• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: **Official** Andre Villas Boas - Head Coach

Really don't think the media actually matters all that much to be honest right now, and I'm not sure it will for a good few months or even this season. I get the sense that the project AVB has been brought in to do is far bigger than the usual media tripe, and I can't see Levy for a minute bending to it.

Re: AVB The Facts

We have a distinct lack of proper footballers in the team, people who can carry the ball at various speeds and spot a pass. All successful teams are built upon good ballplayers . In fact I would go on and say that our only two true technical players left are Hudd and Dembele, both pale in comparison to the recently departed Modric and Van Der Vaart.

Liverpool have made a bad start. Man United could have easily lost their first 2 games after today. Arsenal started off with 2 uninspiring draws. This is a funny season. We were terrible against Norwich but it's been a strange start all round. That's a big indicator that we can't read too much into these games. Sometimes, implementing a new way of playing simply does take time. City, United, Arsenal all have managers that have been there a few years and Chelsea have a sugar daddy as well as coming off the confidence of a CL win. Liverpool are trying to implement a system. It isn't going to be easy.

Arsenal and Man Utd have won games and played some really good football. For me it is the performances that have annoyed me, bad results but good performances would lead me to praise the manager. Bad performances but winning games would lead me to praise the manager. But its 0 wins (from VERY winnable games) and brick performances.

Liverpool are different to us, because they dont have a squad as good as ours. They have had an away game and then Emirates Marketing Project and Arsenal at home. Rogers wont last long either though if they dont win games, for a manager who has a whole pre-season it would be fair to expect instant results or signs of good things to come. The key these days is to win games while implementing a new system (another point could be that the system we have played so far is not one that looks like it will ever win games).

If you had to analyse which team has made the worst start taking into account squad, fixtures, results and performances - then there isn't 1 team worse than us.

In your opinion, what would it take for you to sack AVB ? what is your minimum requirements at 10 matches played, 20 / 30 and 38 ?

I remember I asked someone that question when Harry took over, they didnt like Harry so I asked what position do you think we should finish and would you like him if he does? The poster told me come 8th and he would be impressed. We came 8th, he still didnt like Harry.

Arsenal and Man Utd have won games and played some really good football. For me it is the performances that have annoyed me, bad results but good performances would lead me to praise the manager. Bad performances but winning games would lead me to praise the manager. But its 0 wins (from VERY winnable games) and brick performances.

Liverpool are different to us, because they dont have a squad as good as ours. They have had an away game and then Emirates Marketing Project and Arsenal at home. Rogers wont last long either though if they dont win games, for a manager who has a whole pre-season it would be fair to expect instant results or signs of good things to come. The key these days is to win games while implementing a new system (another point could be that the system we have played so far is not one that looks like it will ever win games).

If you had to analyse which team has made the worst start taking into account squad, fixtures, results and performances - then there isn't 1 team worse than us.

In your opinion, what would it take for you to sack AVB ? what is your minimum requirements at 10 matches played, 20 / 30 and 38 ?

I remember I asked someone that question when Harry took over, they didnt like Harry so I asked what position do you think we should finish and would you like him if he does? The poster told me come 8th and he would be impressed. We came 8th, he still didnt like Harr
y.

I don't think that poster was me, but I will say now, I was impressed by what Redknapp did, but never really liked him (note: didn't hate) so it was possible to be impressed without changing opinion of the person.

I remember I asked someone that question when Harry took over, they didnt like Harry so I asked what position do you think we should finish and would you like him if he does? The poster told me come 8th and he would be impressed. We came 8th, he still didnt like Harry.

Thats precisely it - performances. People seem to think we want AVB fired, I certainly dont, but the performances have been dull and boring. Can you give me two chances we had against Norwich yesterday? I doubt it.

AVB actually couldnt have picked better fixtures to start with.

We looked good against Saudi Sportswashing Machine, and created many opportunities against West Brom. Not denying Norwich was bad or that West Brom didn't come into that game very well, but we have seen signs of things to come.

