• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: **Official** Andre Villas Boas - Head Coach

Paid wum taking a carefully calcluated swipe in a pathetic attempt to add more pressure in the media. Ignore, lads

I agree with this:

Many people have said that all AVB had to do to succeed was continue the good work done by Redknapp and build upon healthy foundations. But that’s just not the case. Totally ignoring the players we’ve lost for a moment, AVB’s having to repair rotten foundations, re-build the soul of the team, boost confidence and morale, get a losing team back to winning ways.

Our form now is a hangover from our form at the end of last season. AVB was given a team that was rock bottom in so many respects. We may have finished fourth, but that did not adequately represent just how truly awful we’d been in 2012.

If you take the second half of our season – the second set of 19 games – we won just seven matches. A win percentage of just 36%...and three of those wins (none of which were convincing) came in our final four games. If the league existed just over that period of time we’d have been in 9th position, behind Wigan, Fulham, Everton and the usual suspects.

Those figures include an additional game for us compared to all the other sides (the postponed Everton match @ WHL, because of the riots). If those three points are discounted, we drop to 11th place.

There’s been lots of people saying “mid-table here we come” and such, well mid-table’s been beckoning for a while. We’ve had the form of a mid-table side for 5 months prior to AVB’s arrival. This isn’t his fault, our poor early season form isn’t exclusively of his doing.

If you look at the nine game run from the 5-2 loss at the Emirates in February until the 1-0 loss to QPR in April – a period that represents almost a quarter of the season – we were 19th in the form guide. Played 9, won 1, drew 3, lost 5. 6 points from a possible 27. Goals scored = 9, goals conceded = 14. 0.67 ppg. Only Wolves were worse off. Only two sides (Wolves and Norwich) conceded more goals.

Five teams conceded five goals twice or more in a single game in the league last year, and we were one of them. Norwich, QPR, Bolton and ourselves conceded five goals twice, Wolves conceded five goals three times. Two of the five teams are now in the Championship.

We’ve been crap for a while. Not only is AVB having to prepare for life after King, Modric and van der Vaart, he’s also having to turn around the fortunes of a club that has been in a six month slump. Frankly, given the form of the side it’s easy to see why AVB is happy to undertake wholesale changes to the squad. And it’s also clear that it will take time for AVB to mend a broken team. And that's what AVB inherited: a broken team, not a title-challenger.

We've got one of the best squads in the Premier League. To say we have a broken team is ridiculous. The exact same argument could have been made based on the 2nd half of the season before last. Arsenal could have said the same after the first half of last season. It's called having a run of good form and then a run of bad form. Having a man sent off and a deflected goal was all that prevented us from regaining 3rd and winning 4 on the bounce. If teams are judged over 12 games periods, then we could have argued that we were one of the best Prem teams ever based on our run in the first half of last season. Of course it's nonsense, as is the suggestion that we are a broken team.

All that's happened is we had a poor run, in which we had some terrible luck, followed by a poor start to the season. But I seriously doubt our rivals look at our squad and think we are anything other than one of the best in the Prem. Yes we've lost good players, but we've bought in some very good players. Fulham lost their 2 star players to us and their captain. Yet they smashed both WBA and Norwich at home. In his BBC interview Jol even mentioned how it was a new way of playing for them, yet they made it work. Arsenal lost their 2 best players and their captain. There is no point making excuses and using selective evidence to support them. We've undeniably got a squad capable of challenging the top 4. We just need a bit of luck to get that first result and then try and put a bit of a run together.

Judge AVB on what he does and not what you want him to be. It's natural that our fans want him to be hugely successful, but when he isn't don't try and convince yourselves it's necessarily justified by massively exaggerating issues that numerous other clubs are dealing with. My feeling is AVB wont be a success, based on my understanding of his and footballs history. But I don't want him to fail and I'm not going to try and explain the successes we have under him, as luck or not due to him. I'm going to judge him entirely fairly on what I see. There is no point trying to pretend that we should be improving on the Redknapp regime, as personally I think that will be hard. But likewise, there is equally no point pretending he's got a particularly tough job and that he's fixing a club that was on it's knees.

Basically we just need to wait and see. We need to be honest about what we are seeing, rather than thinking up reasons to excuse the bad or dismiss the good. At the moment I don't see much evidence of that.

Last edited:

So we're still blaming HR for the utter brick we had to watch against Norwich the other week?
Forget about the lack of movement and chances, the two holding midfielders who offered little creativity, the lack of support from the full backs, Bale doing exactly what he was doing last season in our slump period - coming infield and swapping sides with Lennon, something that simply does not work, the whole fudging fiasco.
Nothing to do with avb at all - a hangover from Harry, ok I get it now.

I mean how can we expect avb to get the team playing football again after our slump at the end of last season? It's ludicrous to expect a manager to come in and make an impact on the team so soon. It's not happened before so why should it happen now?

We need a win tomorrow or things could get very ugly very quickly!

*sigh*

It doesn't matter what he inherited, or what he's had to deal with. Playing a midget striker on his own up front with two holding midfielders at home to Norwich and leaving Adebayor and Dembele on the bench is fudging macaronic. Doing it once against West Brom was stupid enough but to not learn from his mistake is inexcusable.

