• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: AVB The Facts

He has to play the best players....systems will not work...if it means relegating players...

so far he has not shewn any knowledge of substitutions...

so it all looks a bit bleak..

but we certainly have the players to challenge for top4..thing is..........mmmmmmmmm

Why do you not think systems will work, if you have to drop players?

They appear to be working for Swansea, who lost the vital cog in their own system.

Surely in order to play his best players, he will have to 'relegate' (I assume by relegate you mean drop) some of his players anyway?

Our squad hasn't been this balanced for a long time imo. We now have a squad filled with versatile players that can play a number of positions which i really like.

I've always thought fitness was the main reason why teams score/concede late goals. Which is worrying because you would think a manager like AVB would take fitness very seriously. It's also winning mentality hence why United get so many late goals. It's also worrying because under Redknapp, we had started to score late goals and win games late on, something we didn't do much previously, and concede fewer late ones. Hopefully it's a blip and we haven't reverted to type.

Some managers base pretty much all of their preseason work on fitness and stamina. It's supposed to make the first couple of months very difficult but allow for stronger performances in the long run. However, players are usually very reluctant to spend so much time without actually touching a football so in this day and age of 'player power' nobody does that anymore and I certainly haven't heard of anyone in England working that way.

I remember some Iranian guy at Bayern claiming he saw players threw up after preseason training sessions when Magath was there. Puel used roughly the same method but he ended with a revolt when he was at Lyon. Guy Roux took the same approach before them and presented some compelling arguments with actual stats to back them up.

Then again, I really don't think that's what Villas Boas did here. Hopefully, it's only due to a lack of organisation as nayimfromthehalfwayline suggests. Otherwise that would be a very worrying trend.

Er no... I think he's just trying to reward good form and hard work in training! You get yourself fit, you impress in training, look prepared and do it on the pitch you'll keep your place!

jump into the llloris thread and look on page 5 for a quote from our hugo

this is what footballers are like in general. also consider the post from gogolak

edit:- The quote is from the Deschamps , French Manager, speaking on behalf or echoing Hugo Lloris

Last edited:

I know, mate - simply find his comment hillarious

What does he expect? You need to earn your place in any new team.

Our squad hasn't been this balanced for a long time imo. We now have a squad filled with versatile players that can play a number of positions which i really like.
Yeah I agree with that. Some might say that we lack depth in a few areas, but the likes of Vertonghen and Naughton can cover at left back - with the latter also being cover for the right back spot (same with Gallas). I really like the Dempsey signing - being able to play across any of the front three and also in behind the striker. If you look at some of Man United's title-winning squads, they had quite a few players that could play in various positions (Phil Neville, John O Shea, Valencia, Giggs, Nani, Jones, Smalling etc).

I have not enjoyed pre season, the transfer window or the first few games but that is more to do with the dealings and frustrations surrounding transfers.

However I have (hands up) started to become negative and have my head swayed by the press on AVB and will draw a line under it today. The press do not deserve the time of day and AVB is our manager like it or not, therefore deserves our time and support. If we as fans support the witch hunt of AVB then the poor bloke stand even less of a chance than he does already especially with the press and rival supporters all using him as a kicking post.

You have to ask yourself this, who would you rather support, the manager of your team or the press???

AVB I wish you all the best buddy and hope you can bring success to our club.....

Last edited:

Why do you not think systems will work, if you have to drop players?

They appear to be working for Swansea, who lost the vital cog in their own system.

Surely in order to play his best players, he will have to 'relegate' (I assume by relegate you mean drop) some of his players anyway?

Systems systems ... I'll hold my hands up and admit it...I dont get systems

I know you have to change things around if a player is not effectively playing well in that position or having a bad game!

Basically I believe{for every drop of rain that falls..lol] that good players can see how each other play and will automatically fit into each others style.

You play to your strengths ans weaknesses.

I remember seeing some world class players brought together for a testimonial at WHL and they wiped the floor with the team we put out.

If you can play ...you can play..and if you cant make something happen ..you aint the best of players......................

Systems systems ... I'll hold my hands up and admit it...I dont get systems

I know you have to change things around if a player is not effectively playing well in that position or having a bad game!

Basically I believe{for every drop of rain that falls..lol] that good players can see how each other play and will automatically fit into each others style.