I agree that with a whole pre-season I would have thought the players would have been more comfortable with these new ideas, but it's not as if they have been 3 shocking performances. Norwich was a terrible one, but at the very least in that game we were fairly solid. It was a bad game all around, us with the ball, but they didn't trouble us all that much either.

It would take something monstrous to sack AVB, because I think the project he has been brought in to achieve is bigger than one season. But we should be fighting for top 6.

Thats precisely it - performances. People seem to think we want AVB fired, I certainly dont, but the performances have been dull and boring. Can you give me two chances we had against Norwich yesterday? I doubt it.

AVB actually couldnt have picked better fixtures to start with.

People yesterday were actually suggesting we didn't have the personnel to beat WBA and Norwich at home! Would more than 5 players from both teams combined get in our starting 11?

I didn't agree with the AVB appointment, but I hope he gets it right and rams it down my throat, that's the difference.

The performances have been uninspiring so far to say the least. I think he deserves a season at the least, but Spurs fans are not exactly renowned for patience, and it's going to get ugly at the lane if the results are similar to the first 3 games.

We looked good against Saudi Sportswashing Machine, and created many opportunities against West Brom. Not denying Norwich was bad or that West Brom didn't come into that game very well, but we have seen signs of things to come.

I agree that with a whole pre-season I would have thought the players would have been more comfortable with these new ideas, but it's not as if they have been 3 shocking performances. Norwich was a terrible one, but at the very least in that game we were fairly solid. It was a bad game all around, us with the ball, but they didn't trouble us all that much either.

It would take something monstrous to sack AVB, because I think the project he has been brought in to achieve is bigger than one season. But we should be fighting for top 6.

We played well in the first half against the baggies, but we never looked like scoring and Foster didn't have any saves to make.

Sign of things to come? We look shaky at the back. We are going to have to score A LOT of goals this season to win games.

People yesterday were actually suggesting we didn't have the personnel to beat WBA and Norwich at home! Would more than 5 players from both teams combined get in our starting 11?

I didn't agree with the AVB appointment, but I hope he gets it right and rams it down my throat, that's the difference.

The performances have been uninspiring so far to say the least. I think he deserves a season at the least, but Spurs fans are not exactly renowned for patience, and it's going to get ugly at the lane if the results are similar to the first 3 games.

I dont want to harp on about it but there is no escape.

If you are served up caviar last season and then soon after served up a pile of brick - people will generally want to go back to the caviar.

We just need to move on and forget last season as it were

Re: the media are desparate for AVB to fail

Bollox to the media and bollox to all of those "right now" types who want immediate success. If that is want you want, go and "support" a team who need to advertise their season tickets in a free evening news paper, or go to the Etihad, where empty seats abound.

Amen brother.

We played well in the first half against the baggies, but we never looked like scoring and Foster didn't have any saves to make.

Sign of things to come? We look shaky at the back. We are going to have to score A LOT of goals this season to win games.

We don't look shaky at the back really, only one part of one of our games have we looked truly shaky and that was because AVB was forced to go to a formation that I don't think he considers ideal.

After this international break I wouldn't expect us to go to that once AVB can play his signings more regularly.

We created many scoring opportunities vs WBA though.

We don't look shaky at the back really, only one part of one of our games have we looked truly shaky and that was because AVB was forced to go to a formation that I don't think he considers ideal.

After this international break I wouldn't expect us to go to that once AVB can play his signings more regularly.

Diasgree. We looked like conceding on plenty of occasions in both home games, we looked good against Saudi Sportswashing Machine.

We created opportunities against West Brom, but never tested Foster. To me, having lots of possession, but not forcing the keep to make any saves isn't battering a team as many would state it is.

We dont look shaky at the back? WBA we looked fudging shaky. Yesterday the whole game we looked shaky.

Maybe the absence of Kaboom is a bigger loss than first thought as we looked ok against Noocastle.

