed for the guy and he is obviously frustrated himself but he really needs to think of his career at this stage. I'd hate to see him at West Ham though.

He reminds me a lot of Obertan and I think the Saudi Sportswashing Machine bench is his level unless someone can play him/get him to play as a winger down the left taking on the fb and putting crosses in.

Jesus, has anyone else read Hoddles article in the Mail on Sunday this morning?! He talks a lot of nonsense, especially when saying Townsend should be in the team ahead of Lamella!

Quite a few people were saying the same on here no more than about half a year ago. Those voices have seemingly disappeared a bit though.

Very happy Hoddle isn't our manager though. So fudging happy.

Glenn Hoddle says Tottenham must pick Andros Townsend over Erik Lamela

Glenn Hoddle has urged Tottenham Hotspur to drop Erik Lamela and select Andros Townsend against Arsenal.

The former Spurs boss is a big fan of Townsend, and believes he is not being given a fair crack under current head coach Mauricio Pochettino.

He told The Mail that he feels Erik Lamela is not justifying his place in the Tottenham team as a week in week out starter, and should make way.

Hoddle explained: "The fact is that Erik Lamela isn’t delivering consistently enough for a player who cost £30million. Spurs would be better off with the pace and penetration of Townsend out wide.

"When Lamela first came, Townsend responded and was the best wide player in England.

"The Argentinian couldn’t get in the team but now he has displaced Townsend, he’s not delivering anything special. Which is why Townsend deserves his chance."

Hoddle did not ignore Townsend's recent bust-up with a member of the club's coaching staff, adding that he felt the winger's exasperation was easy to understand.

Townsend has recently lost his place in the England squad, and could look for a move away from the club in January to save his chance of being picked for Euro 2016.

Selecting him against Arsenal would be a risky move given his lack of first team football, while Erik Lamela has been impressive in recent weeks.

He may never be the player Tottenham wanted him to be when they paid £30 million for his signature, but the 23-year-old is showing signs of promise early on this season.

Lamela has a goal and an assist in his last two Premier League games, and taking him out of the team for Townsend right now is a switch Pochettino is unlikely to make.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2015/11/07/hoddle-urges-tottenham-hotspur-to-pick-townsend-over-lamela/

----------------------------------------------

This is why Hoddle failed as a manager. He may be a legend as a player but totally clueless as a manager. Not sure on what basis he wants the out-of-sorts Townsend to replace the in-form Lamela in the team.

lol glen do you watch spurs these days? Lamela is performing ... an average game from lamela is the equivalent of townsend at his best minus the 50 shots from 50 yards

holy crap I love hoddle but wondering if he has started smoking something, I was a big fan of townsend when he broke through, but his end product is awful his passing is awful his shooting is awful and his tracking back is awful

Lamela I have been critical of but he has played well this season, Poch has found him a place in the team and he deserves it as he has been very good. As for pace on the wing, I am wondering what Hoddle is watching because it is clear to me that Poch prefers any pace to come from the full backs over lapping and he likes the wider midfielders to be sort of pressing into the striker position.

Wow love hoddle but he got that massively wrong.

Hopefully moved on somewhere for £10m+ if anyone is silly enough to pay that in January. Get someone in RWF who is dynamic and has intelligence to replace him.

hoddle has always had entrenched views on particular players, he had no hesitation in cutting gazza when he was england manager, glenda is very single minded about certain players

If there was any doubt before it is now official, and Andros Townsend got the memo this evening, his Tottenham career is now effectively over.

I wish him good luck for the future in January

I think you're absolutely right. It's a shame, but Onamah has shown me today why Poch doesn't seem to be bothered much with the prospect of Townsend moving on. I think a move to a team like Swansea would be good for him.

Fazio and Vorm too

I think Vorm will stay as backup keeper. We won't find much better despite the fact you hate him ;)

Fazio must be injured or something, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him go as well as Townsend. I would be surprised if we sell Vorm mainly because I think his value to us is more than the value any other club would be willing to pay.

I will feel sorry when/if he goes. I do share and agree with the concerns in this thread, mostly about his decision making, but I still think there is a good player in there somewhere and on top of that he is true Spurs fan (which buys him some leeway in my book).

Townsend's quick rise to the international stage has played a part in his downfall at club level IMO. He does seem like a very confident young man and I'm sure playing for your country at a young age has only added to the confidence he has in his own ability. But for me this boost in confidence has coincided with a corresponding decline in his ability to make the right decision on the pitch. The more he tries to impress the worse decisions he makes. It is Bentley'ish.

If he does turn his Spurs career around it will be a better comeback than Lazarus.

Back