I'm not denying that he's got a difficult job on his hands. But he should not get the benefit of anybody considering mitigating circumstances when judging him if he's getting the basics so horrifically wrong.

*sigh*

It doesn't matter what he inherited, or what he's had to deal with. Playing a midget striker on his own up front with two holding midfielders at home to Norwich and leaving Adebayor and Dembele on the bench is fudging macaronic. Doing it once against West Brom was stupid enough but to not learn from his mistake is inexcusable.

I'm not denying that he's got a difficult job on his hands. But he should not get the benefit of anybody considering mitigating circumstances when judging him if he's getting the basics so horrifically wrong.

It's great that people believe we have appointed a complete macaron who has no understanding of the game at all.

A new philosophy is Introduced, having had most of the squad off to the Euros since his appointment, lost our best player, international breakes, it's not easy to get to team working together.

Porto, not having watched them, I suspect played some decent ball. Swansea didn't look too shabby under Rodgers. Both teams struggling to get results because of new ideas being brought in.

Sit back, support the team and say our prayers at night. Rome wasn't built in one day, I should know, I just came back from the city yesterday and it was fudging fantastic!

*sigh*

of course it bloody does, you may not agree that we ended the season in a poor run of form (second half of the season 9th in the form table) or that losing 3 of our best players will effect our performances compared to last season or even that apart from Harry Kane Jermaine Defoe has been our only option up front - but to me it adds weight to Villa Boas' defense when judging our first few games this season and comparing them to us at our best last year

we are in a totally different place to the end of of 2011 and mostly that is out of his hands (key players gone and the striker situation) meaning that if people insist on judging him on the performances we had when things were going well - then it is only fair, imv, to take in to account the transfer window AND the last few months decline in our on the field return and maybe, just maybe we should give him some time to get us back in to shape

Last edited:

I was at the WBA game and saw the Norwich game. Two below-par performances, poor substitutions and not many positives to note. Early days but even so people shouldn't feel they can't bring up negatives just for that reason.

We've got one of the best squads in the Premier League. To say we have a broken team is ridiculous. The exact same argument could have been made based on the 2nd half of the season before last. Arsenal could have said the same after the first half of last season. It's called having a run of good form and then a run of bad form. Having a man sent off and a deflected goal was all that prevented us from regaining 3rd and winning 4 on the bounce. If teams are judged over 12 games periods, then we could have argued that we were one of the best Prem teams ever based on our run in the first half of last season. Of course it's nonsense, as is the suggestion that we are a broken team.

All that's happened is we had a poor run, in which we had some terrible luck, followed by a poor start to the season. But I seriously doubt our rivals look at our squad and think we are anything other than one of the best in the Prem. Yes we've lost good players, but we've bought in some very good players. Fulham lost their 2 star players to us and their captain. Yet they smashed both WBA and Norwich at home. In his BBC interview Jol even mentioned how it was a new way of playing for them, yet they made it work. Arsenal lost their 2 best players and their captain. There is no point making excuses and using selective evidence to support them. We've undeniably got a squad capable of challenging the top 4. We just need a bit of luck to get that first result and then try and put a bit of a run together.

Judge AVB on what he does and not what you want him to be. It's natural that our fans want him to be hugely successful, but when he isn't don't try and convince yourselves it's necessarily justified by massively exaggerating issues that numerous other clubs are dealing with. My feeling is AVB wont be a success, based on my understanding of his and footballs history. But I don't want him to fail and I'm not going to try and explain the successes we have under him, as luck or not due to him. I'm going to judge him entirely fairly on what I see. There is no point trying to pretend that we should be improving on the Redknapp regime, as personally I think that will be hard. But likewise, there is equally no point pretending he's got a particularly tough job and that he's fixing a club that was on it's knees.

Basically we just need to wait and see. We need to be honest about what we are seeing, rather than thinking up reasons to excuse the bad or dismiss the good. At the moment I don't see much evidence of that.

I do agree with your post to an extent, I don't think our squad is actually significantly weaker and we do still have a bloody good team, but that still doesn't mean we won't maybe take some time to adapt to the new methods. Some teams may have adapted quicker and have bad form later, while some may take a while but really start firing once they do.

It's fine to 'judge on what you see' but you still have to acknowledge that some things may take time. I even take the point about Fulham, it's annoying they have a new way of playing and seem to have been doing it better than us already, but there's also the example of Liverpool that are still to get a win while having new methods. Yes they played well today but we've also played well in patches, to go to 5th place Saudi Sportswashing Machine and play how we did shows some promise too.

I also think it's fine to explain the success or reasons for failure amongst ourselves, it's a football forum and people are interested in why stuff is happening. We may get it completely wrong but it's fun to discuss for some people.

On the fact that Jol have got his team playing despite losing key players - the fact is even if it's a slightly new way of playing for them, I don't think the difference will have been as drastic as the difference between working under Harry and his methods and expectations of how to play vs AVB's.

