• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

I see this season as a preparation for the next one. Implementing a new style and trying to find the missing pieces of the puzzle. Levy's previous has been to sack the manager for far more than just missing out by one spot in the league.

How many of those exactly have we had since Jol's first 5th place finish?

Last edited:
How many of those exactly have we had since's first 5th place finish?

Is there truly planning for the future at a football club, outside of infrastructure? Especially with our Chairman's reputation as a hatchet man. If we fail to qualify for the Champion's League and Bale leaves because of that, then we can kiss goodbye to finishing in the top four next season in my opinion. That wouldn't necessarily be AVB's fault either. No Manager is given time anymore unfortunately, but success cannot be achieved without it.

How many of those exactly have we had since's first 5th place finish?

How many times have changed manager and done an overhaul of the squad? We are making some fundamental changes this season and it would be foolish to expect immediate results. Upon reflection I don't really get your question. Are you saying we've not achieved anything worthwhile in the last few years?

How many times have changed manager and done an overhaul of the squad? We are making some fundamental changes this season and it would be foolish to expect immediate results. Upon reflection I don't really get your question. Are you saying we've not achieved anything worthwhile in the last few years?

It related more to Levy's transfer policy comments and DHSF's post

Every transfer window goes by with failed expectations of actually strengthening where we desperately need to instead of buying younger players with potential massive resale for profit - Jol mentioned that 7 years ago and little has changed over the years. Redknapp wasn't given the opportunity to build - fair enough if he wasn't seen as the right man - however, absolutely nothing seems to have changed with AVB who is supposedly here to implement his medium-term project? Hmmm… Looking at our transfer dealing so far - how many more seasons are we going to justify that with 'next season'?

Last edited:
What did he say?

To be honest I don't think he wants another striker, because I think he wants the personnel to play a different style and system. What we're playing right now is a stop gap until he can get the players he needs.
Said he know he's taking a risk but he doesn't think we need a striker. The defeat today (yesterday) wasn't down to us missing chances so can't really blame not having a striker for that. It just sounded pretty definate to me this time. like it's really been thought out and that's the conclusion.

Every transfer window goes by with failed expectations of actually strenghtening where we desperately need to instead of buying younger players with potential massive resale for profit - Jol mentioned that 7 years ago and little has changed over the years. Redknapp wasn't given the opportunity to build - fair enough if he wasn't seen as the right man - however, absolutely nothing seems to have changed with AVB who is supposedly here to implement his medium-term project? Hmmm.. Looking at our transfer dealing so far - how many more seasons are we going to justify that with 'next season'?

Redknapp got to build a fairly decent squad. In his first windows we spent serious cash. Combined with an inflated wage bill we no longer have the option of doing that. The ins and outs have to be balanced against each other. All managers complain about not getting all the players they want (have you ever listened to Benitez or Mancini?), but we do not have infinite resources. How about they get on with coaching the ones they have, like AVB is doing? We have to prioritize what positions need to be strengthened. This summer we did a major overhaul and it took a few months to get into a rhythm, but we still managed to pick up enough points to put us where we want to be. We are matching, if not exceeding, expectations for a first season. Next season we'll start with a more settled squad and a squad that know the system we want to play.

Next season? In this case that's more than justifiable. All the ranting about needing to sign more players is just baffling, I can barely be bothered to respond to it anymore. Read the numbers, look at the facts. We spend if and when we can, but we won't take any unnecessary risks. The concept of the manager being in sole charge of transfers is a very British one and an outdated one at that. No matter what the media tells you.

I'm not sure where you got the idea of 'wanting to sign more players' for the sake of it or who is busy advocating that?

To my mind - there are 2 crucial positions we are desperately lacking - a creative midfield player who can (ideally) cover out wide, along with a clinical striker who compliments out overall set-up. Along with trimming a few fringe untis of little worth.

