• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: the media are desparate for AVB to fail

So we are down to the "change" word are we!? In the nicest possible way, who gives a flying fig!?

Having witnessed "Transfer Deadline Day" for myself, it brought something sharply into focus for me, namely that the media manufacture stories and feed off our constant desire for "information and gossip". Some of our “so called” fans then perpetuate this situation by openly damning and criticising the club, the managers and the players on forum sites like this and by hiding behind their anonymity at WHL by booing the team.

As a 48 year old, who has supported the club through thick and thin all of my life, I preserve the right to hold on to my own independent thought, which is why I do not buy newspapers, I do not subscribe to Sky and take everything I read with a pinch of salt.

I remember with bitter irony that night a few years ago when we got thrashed by the other North London team in the Carling Cup. The real fans, i.e. those with independent thought and a real passion stayed and openly supported the club. The others, headed for the exits and an early train home, which is where they can stay as far as I am concerned.

Generally great post. I do think it's perfectly reasonable to criticize/pass comments and thoughts on the match on forums such as these BUT agree that long-term there MUST be patience and there MUST be support. I never leave early and I never ever boo our own players at matches. I believe, long-term, it will absolutely pan out supremely well. I do think a couple of very, very fundamental issues need sorting. Watching the dippers today, I couldn't help but wonder how well Allen would do in our side (probably in place of Livermore - I know sefnot, don't have a fit of surprise!-) but in lieu of this, I feel Tom Carroll has to be groomed and drafted in ASAP...

Generally great post. I do think it's perfectly reasonable to criticize/pass comments and thoughts on the match on forums such as these BUT agree that long-term there MUST be patience and there MUST be support. I never leave early and I never ever boo our own players at matches. I believe, long-term, it will absolutely pan out supremely well. I do think a couple of very, very fundamental issues need sorting. Watching the dippers today, I couldn't help but wonder how well Allen would do in our side (probably in place of Livermore - I know sefnot, don't have a fit of surprise!-) but in lieu of this, I feel Tom Carroll has to be groomed and drafted in ASAP...

From his performance today he would not do well at all. He had an awesome pass accuracy, however his creativity was pretty much zip.

Re: **Official** Andre Villas Boas - Head Coach

I was wondering about Carroll, I mean Townsend is on the bench so I'm sure he trusts the kids to an extent if they're good enough. Maybe AVB feels it's a year too early for him in the PL?

Re: AVB The Facts

Would like to see next game

------------------Lloris------------------

--Walker---Dawson---Vert------Benny

---------Parker----Dembele---------

--Lennon--------Dempsey-------Bale

------------------Adebayor-------------

subs: Freidel, Naughton, Caulker, Sandro, Sigurdsson, Townsend, Defoe

I agree except I don't think Parker will be fit enough to start yet so Sandro or Livermore to start. Surprisingly the latter has played better than the former so far.

I would take Sig out and fudge him out of our team and squad - biggest waste of space. Send him on a place packing somewhere. I have never disliked one of our players even the brick ones but I just simply do not rate the guy. Simple.

Wow, that is very punchy DHSF. The guy is not Pele but we've had far worse in the squad. We've got worse in the squad. He hasn't played all that well so far, but the guy is not bad, give him a chance to gel in.

People have the right to be concerned, surely?

Definitely, I too have my concerns, but some seem to be calling for AVB to be killed on the centre spot before the next match.

I said before the start of the season that as long as we aren't in a relegation battle and try and play attractive attacking football (especially at home) then AVB has my backing for a couple of years. The problem is we've just drawn two games at home against two teams who will possibly be involved in the end of season relegation battle and worse than that we're playing dour negative football. So I freely admit that I am concerned, but hope that my concerns are unfounded. I've also said that away from home these results would be good ones, so all we need to do now is ensure on the return legs we beat them at their place and it won't harm us at the end of the season!!

Fair enough but we played well at Saudi Sportswashing Machine. The first 30 mins against West Brom we were ripping into them but had Defoe in the middle who couldn't get near anything.

The Norwich game we were super-flat, that was really bad. Maybe all the players had been up til 2am helping Levy to fill in the forms for Moutinho. I agree Norwich was very poor particularly the first half. Eventually somebody managed to shift the ball and shoot (Dembele). That's all it was, no rocket science, no lung bursting 50 yard sprint, just a touch of class.

I've just seen Saudi Sportswashing Machine draw with Aston Villa at home. Villa are tipped to get relegated and Saudi Sportswashing Machine are lauded as the best thing going.
I've just seen Man Utd* struggle badly at Southampton and be rescued in the last 5 minutes by 2 strikes from their £60m pound man (fee and wages were something like that IIRC) who got a tidy hattrick.
How much better we would be if we could lash out that sort of cash on one player.
Liverpool haven't scored and lost at home.

I know you'll say "Forget about them, I'm talking about Spurs" but it does take time for teams to bed in and get things right, we should all be concerned but not to the point of knee jerking and making conclusions, as the jury is out for now, far too early IMO.