We dont look shaky at the back? WBA we looked fudging shaky. Yesterday the whole game we looked shaky.

Maybe the absence of Kaboom is a bigger loss than first thought as we looked ok against Noocastle.

I think it is simply a matter of the whole team not looking set on what AVB wants to do yet. When that happens, we don't look great with the ball, and we can concede a few chances up top. I wouldn't say we were shaky yesterday though. It was a boring game. I was never really worried about Norwich, I was just utterly depressed watching us.

Look at Arsenal today. A whole team drilled, knowing exactly what they are doing. As Rodgers just said on MOTD, they are 15 years into that way of working. And every player suits that way of playing. They will be a force this season, won't win the league but they are a good shout for 4th.

Look at Liverpool. A couple of months into a new way of working. A couple of players that don't really suit that way of playing. They try and play out from the back, they do well, they break into space. And Gerrard gets the ball. Bang, they lose it. His natural inclination is to force a pass through. That's the kind of thing that means transition will take time. Whether it's Liverpool, us, anybody. A drastically new way of playing isn't going to come instantly.

I don't think AVB has actually fully been trying to play how he wants these past few games. I don't see that we have been pressing as high as we can. I don't see us keeping possession like we should be. I think he is trying to ease the players into it. He's actually trying to make them realise that his way is what they need to do. And he's trying to buy good will by playing some of the established players still. For example, he knew Rafa was gonna go, but we played him against WBA. Clearly not vital to his plans, because he hasn't been playing the way he wants us to really yet. It's been an awkward half way house as he beds himself in.

Get Lloris playing in goal, get Ade fit upfront, Dembele in midfield and Dempsey in the forward positions, and I think we will see a drastic difference. I think then we will press. Then we will try and keep the ball better. Then we will stop trying to force balls through quickly to Bale and Lennon. I'm actually pretty comfortable with our prospects for the season how it stands.

I think it is simply a matter of the whole team not looking set on what AVB wants to do yet. When that happens, we don't look great with the ball, and we can concede a few chances up top. I wouldn't say we were shaky yesterday though. It was a boring game. I was never really worried about Norwich, I was just utterly depressed watching us.

Look at Arsenal today. A whole team drilled, knowing exactly what they are doing. As Rodgers just said on MOTD, they are 15 years into that way of working. And every player suits that way of playing. They will be a force this season, won't win the league but they are a good shout for 4th.

Look at Liverpool. A couple of months into a new way of working. A couple of players that don't really suit that way of playing. They try and play out from the back, they do well, they break into space. And Gerrard gets the ball. Bang, they lose it. His natural inclination is to force a pass through. That's the kind of thing that means transition will take time. Whether it's Liverpool, us, anybody. A drastically new way of playing isn't going to come instantly.

I don't think AVB has actually fully been trying to play how he wants these past few games. I don't see that we have been pressing as high as we can. I don't see us keeping possession like we should be. I think he is trying to ease the players into it. He's actually trying to make them realise that his way is what they need to do. And he's trying to buy good will by playing some of the established players still. For example, he knew Rafa was gonna go, but we played him against WBA. Clearly not vital to his plans, because he hasn't been playing the way he wants us to really yet. It's been an awkward half way house as he beds himself in.

Get Lloris playing in goal, get Ade fit upfront, Dembele in midfield and Dempsey in the forward positions, and I think we will see a drastic difference. I think then we will press. Then we will try and keep the ball better. Then we will stop trying to force balls through quickly to Bale and Lennon. I'm actually pretty comfortable with our prospects for the season how it stands.

Put it this way im looking forward to how this season goes only because im intrigued. It has been dull and unimaginative but I cant imagine AVB wants that and cant imagine Porto were boring to watch.

Last year when we signed Adebayor on loan didn't he come straight in to the team? What is so different about this season?

Was he last season? If so, and he wasn't this year, then I understand the situation a bit more.

Pretty sure he weren't last year, I believe he refused to train with the reserve team

Back