That is not 'more players' for the sake of it - simply addressing unbalanced aspects of our squad which would improve the team exponentially, and have us pick-up a few extra points down the line. We might be 4th now but that is by no means an indication of where we'd finish. We danced this move already two seasons in a row - strong position on the log in January - opportunity to consolidate in the transfer window - opportunity missed. How many more seasons are we going to say 'well, in the summer we'll do it properly and prepare well.' Then we had Arry to 'blame' while now, I'm not sure what's left - Freund?

Next year the squad might be more settled but the overall quality would be the same, while our rivals would have most likely (as precedent strongly suggests) strengthened substantially. Read the numbers, you say - we'll apparently those very same 'numbers' had us on the brink of signing Moutinho 4-5 months ago for a sum in excess of £20m - so what has happened in that short space of time? Either that bid was a media hoax deadline day propaganda or we're saving a few chips for rainy days on the right player. Well, that 'right' player might not be interested to come in August after we finish 7-6th and lose Bale to Madrid but have a settled squad with Dempsey and Hudd.

Those two players will cost a small fortune. Which is why we might have to wait a little longer before they arrive. As for Moutinho, maybe Porto don't want to sell or he doesn't want to move halfway through the season? And maybe AVB doesn't want us to spend that money on someone else this window?

It's all just assumptions, just like a big signing in previous windows would have meant a higher finish in the table. What does preparing properly mean? Did we not sign 5 players this summer that are now 1st team regulars plus Sigurdsson as a useful squad addition? Or does it have to be a £20+ million striker of top quality?

Those two players will cost a small fortune. Which is why we might have to wait a little longer before they arrive. As for Moutinho, maybe Porto don't want to sell or he doesn't want to move halfway through the season? And maybe AVB doesn't want us to spend that money on someone else this window?

It's all just assumptions, just like a big signing in previous windows would have meant a higher finish in the table. What does preparing properly mean? Did we not sign 5 players this summer that are now 1st team regulars plus Sigurdsson as a useful squad addition? Or does it have to be a £20+ million striker of top quality?

I rather see us bring one quality player for a top dollar than 3 average ones for the same money - his impact would be much greated overall as has been the case in the past on numerous occasions (not only at Spurs but elsewhere in recent history) - although our transfer policy (of re-sale for profit) strongly favours the latter model so what are the chances.

Said he know he's taking a risk but he doesn't think we need a striker. The defeat today (yesterday) wasn't down to us missing chances so can't really blame not having a striker for that. It just sounded pretty definate to me this time. like it's really been thought out and that's the conclusion.

I dont think we lost because we didnt have a striker but with a striker as a main focul point we will have created. You cant created if you have no focul point and no player to create chances for. Dempsey is not a striker, I know he scored, but the way he plays etc he just isnt a striker.

This discusssion crops up time and time again simply because we havent resolved the issue. Ade, whilst was good last year, wasnt the answer (although a decent buy for £5m) we got him in simply as it was convenient. My view point of course.

I feared from day one this season that not getting in a top striker may hinder us. It certainly has eg last week against Manure we should have beaten them had we a striker capable of finishing off chances.

I am a big fan of Defoe and he has done well but unfortunately to get us beyond where we are now we may need better thats not to say we sell Defoe but just an improvement.

Redknapp got to build a fairly decent squad. In his first windows we spent serious cash. Combined with an inflated wage bill we no longer have the option of doing that. The ins and outs have to be balanced against each other. All managers complain about not getting all the players they want (have you ever listened to Benitez or Mancini?), but we do not have infinite resources. How about they get on with coaching the ones they have, like AVB is doing? We have to prioritize what positions need to be strengthened. This summer we did a major overhaul and it took a few months to get into a rhythm, but we still managed to pick up enough points to put us where we want to be. We are matching, if not exceeding, expectations for a first season. Next season we'll start with a more settled squad and a squad that know the system we want to play.

Next season? In this case that's more than justifiable. All the ranting about needing to sign more players is just baffling, I can barely be bothered to respond to it anymore. Read the numbers, look at the facts. We spend if and when we can, but we won't take any unnecessary risks. The concept of the manager being in sole charge of transfers is a very British one and an outdated one at that. No matter what the media tells you.

