• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: Avb done (official)

Poor guy. I genuinely have no idea who we get to replace him...I think a myriad of factors combined to make it a tough few months, and I don't think it was all his doing. If everyone at the club stuck together he could have turned it round. That he didn't is a shame but we have to move on.

Buggered if I know what the direction is we should take now though.

He will walk into a job at Porto IMO

It was a dammed if you do, dammed if you don't decision

Sack him and we look incredibly short sighted but it's done with the best interest of the club. Keep him and back him and who knows where we will end up!!!!

I personally don't think it makes us appealing to any geat manager currently in a job but it does make us attractive to those out of work as it's arguably the best job available in Europe now

Levy HAS to take some the blame for this. At what point does he stop and actually employ the right person for the job? If my CEO continually employed ****ups questions would be asked

they would still have to be **** ups though. implying that avb is one as well

but then in the grand scheme of growth levy has taken us from mid table mediocirty to actually thinking about title challenges. he has done his part

tjhe only off key thing about this is that AVB wasnt given time to accomplish his....he was not succedding and you can judge him at this point but he wasnt even close to being out of it

Re: ***The Official AVB Discussion Thread***

Interestingly enough, AVB has a better win percentage from his first 80 games in charge than both Wenger, Redknapp and Rodgers (in 72 games). Under AVB's first 80 games in charge, we've also lost fewer games than those three managers. I'd argue this shows he must be doing something right?

AVB:
44 wins
20 draws
16 losses
55 % win rate

Redknapp:
40 wins
18 draws
22 losses
50 % win rate

Wenger:
40 wins
23 draws
17 losses
50 % win rate

Rodgers: (72 games)
36 wins
18 draws
17 losses
50 % win rate

Edit: Guess the collection of stats didn't matter much when he got fired during the process! :lol:](*,)

This club is.....

ShipSinking-1.jpg

Do not get this club sometimes. The man really promised so much and should've been given one more strike, yet we're now going to have to pay him until 2015, money that would've been better spent on players. No one ever seemed to dislike him in the dressing room bar BAE and Ade.

Honestly feel for him.

Thanks for the efforts you made to try change an unchangeable club from bottlers to winners. Good luck for the future.

For all the hope and optimism around a proper structure and long-term plan being put in place...
up in smoke.

The only hope now is that the replacement gets an immediate galvanising response from the players.

He's a good manager, you only need to hear him speak about the game to understand that. You also don't go a season unbeaten and win the Europa League if you're a bad manager, no matter how many people try and discredit those achievements. The big moves have all just come a bit too early for him, it was time for him to go and i'm glad he has but in time he'll be successful elsewhere.

I disagree. On balance, over a season, I think he was getting very close. In his last season, I do hold him responsible for bending over for the FA and taking his eye off the ball. But the run we were on until February was ridiculous. That was down to him too. People don't want to give Harry the credit for that. Had it not been for a ridiculous run of events in the CL, he'd have qualified us for a second time in three seasons. That's overachievement with the resources we had/have.

Like I say, we may get above one of the sides now and again but we won't do it consistently unless we get some oil money.

I agree, people are quick to peg the declines on the manager but wont credit the good times.

And I mean that CL run was decent when you take into account we beat Milan in Milan and got to a QF against Real..........

I think you are a little off there

Jan Vert if played in the correct place is class

Paulinho might not be Messi but he plays regular for one of the top international sides in the world, as does Sandro

And before we got our claws into him Soldado was the third top scorer in La Liga for the past 3 season behind two of the best players in the league.........

I think Vertonghen is a very good player. But is he world class? Not for me. Subjective term I know but the fella is missing something. Maybe he'll continue to improve but he's looked a bit dejected and disinterested in some games he's played for us.

Paulinho? Not seeing it. He's better than he's been playing for us but a top player? Not at all.

Soldado? Good finisher? Perhaps. But he's 28 and he doesn't get mentioned as world class by anyone. He ain't gonna make that step up at this stage. He can be better than he has been for us though.

Sandro is a beast. Love watching him play but he has a way to go yet before he's in the same bracket as VdV, Bale, Modric (different positions I know).