You play to your strengths ans weaknesses.

I remember seeing some world class players brought together for a testimonial at WHL and they wiped the floor with the team we put out.

If you can play ...you can play..and if you cant make something happen ..you aint the best of players......................

Harry is that you?

Harry is that you?

hah, that's what i thought.

But in jest.

I do get what you mean, you should play to your strengths, but i'm not entirely sure what our strengths currently are. We now have four players all very capable of picking up the ball and running with it (Dembele, Bale, Lennon and Ade), but until they start picking up on each others movement off the ball they will run into cul de sacs.

Can you not create team strengths, and even weaknesses, via the system you play?

The pressing game for instance, you put pressure on them and you should pick up the ball in good positions from time to time, but the weakness is that if you don't use the ball well enough you tire out before then end of the game.

I feel that individual strengths and weaknesses do not always match team strengths and weaknesses. So it can't be purely down to the individuals.

Re: **Official** Andre Villas Boas - Head Coach

Paulo Sousa expects Andre Villas-Boas to be a success at Tottenham - but only if the supporters and chairman Daniel Levy retain faith in his philosophy.

The former Swansea, QPR and Leicester manager is generating success on a tight budget in Hungary, with Videoton, who have qualified for the Europa League and he is proud of the international achievement of Portuguese coaches in the recent years in the trail of Jose Mourinho.

He believes AVB can extend the record of success despite a faltering start at Spurs which has led to jeers from fans and questions from players who are unsure of his methods.

Sousa said: 'It is difficult for anyone to be Tottenham manager after Harry Redknapp. He is very popular in England and at Tottenham, with fans and players and the media.

'Then you're looking for the right profile of players to set out his own football identity and ideas and this takes time. The method of training will be different to what it was under Redknapp.

'If you get positive results it becomes easier, of course, because the convictions will become stronger but there are difficulties at the beginning of each process.

'I'm sure AVB will achieve success at Spurs if he gets time and support. If you identify all Portuguese coaches - not only Andre - our football education, our methods and ideas, will get success.

'In my opinion, January will be a fair time to judge.'

The same is true of Brendan Rodgers, another manager trying to implement fundamental style changes under the pressure of expectation at Liverpool.

'He has not changed as a coach because he moved from Swansea to Liverpool,' said Sousa.

'If his ways have won before, they will win again.

'When you sign a particular type of player, he sometimes doesn't suit the football philosophy at his new club and it's a big mistake when you make these decisions.

'One of the most difficult things for Brendan to achieve will be to change the culture of the fans. They are used to football that is different to the football he wants to put on the pitch.

'This is really hard to change at Liverpool. Fans are used to watching very competitive players with importance on block defending and a quick rhythm to the game with lots of action in the box.

'If the fans back him and want to change the way they see the game, they will be satisfied with his work.

'When the club owners took the decision, they knew Brendan's profile as a coach. I'm sure Brendan will be successful and with the understanding of the fans at the start he could be there for 20 years.'

Sousa speaks with experience of knee-jerk reactions from two of the most notorious sackers in the English game.

He survived only five months before he was axed by Flavio Briatore at QPR and four months before Milan Mandaric fired him at Leicester.

This season, Chesterfield and Coventry have been quick on the trigger, sacking John Sheridan and Andy Thorn before the end of August.

'Before, being a manager in England was to be allowed time to build on your concepts,' said Sousa.

'It was different to everywhere else but it has started to be more like the other countries.

'For the club to have success, everybody needs to be clear about the project, what they want to achieve when they consider the profile of a manager.

'If you keep changing it is terrible for the club. It is destabilising and it doesn't make economic sense.

'It is not easy to change culture and football philosophy. You need the desire and strength to change. You are asking the fans, the heart of the club, to accept a different kind of football.

'The process of growing will include negative results and if they're not supportive it is really hard.

'It's easier to start the process in League One or League Two, where you can build and motivate yourself and then arrive in the Premier League with stability like Swansea, where the chairman Huw Jenkins understands the vision.