Yep this is a good post and i agree with it, like most clubs now we spend what we make but not more, i like that think it is the way to go. Agree with the thing about coaching our players as well, i can see AVB doing this and also giving us a style of play to fall back on. Also as i have said in the youth thread i honestly think that the club want to see us produce our own players for the first team suad more, levy has said this is important a number of times.

Do not think we will do a major overhaul this summer but maybe try and get rid of a few high earners like gomes, bentley and jenas and maybe even ade. That right there would free about 7m.

Also think that levy will give AVB more time, for one reason i think he hates the pay offs that he has given to managerss in the past and also he has learnt from his mistakes. Can see him giving AVB time because he is the sort of coach he has been after for a long time. Think he thought he had that man when he got ramos but obviously that did not work out but this time it looks like AVB actually has a plan.

The way the club is set up now with a style of play running through the youth teams means that i think even if AVB choose to move on that sherwood rightly or wrongly would be expected to come in as head coach and the rhythm of the club not to be affected.

Redknapp got to build a fairly decent squad. In his first windows we spent serious cash. Combined with an inflated wage bill we no longer have the option of doing that.
serious cash relative to what we normally do agree...and we did that in only ONE window when you talk about net expenditure. that would be the first one when the board were adamant of playing through the crisis

clearly Harry is doing the same at QPR , trying to buy the mentality back into the team and ditch the cancerous players
The ins and outs have to be balanced against each other. All managers complain about not getting all the players they want (have you ever listened to Benitez or Mancini?), but we do not have infinite resources. How about they get on with coaching the ones they have, like AVB is doing?

i think AVB is levy's guy, thats his number one boy right there. IMO AVB will be happy with what Levy decides either way. BUt obviously would rather levy providded resources
IN all honesty..i am surprised but at the same time not surprised that Levy hasnt backed him yet...if that makes any sense. i still think we are going to get a striker or midfielder in before close of this window though
We have to prioritize what positions need to be strengthened. This summer we did a major overhaul and it took a few months to get into a rhythm, but we still managed to pick up enough points to put us where we want to be. We are matching, if not exceeding, expectations for a first season. Next season we'll start with a more settled squad and a squad that know the system we want to play.
the chemistry remained relatively intact due to the number of the first team squad players that remained...and those players that were brought in adapted pretty quickly and were performing pretty much straight away.

personally i think we have the 4th or 5th best squad in the league but i also believe that we are exceeding expectations

the settled squad thing i dont agree with. its more or less settled now judging ffrom the personell thats out there.

agreed that we dont need players now, would be nice but we dont need them, not for what the board are happy with

i also agree with the thing about managers not being in sole charge of transfers. would be nice if people stop pause and think about this when saying managers are indecisive on transfers, cant pull the triggers on tranfser, or are soly responsible for brick signings over the tenure

By settled I mean starting the season with a settled squad. There will hopefully be less changes this coming summer.

Every transfer window goes by with failed expectations of actually strengthening where we desperately need to instead of buying younger players with potential massive resale for profit - Jol mentioned that 7 years ago and little has changed over the years. Redknapp wasn't given the opportunity to build - fair enough if he wasn't seen as the right man - however, absolutely nothing seems to have changed with AVB who is supposedly here to implement his medium-term project? Hmmm… Looking at our transfer dealing so far - how many more seasons are we going to justify that with 'next season'?

Whose expectation and are they realistic?

I feel sorry for AVB.

Last January a lot of people came on here saying how Levy will fully back the new Manager and the reason for our lack of signings last season was that Levy didnt trust Harry.

Hey fudgein presto - deja fudgein vu.

It is fudgein EVIDENT that we need one if not two quality players to bolster our squad as well as give us that extra forward momentum. Blah blah blah - we havent identified a player yet etc etc etc fudgein bull brick. If we havent identified anyone then the scouting network deserve firing.

I dont really care about the loss today but what im concerned about is if the lack of signings affect our extra push towards qualifying for CL. Im a believer of learning lessons and it appears (with four days to go) that we havent.

Top post!

Back