For me, it's just Lloris that's at the top level. We have a lot of very good players and players with potential.

This is interesting from the official message on the OS:

We shall make a further announcement in due course.

You would think they have a new manager/head coach lined up already then

We sell our best players, we fire coaches before mid season, or off season, we are in constant transition. Does anyone we have know how to run a club ?

Arry's prophetic words, we never knew when we had it so good ...

I think the 'thousand yard' stare at the end of the game was the final straw.. He just looked totally lost and that lack of action must have come across to the players at other times....

Defoe has scored just 1 league goal in 2013 and we then buy Soldado, another small striker, and he has also scored just 1 league goal apart from penalties. That is terrible and AVB just couldn't seem to see it and so I lost faith in him...

He will walk into a job at Porto IMO

It was a dammed if you do, dammed if you don't decision

Sack him and we look incredibly short sighted but it's done with the best interest of the club. Keep him and back him and who knows where we will end up!!!!

I personally don't think it makes us appealing to any geat manager currently in a job but it does make us attractive to those out of work as it's arguably the best job available in Europe now

I hope he does go back to Portugal or just stays away from football, especially the UK. He was unfairly treated I think by the press.

I just don't understand...why do we keep looking towards these guys with a system and a long term plan if we aren't going to expect bumps along the way? Levy and Lewis want title challengers, they want to spend no money net to do it, and while we are supposed to be on this road to title challenging superstardom, we have to be in the top 4 as well when we've only been in the CL once in our lives.

The expectations at our club are ludicrous to be honest. Why sign 7 foreigners, acknowledge that they take 6 months to settle and then sack the guy before they do so. It's just pointless. We may as well not have bothered sacking Harry.

Basically I don't believe this is all AVB's fault. The expectations are obscene and impossible within the time frames he was given.

Interestingly enough, AVB has a better win percentage from his first 80 games in charge than both Wenger, Redknapp and Rodgers (in 72 games). Under AVB's first 80 games in charge, we've also lost fewer games than those three managers. I'd argue this shows he must be doing something right?

AVB:
44 wins
20 draws
16 losses
55 % win rate

Redknapp:
40 wins
18 draws
22 losses
50 % win rate

Wenger:
40 wins
23 draws
17 losses
50 % win rate

Rodgers: (72 games)
36 wins
18 draws
17 losses
50 % win rate

Edit: Guess the collection of stats didn't matter much when he got fired during the process! :lol:](*,)

That's the problem with perception.

Fewer losses, but those losses were by a larger margin. Whilst that makes virtually no difference whatsoever to the final outcome of our season, it makes those who think without logic feel that we're doing worse than under manager who lost more.

I disagree. On balance, over a season, I think he was getting very close. In his last season, I do hold him responsible for bending over for the FA and taking his eye off the ball. But the run we were on until February was ridiculous. That was down to him too. People don't want to give Harry the credit for that. Had it not been for a ridiculous run of events in the CL, he'd have qualified us for a second time in three seasons. That's overachievement with the resources we had/have.

Like I say, we may get above one of the sides now and again but we won't do it consistently unless we get some oil money.

im more than happy to give credit where it is due and when Capello had initially resigned i stated i wanted Redknapp to sign a new contract to put the England stuff to bed so he could focus on what should have been a title challenge that season (and by effect i also wanted him to manage beyond that season)

what i disagree with is that 4th/5th/4th was a managerial master stroke, we had the team to finish in those positions and in all fairness we should have finished higher in at least one of them. what Redknapp deserves credit for is building/tweaking the team/squad to get to the level where we could actually be peeved at finishing 4th. I don't think he knew how to get the very best out of the side he built for a sustained period - no good looking like world beaters for half the season and then having extended runs of relegation form when it comes to the crunch - you've proven how good we can play - it's now your job to maintain those levels over a season, something which he ultimately failed to do

I'm still reeling from losing Modric, King, VdV and Bale in 12 months. Thats a lot of quality gone, and any manager will suffer trying to replace that.

But, we should have done.

Back