*If Man U had got Defoe up front, they too would have struggled... Adebayor should be match fit now so if he starts the next game I think we'll be in business as Defoe just hasn't got it.

I would take Sig out and fudge him out of our team and squad - biggest waste of space. Send him on a place packing somewhere. I have never disliked one of our players even the brick ones but I just simply do not rate the guy. Simple.

Nothing like getting behind our players, what a pathetic post after only 3 games

Think some people need to be aware of the term quality not quantity. There are a few posters posting a lot of 1 line drivel to every single post that criticises the start we have made.

Its this simple, AVB has made a brick start and we have been awful. This is a summary of the opening 3 games. They were brick with some real dodgy decisions from the manager. How else can we sum up the opening 3 games ?

Making an honest assessment of the first 3 performances doesnt mean we don't recognise that it is early days and could just be a bad start, or that the manager doesnt need time. However "transitional" people may see this season, we still have to produce results and perform well during that time. Time for AVB to win a few games or we let someone else make the transition (funny i could never imagine man utd, chelsea, Emirates Marketing Project or Arsenal accepting transition seasons, its instant top 4 or sacked).

Not exactly.. it made me feel sad writing it... :(

it is quite sad that the only player worth anything after 3 games is our goalkeeper. AND we've just brought supposedly one of the best goalkeepers in the world too. very sad

From his performance today he would not do well at all. He had an awesome pass accuracy, however his creativity was pretty much zip.

Thing he did do though, was feed players who (supposedly) can create. I genuinely feel that both Bale and Lennon looked bewildered yesterday as both are used to both having a world class cycler like Modric to help feed them as well as full-backs who push on. I think he's exactly the sort of player who would get our main men (Bale, Lennon, Dembele) on the ball quickly...

It is sinking in what a loss VdV is without having secured Moutinho. Oh well, onwards and upwards...

Re: **Official** Andre Villas Boas - Head Coach

I was wondering about Carroll, I mean Townsend is on the bench so I'm sure he trusts the kids to an extent if they're good enough. Maybe AVB feels it's a year too early for him in the PL?

Indeed, it might be, and there's always a risk when bringing a young player into a pressure situation... but sometimes, well, you have to gamble...

Think some people need to be aware of the term quality not quantity. There are a few posters posting a lot of 1 line drivel to every single post that criticises the start we have made.

Its this simple, AVB has made a brick start and we have been awful. This is a summary of the opening 3 games. They were brick with some real dodgy decisions from the manager. How else can we sum up the opening 3 games ?

Making an honest assessment of the first 3 performances doesnt mean we don't recognise that it is early days and could just be a bad start, or that the manager doesnt need time. However "transitional" people may see this season, we still have to produce results and perform well during that time. Time for AVB to win a few games or we let someone else make the transition (funny i could never imagine man utd, chelsea, Emirates Marketing Project or Arsenal accepting transition seasons, its instant top 4 or sacked).

Liverpool have made a bad start. Man United could have easily lost their first 2 games after today. Arsenal started off with 2 uninspiring draws. This is a funny season. We were terrible against Norwich but it's been a strange start all round. That's a big indicator that we can't read too much into these games. Sometimes, implementing a new way of playing simply does take time. City, United, Arsenal all have managers that have been there a few years and Chelsea have a sugar daddy as well as coming off the confidence of a CL win. Liverpool are trying to implement a system. It isn't going to be easy.

Wow, that is very punchy DHSF. The guy is not Pele but we've had far worse in the squad. We've got worse in the squad. He hasn't played all that well so far, but the guy is not bad, give him a chance to gel in.

Ok dislike is a harsh word. I guess its coming out wrong. My main gripe is that I see no point in him in our team. Dont get me wrong - I wouldnt boo him or get on his back etc at a game so dont think I would be doing that. My main point is I am unsure what his purpose and value is - especially now that we have Dempsey.

Its not about his performances or whatever as I had said this at the time of signing - its about 8m down the drain really. I think us getting in Dempsey and Sig evidences a scatter approach to the transfers. UNLESS Dempsey is supposed to be playing on the right of the front three?

Where does this sense of self entitlement come from? What happened last season that has convinced people that we DESERVE to be in the Champions League and winning trophies? Last season we were 13 points clear of Arsenal in 3rd place. Could you imagine any of Arsenal, Man U, Chelsea, City or Saudi Sportswashing Machine just giving that lead up in the way that King Harry's charges did? This run of form is not anything new. AVB has come in to a team that was floundering before he took over.

Yes, for sure we could have got our business in the window done earlier, but when have we ever done that? Like it or not this is a season of transition as we have a new manager and have lost key players, therefore we have to let the new manager sort out the team and get them playing the way he wants them to. This takes time. Spurs fans calling for his head isn't exactly going to help things as he's already under enough pressure from a baying media who want him to fail. I mean, for gods sake we're all meant to be supporters of this football club, that includes the manager. People laugh at Spurs fans for being fickle, knee-jerkers. It's obvious why. Grow up and support the club.

Agreed........give the manager a chance.... but for gods sake leave Sandro on the pitch!

anyway.... we have to see some common sense .....football wise....

Back