• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andros Townsend

can't bet on any competition your club is in.. so he wouldn't be able to bet on Capital One Cup, FA Cup or Prem I believe.

Ah yes of course. It makes perfect sense.

Well I suppose if he has a bit of gambling problem then maybe something like this could make him consider stopping. I like a little flutter myself but I know a few people where gambling had all but consumed their weekly income. Madness.

can't bet on any competition your club is in.. so he wouldn't be able to bet on Capital One Cup, FA Cup or Prem I believe.

Or had been in or will be in (knocked out or FA cup round 2 etc.).. There is a lovely little video around with Graeme Le Saux narrating that explains it all.

Unfortunately, THESE are the details which we don't know about players. If Andros has a gambling issue, it will affect his thinking, preparation and performance, not to mention concentration.

We've had a winger of great great promise before who went down the dark road of betting...Matthew Etherington.

I hope Andros can come back from this, rid himself of whatever 'issues' he 'might' have, and focus on being al he can be and more...but the devil is in the details, especially with managers like AVB...

I don't like how he's been made out to be a gambling addict. Obviously we don't know the details but putting on a few bets here and there does not an addict make, just like someone having the odd beer doesn't make them an alcoholic or someone with a "problem"

Unfortunately, THESE are the details which we don't know about players. If Andros has a gambling issue, it will affect his thinking, preparation and performance, not to mention concentration.

We've had a winger of great great promise before who went down the dark road of betting...Matthew Etherington.

I hope Andros can come back from this, rid himself of whatever 'issues' he 'might' have, and focus on being al he can be and more...but the devil is in the details, especially with managers like AVB...

Not sure he ever had great promise, as a good winger needs to have a good cross on him and Etherington's crossing was abysmal even with Hoddle as his coach and Ziege to learn from!

Jumping to conclusions a bit here steff, or am I misreading you?

I don't see any reason to think that this is an indication of an underlying issue rather than just a young man making a silly mistake.

If there is a real issue here I'm glad to see him get punished, could be a very good step towards fixing that situation. Something the club should be on top of if there is something to fix. For now though I'm just going to assume that everything is fine and dandy and that Andros will be ready to rip teams apart for us come next season :)

Andros: Gambling cost me my Euro U21 dream

ANDROS TOWNSEND began gambling to kill the boredom of staying away in hotel rooms.

The Tottenham winger’s first flutter was on televised matches during loan spells at Leeds and Birmingham last year, all prior to his stint in the Premier League with QPR.

In a frank and exclusive interview, remorseful Townsend revealed:

How he placed bets via a phone app.

How he only learned he broke betting regulations after a bookmaker informed him they were reporting him to the FA.

How pulling out of England’s European Under-21 Championship squad this summer broke his heart.

And how he plans to help the FA and Tottenham educate youngsters about the perils of gambling.

Townsend, 21, was banned for one month by FA bigwigs, ruling him out of the Young Lions’ squad competing in Israel. He was also handed a suspended three-month ban if found guilty again in the next three years and fined £18,000.

He said: “It all started while watching games in my hotel room.

“I was bored and there were TV ads promoting bets you could have on the matches I was watching.

“So I downloaded the phone app and started having small wagers to make watching games as a neutral fun. It was like giving myself a team to support.

“I was incredibly naïve and didn’t realise I was doing anything wrong. I assumed as long as you weren’t betting on your club, then it was OK.

“In December, the betting company informed me they were reporting me to the FA for breaching betting regulations, as you can’t bet on games in a competition that either your loan clubs or parent team had played in during that current season.

“So when I was at Birmingham and Leeds, I would’ve been prohibited from betting on Championship and FA Cup matches and, because I was a Spurs player, on Premier League, Europa League and League Cup games.

“I knew I’d broken the regulations on a number of occasions and when I spoke to the FA I was fully regretful and was ready to accept the deserved punishment.

“Speaking honestly, there was never anything sinister going on.

“There was no match-fixing, no betting on my team to lose, no inside information and I certainly NEVER bet on Arsenal to finish higher than Spurs, as suggested by people on Twitter!

“But I was stupid. I’m angry with myself because I’ve always been proud of how I conduct myself off the pitch.

“I don’t drink, don’t go to nightclubs, I’m never in trouble and always dedicate myself to being a successful professional footballer.

“But now there is a stain on my reputation, and deservedly so, which means I now must show everyone it was a mistake and I’ve learned from it.”

His stupidity has cost him severely. Townsend had to withdraw himself from the England U-21 squad the moment the charges were announced by the FA.

The Tottenham ace got rave reviews during an eye-catching loan spell in the Premier League at QPR and was looking forward to representing his country at a major tournament.

He said: “I was heartbroken. It was one of my top aims for the season — to be on the plane to Israel.

“As soon as the charges were announced I switched off my phone for a whole week. I was so devastated.”

Because Townsend pulled out of the championships, the FA backdated his ban to May 23.

And the winger aceadded: “Some people may think I’ve got off lightly but I’ve missed one of the world’s biggest tournaments. I was fully excited to be part of it.

“And to have that taken away for an off-the-field issue has left me devastated.

“It was my last chance to play for the Under-21s too and I’ll never be able to get that back. It’ll always serve as a permanent reminder of my stupid actions.”

When Townsend switched his phone back on, he received a text from Spurs boss Andre Villas-Boas.

Now the winger plans to seek professional advice from Sporting Chance — the organisation set up by former Arsenal and England star Tony Adams to help counsel sportsmen who suffer from addictions — and help the FA and Spurs educate other young players.

He said: “The manager told me not to get too downhearted.

“He said everyone at the club was behind me and they’d help me through it.

“I want to help educate players and let them know the repercussions of betting on matches that they’re not allowed to bet on. I’d hate for anyone else to suffer my fate.”

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...cost-me-England-Euro-dream.html#ixzz2VTqhJlQD

As long as he learns from this mistake no problem. Footballers have done alot worse. Personally i see a lot of potential and I am optimistic that he will do well for us

actually i wonder what kind of support the club provides for young players.

in the real world, there are all kinds of corporate trainings and certifications to get employees geared up towards government and industry regulations; and you would expect the same for footballing companies where their high-stake investments (players) can so easily run into any kind of penalties that they may not be aware of, especially given the high number of foreigners here. i hope the clubs are doing more than just leaving it to the players agents.

Very good interview, heartfelt and honest as far as I can tell. Seems like a good kid, I think he will bounce back nicely.

Like I've said before I don't think missing out on being a part of the Pearce-adventure will hold him back significantly.

actually i wonder what kind of support the club provides for young players.

in the real world, there are all kinds of corporate trainings and certifications to get employees geared up towards government and industry regulations; and you would expect the same for footballing companies where their high-stake investments (players) can so easily run into any kind of penalties that they may not be aware of, especially given the high number of foreigners here. i hope the clubs are doing more than just leaving it to the players agents.

Very interesting question, one where I suppose there won't be many good concrete answers as the club is unlikely to divulge much information about what's being done behind the scenes to help support our younger players.

I think it's an area with a lot of potential for improvement for a lot of clubs, some clubs seem to produce a lot of model professionals whilst others struggle. I think our recent crop of youngsters coming up through the academy and being signed at an early age seem quite level headed.

Are you talking about Ulrika Johnson?

tumblr_m9lg40eEac1qmbnfoo1_400.gif

Re: Nacer Chadli ***Official***

Also, we have basically added Sandro, Kaboul, Paulinho, Chadli, Townsend to a team that missed a CL spot by 2 points

Still think we will add to the striker pool.

Townshend won't be part of the future mate. Trust me on that one ;-)

Back