'It has been a bit easier for Swansea working in Wales than it is for Tottenham or Liverpool.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2198711/Andre-Villas-Boas-succeed-Spurs-says-Paulo-Sousa.html

Andre Villas-Boas was a candidate for Burnley manager's job after Owen Coyle went to Bolton Wanderers

Andre Villas-Boas’s managerial career in England almost began at Burnley instead of Chelsea, a new book has revealed.

The 34-year-old Portuguese is seeking his first victory at Tottenham after his Stamford Bridge tenure lasted just nine months. Yet Burnley could have appointed him after Owen Coyle left in January 2010 to take over at Bolton. Villas-Boas, then in charge of Academica in his homeland, gave a hi-tech presentation.

In his soon to be released book Magical: A Life In Football, former Burnley chief executive Paul Fletcher wrote: “Mickey Walsh, an old playing colleague of mine, got in touch with me to describe Andre as being a real up and coming hot prospect.

“He sent a very detailed and lengthy application for the job. His CV and Powerpoint presentation were amazing. Even by today’s standards there was some complicated stuff in it, with some things that I didn’t understand.

“Tommy Docherty used to say he never said anything to his players his milkman wouldn’t understand. I don’t think any milkman would fathom the meaning of a lot of Andre’s presentation.

"The language and jargon of football gets worse by the day. Villas-Boas uses a lot of it. Would Burnley players have ever understood what he wanted if he’d told them to 'solidificate’ or some of his other terms?

"It’s a fascinating thought, one of the many ‘ifs’ in football. If Andre Villas-Boas had been manager of Burnley’s Premiership team; would he have saved the season? With hindsight, we might have appointed him, but at the time it would just have been too big a risk.”

Brian Laws got the job but failed to save Burnley from relegation

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/tottenham-hotspur/9526667/Andre-Villas-Boas-was-a-candidate-for-Burnley-managers-job-after-Owen-Coyle-went-to-Bolton-Wanderers.html

^^^
thats why british football is in the doldrums.
outdated managers and owners who don't see the value of a disciplined and organized setup.
brendan rogers for england !

Andre Villas-Boas was a candidate for Burnley manager's job after Owen Coyle went to Bolton Wanderers

Andre Villas-Boas’s managerial career in England almost began at Burnley instead of Chelsea, a new book has revealed.

The 34-year-old Portuguese is seeking his first victory at Tottenham after his Stamford Bridge tenure lasted just nine months. Yet Burnley could have appointed him after Owen Coyle left in January 2010 to take over at Bolton. Villas-Boas, then in charge of Academica in his homeland, gave a hi-tech presentation.

In his soon to be released book Magical: A Life In Football, former Burnley chief executive Paul Fletcher wrote: “Mickey Walsh, an old playing colleague of mine, got in touch with me to describe Andre as being a real up and coming hot prospect.

“He sent a very detailed and lengthy application for the job. His CV and Powerpoint presentation were amazing. Even by today’s standards there was some complicated stuff in it, with some things that I didn’t understand.

“Tommy Docherty used to say he never said anything to his players his milkman wouldn’t understand. I don’t think any milkman would fathom the meaning of a lot of Andre’s presentation.

"The language and jargon of football gets worse by the day. Villas-Boas uses a lot of it. Would Burnley players have ever understood what he wanted if he’d told them to 'solidificate’ or some of his other terms?

"It’s a fascinating thought, one of the many ‘ifs’ in football. If Andre Villas-Boas had been manager of Burnley’s Premiership team; would he have saved the season? With hindsight, we might have appointed him, but at the time it would just have been too big a risk.”

Brian Laws got the job but failed to save Burnley from relegation

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/tottenham-hotspur/9526667/Andre-Villas-Boas-was-a-candidate-for-Burnley-managers-job-after-Owen-Coyle-went-to-Bolton-Wanderers.html

This man sounds so stupid. Of course the players would understand the term solidificate, because I'm sure AVB would explain it to them. It's probably just a catch all term for a certain type of defensive organisation to carry out at a certain point in the game, not some football equivalent of witchcraft!

This man sounds so stupid. Of course the players would understand the term solidificate, because I'm sure AVB would explain it to them. It's probably just a catch all term for a certain type of defensive organisation to carry out at a certain point in the game, not some football equivalent of witchcraft!

What a dingdong. Turn down AVB and then appoint...... Brian Laws!!

Unbelievably.

Back