I think we can expect a bit of a bedding in period. It can't go on for too long but we don't know if it will do yet. If we are bottom half in a few months then we can be concerned I reckon.

Only 3 games into the new season and...

The end is nigh? Villas-Boas has three games to save his Tottenham job

Daniel Levy is reportedly not prepared to sit back too long and see Tottenham’s campaign sabotaged by poor early-season results

Under-fire Tottenham boss Andre Villas-Boas has three Premier League games to save his job, writes The People.

Problems are piling up for the Portuguese gaffer as he tries to establish a new regime at White Hart Lane. Fans booed Spurs off the pitch after the home draw with Norwich a fortnight ago, a result that meant they are without a Premier League win all season.

The development and recruitment chief at the club, Tim Sherwood, has been marginalised by AVB who is also at loggerheads with chairman Daniel Levy over his insistence on fielding 41-year-old American Brad Friedel in goal ahead of new £12million summer signing Hugo Lloris.

The club’s scouting network is in disarray, with chief scout Ian Broomfield leaving – and former Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp heaped pressure on the dossier-led managerial style used by Villas-Boas with his claim that “bull**** baffles brains”.

Now, if Spurs lose at Reading today and then QPR in their next league game, Levy will **** the trigger – and a likely defeat at Manchester United soon afterwards will see AVB fired.

The Spurs chief, sacked by Chelsea earlier this year after just eight months in charge, has seen his club lose to Saudi Sportswashing Machine and scrape draws with West Brom and Norwich so far this season.

Levy is not prepared to sit back too long and see Tottenham’s campaign sabotaged by poor early-season results.

The chairman, looking to appoint a director of football once the season settles down, is disappointed by AVB’s start to his job at Tottenham, while most fans are still puzzled as to why Levy sacked Redknapp in the first place.

Old school boss Redknapp last week hinted club owners are dazzled by the new breed of manager, saying: ”These days you are getting 70-page dossiers on this and that. Bull**** can baffle brains at times.”

The departure of Broomfield by mutual consent last week severed the last link with the Redknapp regime, as AVB looks to establish his own power base.

Redknapp brought Broomfield from Portsmouth and he helped bring in stars like Friedel, midfielder Sandro, now Brazil’s captain, Rafael van der Vaart, Kyle Walker and Younes Kaboul.

Broomfield helped co-ordinate the signings of Jan Vertonghen, Mousa Dembele and Clint Dempsey last month, but was disappointed the club failed to land midfielder Oscar, who joined Chelsea instead.

People Sport understands Tottenham’s scouts were called to the training ground for a meeting on Friday, as AVB attempts to re-organise behind the scenes.

Villas-Boas wants things done his way and that means Sherwood, a significant figure in Redknapp’s reign, has little involvement.

France No.1 keeper Lloris, signed on deadline day, has already made it clear he’s unhappy at playing second fiddle to Friedel.

But AVB doesn’t seem to mind who he upsets – the same single-minded approach that ended his Chelsea career inside nine months.

As well as Reading today and QPR next Sunday, Tottenham also face Lazio in the Europa League, Carlisle away in the League Cup before the trip to Old Trafford, where AVB’s short reign could come to an end.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/andre-villas-boas-has-three-games-to-save-1326409

He's up against it that much is true. Hope he creates a united, it's us against the world mentality amongst the players.

:ross: :ross: :ross: :ross: :ross: :ross: :ross: :ross:

AVB may well turn out to be an absolute disaster, but that article is just the biggest pile of toss I've ever seen. It just makes them look stupider if he does actually do well for us.

Hahaha, what the flying fudge? British tabloid journalism at its absolute worst. The journalists are closing in on the marketing people on being at the top of the absolute brick pile of careers you can choose for yourself.

[video=youtube;gDW_Hj2K0wo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDW_Hj2K0wo[/video]

Let's just take the ridiculous claims one by one from that article:

1. 'UNDER-FIRE'...it's been 3 games.

2. 'Without a Premier League win ALL season'...it's been 3 games.

3. Tim Sherwood has been MARGINALISED...no doubt trying to insinuate some sort of 'Anyone from Harry's regime was a football genius' sentiment.

4. AVB's INSISTENCE on playing 41 year old Brad Friedel over Hugo Lloris....because confirming that he will play at least one more game after putting in an un-droppable performance in the last match while the new guy hasn't trained enough is obviously the sign of a managerial clutz.

5. The club's scouting network is in DISSARAY....how dare AVB want to bring in his own staff. What an evil man.

6. Harry Redknapp swiped at his DOSSIER-LED MANAGERIAL STYLE...because he has clearly won more trophies than AVB in ten times as many years to do it in.

7. BROOMFIELD HELPED CO-ORDINATE the signings of many players signed by AVB and Levy, and now he has gone, I can only assume we will be scouring League 2 for bargain basement buys from here on in. No Broomfield, no success.

8. AVB wants things done HIS WAY!!!!! Evil, evil man.

9. Lloris unhappy playing SECOND FIDDLE to Friedel, because the actual quotes saying he is going to fight for his place mean nothing.

10. AVB DOESN'T MIND WHO HE UPSETS...oh just fudge off.

Back